Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY to Livigno

Poster: A snowHead
Been thinking about a DIY trip to Livi, I've usually done the last minute cheap package . . . the best was £125 H/B inc. lift pass, but that was sheer luck in calling at the very last minute and putting the phone down and driving to the airport. But now there are cheap flights to Bergamo and Malpensa airports AND a direct bus transfer http://www.mtbus.it/default.cfm it's starting to be a DIY possibility.

Anyone else interested in a mid Jan or mid Feb experiment?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Masque, could you be bothered navigating to Livigno for 4 hours? I'd prefer to sit on the bus and avoid the crazy Itlaian drivers. Our flights are always so early - like 3.30am pickups in resort that we'd be neither sober enough or awake enough to drive back.

We'll be there from the 23rd Feb if you want to meet up with some Irish people for a vino rosso snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mrs johnboy, hmmmm, that link is a direct bus transfer from the airport and without the compulsory 1 hour cafe spendathon halfway there. I'd only drive to Livigno if I were in an RV.
I'm seriously thinking of a trip as I've missed the last two years and want to keep my discount card topped up (it's like a no-claims bonus) and 20% off the lift price is worth keeping.

So. . . . do I start negotiating with the hotels directly . . . or wait and see what's available at the very last minute.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i am looking for a little trip after the PSB sometime in jan, might be interested if can talk her into stamping my leave pass snowHead Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, Jan sounds interesting, we can have a chat at the Snowboard Modial
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Liv is quality, though is obviously quite a treck from the airport, (the crazy Italian drivers are part of the fun of the place! love driving in Italy!) If your looking for somewhere seriously easy to get to with all the italian charm then can recommend the Aosta Valley, Pila, Lathuile, courmayuer & cervinia are all reachable on the largely empty A5 motorway, Pila takes 1hr 15, Lathuile 1hr 45 Courmayeur 1hr 30 & cervinia 1hr 45. I go there 5/6 times a winter on long weekend trips. Ryanair, Stansted to Turin 7am flight on the friday, this gets me to Turin at 9am (10am Italian time) I usually head for La Thuile first up as it is always quiet (unbelievably so really, its has a great snow record & some fantastic skiing) Im usually there between 12:30 & 1pm. This gives me a good 4hrs or so skiing on the Friday. I tend to stay in Aosta or st pierre as getting hotels independently in the resorts themselves is always difficult & often overpriced as the tour operators tend to pre book everything. Still staying in the valley costs loads less & gives me a choice of where to ski the sat & sun I then get the 11pm flight back on the sunday nite to stansted (giving me a full days skiing on the sunday) Weekend trips are normally expensive but if you pre book the flights (now is the right time) & know where to stay it can be done very cheaply, My trips dont tend to cost more than £115 for the flight, car & hotel based on 2 people.
Its a knackering weekend but so worth it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You wont get better than £125 HB inc lift pass, flights, transfers. Let us be honest 1c each way flights cost £50, transfer @ €40 each way, accomodation can cost up to €70 a night. Do not bother and try and do a DIY holiday for that kind of money. If €'s is the main criteria and there aren't many of you going. Do a last minute trip, you will not be able to guarentee a particular hotel but you will at least be in the resort and on the mountain for v, v little money.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
return flights with ryanair to milan £30 incl taxes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
of to courmayeur in jan anyone been there before
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
we are already there for the whole of february in the motorhome.....cheap as chips doing it that way so we get to spend more time skiing!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
First post and I'm looking for some help Toofy Grin

I booked some cheap flights into Milan via Ryanair in January. I've looked at the bus transfer and the times are crap. I don't mind the expense of hiring a car as it means we don't have to wait around in airports until silly o'clock or leave the accomodation really early.

What I can't find is anyone to book a hire car with, where I can specify winter tyres. They all do snow chains but I still wouldn't want a set of summer tyres on the car. Will they use winter tyres by default in Italy?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kristof, welcome to snowHead s. I can;t help you but I'm sure someone who can will be along soon. enjoy your trip Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the welcome.

I did suspect that if no-one on here has done it, they'll have a friend who has or spoke to someone who did it once....

Only 14 weeks to go but I should be able to chill factore before then snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flying into Torino, you could always go the other way, ie Milky Way, I've used Sauze as a base for years to ski all the Milky Way resorts plus Serre Che, only an hourish to Sauze, motorway all the way, apart from the last half mile. Never had chains or winter tyres on our rental (that could speak volumes for Sauze's snow record Smile )
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.activitybreaks.com/product/4348/italian-alps-ski-and-spa-break-in-santa-caterina-includes-ski-pass-and-hire/3006509/

Or see above. They sometimes offer bormio and Livigno, but a bit early for their last minutes. Always look quite good value, although I haven't used them.
snow report
Ghost Dog, Thanks, some great info there. Not seen that site before but I'll certainly check that out in the future for any short breaks.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy