Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland: Europe's heart of darkness?

Poster: A snowHead
In the dutch language there is a saying about the odd black sheep, and it is as old as it gets, certainly from before there were many/any black immigrants.

So the black sheep is used for something odd and unwanted (ya know, among the herd of white sheep suddenly a black one gets born), rather then a racist symbol towards black people. I wouldn't be suprised if other countries share a smilar saying. Certainly has the looks Switzerland knows a similar use.

These days people fall over little things like rows of domino stones... Are we so stuck up with everything we need to see racism in everything these days?

Especially when something is from another country, you just miss context!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ronald, I am afraid 'black sheep' are a massive thought crime to beardy, Guardian types like Brian, killian & lizzard.

That is just the way it is in the UK.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Latchigo, for your information:

- I am not capable of growing a beard
- I get my English-language news from Radio 4, The Daily Telegraph, The Times, The Guardian and The Independent, in that order.
- I have no issue with the use of the phrase 'black sheep'

............. you patronising git. Bit less of the ad hominem, please.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, One sometimes wonders whether that stuff is wilful misunderstanding of the modern world or plain stupidity.

snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Bish, probably the latter, unfortunately. Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well I live here in switzerland as an auslander (foreigner- a Brit) and they are not really racist per say but the right wing party tends to appeal largely to peoples fears such as crime and stuff in what is a very safe country. Its all about vote winning - the far right party is big but it plays on fear and at the end of the day the average swiss person may have some hidden bias and fears of people who aren't white but that kind of comes from how their country has been for 100s of years. I'm not saying its inherent racism but it sure is inherent suspicion - I have to have a B visa ID card on me afaik when I'm out and about...

Oh and the far right partys new wonderful plan to "save" switzerland is to expel entire familys of foreigners if one family member commits a crime....vote winning attempt right there.
Oh and I think they have also done worse adverts than that over the years....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, I don't know why you're questioning the judgement of Latchigo who would never stereotype anybody, and is never patronising. He got me down to a T once, in an another thread

Quote:
pam w eh ? Older woman from Hampshire ? Daily Mail reader ? I'd let your husband worry about the skiing decisions

Just ignore him. I'm sure he doesn't approve of any of your sources of information.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard wrote:
Latchigo, for your information:

- I am not capable of growing a beard

I knew that - but I could not be bothered to add 'crop-haired, dungaree-wearing, DocMarten-shod Guardian type' Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard, ignore, ignore....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, oh all right. I suppose I could find better things to do than waste my time on such a complete @rsehole. Mind you, he's spot on with the short hair and DMs, but only because I'm about to embark on six weeks of manual labour during which I will have no time to get may hair cut.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1 wrote:
25% of the working population in Switxerland is non Swiss - that's pretty high. 60% (if i recall correctly) of the prison population is non Swiss - also VERY high! Not surprised they want the criminals out once they leave prison, but i doubt that many people have an objection making a substantial contribution to the economy.

However, the propoganda that is being used is despicable - inciting racism in people who probably have very limited understanding of the facts.

Here in Holland over 75% of the prison population is foreign Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton wrote:

Here in Holland over 75% of the prison population is foreign Sad

In principle, it seems to me quite fair that any country should have the right to expel a foreigner who has been legally convicted of a crime. The analogy of someone who stays as a guest in your house seems appropriate - if you behave you are welcome, but if you deliberately sh*t on the carpet then I kick you out. Mad

Of course if the offender is a national of a fellow EU country then EU regs prevent this (as in the recent case of the killer of Headmaster Philip Lawrence), but that is a different topic for debate (ie is/should the EU be a single country/state or just a grouping of sovereign states Puzzled )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink, that seems more than reasonable. I don't think 'but I'll be tortured if you send me home' should cut much ice either - should have thought of that in the first place, really.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ise, Good to see that you are alive and well, as have not seen any posts from you for months! So I totally agree with your sentiments on all counts. I have been holidaying in Switzerland for more years than I care to remember, and I would not consider them racist at all. They are a disciplined people who get on with their lives without rocking too many political boats. In my travels I have noticed that there are numbers of immigrant workers who seem to be quite happy to be in Switzerland and well integrated otherwise they would not be there would they?
ski holidays
If I remember correctly Switzerland has more referendums than any other European country.
So is this the unacceptable face of democracy?
snow report
I don't think so, every nation has a right-wing party. I think people are just spinning it a tad bit too much to turn it into a scandal personally.
snow conditions
Never mind, if the Liberal Democrats have their way, all the Swiss criminal families will be welcomed with open arms in the UK. The Lib Dems are proposing an 'amnesty' for illegals.

When I challenged my MP on this there was a bit of backtracking, but we will see...

''Thank you for your recent message.

Sadly, the Independent article did not accuratly(sic) report the proposals to be
discussed at our conference.

Emphasis in the article was put on the word 'amnesty' which is something of
an exaggeration. That part of our proposal is actually suggesting a method
of gaining citizenship under very strict criteria.

At the moment the backlog of immigration cases is out of control which can
only be put down to plain inefficiency on the part of the Home Office.
Whatever the solution is to handling this current level of people living
outside the legal system, a new system needs to be put in place to prevent
the backlog getting worse in the future. That is why we are also proposing:

. Improving border controls with the introduction of a National Border
Force and reintroducing exit checks at all ports
. Increasing the price of work permits paid by businesses to employ
immigrant workers and using the money to re-train British workers in sectors
affected by immigration

The intention is to control the levels of immigration in future and
encourage cohesiveness in our society. I note, from your message, that
these are your main concerns.

Yours sincerely

Edward Davey MP
''

I would gladly take a Swiss politician in his place.
snow conditions
Ise made a very good observation which seems to have been ignored ........
Quote:

In fact you'll find they are, is there another country in Europe, or the world for that matter, where four distinct groups with their own languages have co-existed for centuries? Maybe the Swiss are rather more tolerant and rather less judgemental than some of their neighbours?

Whilst working in Zurich the only intolerance I came across was the usual French v. The Germans and everyone else blaming the Italians for bank robberies Shocked
snow report
boredsurfin, I would agree. I've found (in my short time here) the Swiss to be universally extremely tolerant, as you long as you live by the "Golden Rule" (oh, and keep all your paperwork & taxes up to date).

I could well imagine that it is an extension of this that allows the political party in question to run a very questionable campaign. Sure, you can believe what you like, but when you lose the election, don't complain about it.

The local reaction to the poster campaign has been, well, obvious. I doubt any of them remain legible.
snow conditions
David Murdoch, is it still a 20chf fine if you cross the road against red man? Even if there is no vehicle for miles Toofy Grin
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
David Murdoch, is it still a 20chf fine if you cross the road against red man? Even if there is no vehicle for miles Toofy Grin

Many countries have that law. for Example Sweden , Germany

Why pay thousands of €€$$ in taxes for Pedestrian Lights if you just ignore them?
snow report
boredsurfin, Don't know about that one, but I'm still waiting for my personal licence plate insertion operation (yes, we have waiting lists here too) so maybe I just haven't been caught yet.

stanton, why pay €billions for nuclear weapons if you never use them?
snow conditions
The Swiss economic miracle is built squarely on overskilled human capital.

They aim to keep out underskilled people.

Their visual imagery in the campaign is perhaps tasteless, arguably offensive and definitely outdated.

But the underlying broad thrust of their goal -- to upskill, not downskill, their workers -- is the correct longterm strategy.
ski holidays
stanton,
Quote:

Why pay thousands of €€$$ in taxes for Pedestrian Lights if you just ignore them?

Because we British Humans have common sense and ignore them when there is no traffic in the area.
ski holidays
As another Swiss resident, I'm with ise, DM, DG ORf et al - the Swiss are xenophobic rather than racist (they're racist if you take that to mean that anyone who isn't Swiss is pretty much a second class citizen to be pitied for not being Swiss), but if you make the effort to integrate and make a contribution then you are welcomed. Understandably I think the Swiss are rather wary of foreigners entering the country to take advantage of teh spoils of their (the Swiss') hard work without putting anything back in.

IME the more outrageous the SVP posters are, the less likely their proposals are to succeed at referendum. And just because their posters can be objectionable doesn't mean all their proposals are (I'm no fan of them btw and am rooting for Blocher to be deselected in December)
latest report
ise wrote:
In truth the average Swiss is far more concerned if their neighbours are using the correct bins for the recycling than their race, colour, country of birth, sexual preferences or religion.

Ain't that the truth!
latest report
Quote:

(they're racist if you take that to mean that anyone who isn't Swiss is pretty much a second class citizen to be pitied for not being Swiss

Yep, neat summary of the 'True Swiss' attitude to anyone that's not a proper Swiss but it comes over in a pleasant way! Very Happy
The same pity was also given to anyone that was a 'naturalized' Swiss Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
stanton,
Quote:

Because we British Humans have common sense and ignore them when there is no traffic in the area.

Is that why they put up sidewalk guard rails by pedestrian crossing as well to try and keep you from crossing ?
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Quote:

(they're racist if you take that to mean that anyone who isn't Swiss is pretty much a second class citizen to be pitied for not being Swiss

Yep, neat summary of the 'True Swiss' attitude to anyone that's not a proper Swiss but it comes over in a pleasant way! Very Happy
The same pity was also given to anyone that was a 'naturalized' Swiss Smile

We have the same in Holland to distinguish real Dutch just we got official terms The first term is used in daily life, your hear it eveywhere Very Happy

The term "Allochtoon" is widely used
The term "Autochtoon" is less widely used,

Cant believe it they even got a write up in English on wikipeda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allochtoon
snow conditions
The Swiss and Dutch are hardly alone - the inimitable Flanders & Swann were at it (albeit TIC) ages ago

"It's not that they're wicked or naturally bad
It's knowing they're foreign that makes them so mad"

http://www.allthelyrics.com/song/270238/

Wink
ski holidays
eng_ch wrote:
As another Swiss resident, I'm with ise, DM, DG ORf et al - the Swiss are xenophobic rather than racist (they're racist if you take that to mean that anyone who isn't Swiss is pretty much a second class citizen to be pitied for not being Swiss)

'Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life.'

Cecil Rhodes 1853 -1902

Same difference ? (I believe stanton currently holds similar views)
snow report
Latchigo, quite, plus ça change....
ski holidays
saw this while perusing bbc today...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6992670.stm
latest report
mountain mad, Following on from the statement above by Mr. C. Rhodes, if I won the National Lottery and was foolish enough to allow that fact to become public knowledge, I would be overwhelmed with requests from all sorts of strangers to help them out financially.

I would not feel obligated to these strangers. In the same way, at a national level a country's citizens have no obligation to hard luck stories from foreigners. So even if a disabled, Kosovan, lesbian single mother turns up on your doorstep you are entitled to say 'Sorry but we will not help'.
ski holidays
BBC website wrote:
The report, from Switzerland's Federal Commission on Racial Discrimination, recommends far-reaching changes.

It criticises the practice of allowing members of a community to vote on an individual's citizenship application.

There's a lot of people who only approve of democracy when it gives the correct answers.
snow conditions
Latchigo wrote:
In the same way, at a national level a country's citizens have no obligation to hard luck stories from foreigners. So even if a disabled, Kosovan, lesbian single mother turns up on your doorstep you are entitled to say 'Sorry but we will not help'.

Here's the first line in the article linked to above "An official report into the process of naturalisation in Switzerland says the current system is discriminatory and in many respects racist." Straight and to the point
snow conditions
Diarmuid, I am not sure what you are trying to say.

Just because an 'official report' says something that does not mean the comment is sound. Throwing labels around, as some sort of show-stopper, is an old trick.
snow conditions
Swiss Time keeping

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2008/05/28/swister.xml
snow report
stanton wrote:
Swiss Time keeping

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2008/05/28/swister.xml

They have the worlds 2nd or 3rd most competitive economy, so maybe there is something to be said for good timekeeping, long working hours and no holidays plus the ability to be able to fire people when you like?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy