Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In Praise of Facewest

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As customer service standards seem to be slipping in many retail areas I just thought I'd post relating my experiences in trying to get a set of crampons for my ski boots. Looked at loads of sites at various different designs, took the advice of fellow snowHead s, and then decided to make a few calls to ensure I got the right ones. Tried three shops, who all claim to be the 'experts in all aspects of mountaineering supplies' or similar. Not one seemed vaguely interested in giving me advice or telling me which system would work best for what I wanted, standard response seemed to be "there are pictures on our website sir". Hopeless. Then rang Facewest. Totally different story. Initial person I spoke to said he didn't know much about crampons and ski touring but would get his colleague to call me back. Five minutes later I get a call, very knowledgable and helpful guy, tells me exactly what I need, pros and cons of various systems and where to find them on the website. Two minutes to order online, and now a day later the crampons have arrived and they fit exactly as advertised.

Well worth looking at their website if you are in the market for anything of an alpine nature
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice one Facewest
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another satisfied Facewest customer here. Bought a DTS Tracker from them which broke during the season (on/off button snapped off!). Sent it back to Facewest, new one returned within a week, no questions asked. With such an important piece of kit I was very happy with the service from these guys.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BGA, which crampons did you go for & why?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stubai Trek Lite Pro. http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/stubai/treklite.htm

Guy at Facewest said that design fits a ski boot closest - which it seems to do - also they fit the bill in terms of the type of terrain I'll be using them on, ie they are designed for hard glacial neve snow and ice. Apparently they will blunt if used a lot on rocks but that's not really the plan, I just want them for those bits of hard snow where you can't kick a step into. I had a couple of 'moments' last season when I had to walk across short exposed traverses and couldn't get any grip and as I imagine I'll be doing more of the same I'm not keen on repeating the experience. The other advantage is that they are very light so won't weigh the backpack down
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BGA, Did you get or have you got an axe? Gotta be able to self-arrest wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And of course the obligatory length of rope and assorted carabiners to attach to pack to really look the part.

I was actually thinking of going to Castleford tomorrow to try out the Gots with their new VIST bindings(!!) and also have a go with the crampons, but then it occurred to me that I would look a complete tw@t wandering round an indoor slope with big mountain skis and crampons so I might not bother.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BGA, Go on. I'll bring a camera Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy