Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Business partner needed ski based idea

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have a very simple idea, basically it is a product every skier would consider purchasing, it is very cheap to manufacture and distribute. It has 2 main serious uses but also has souvenir potential. It is also a damn good product!

I am looking for a partner who has experience in product distribution to ski stores initially european but the idea can easily be replicated stateside.

The risk for the business idea is very low as manufacturing samples is cheap and this will be enough to secure pre orders. The major problem is that the idea although innovative is hard to protect and easily copied. Luckily though there is 1 part to the idea which can be protected either through new design or via licensing.

If anyone is interested please post or send me a pm. I am based in London and would liek to try and get this product out for the start of the European ski season and so time is of the essence!

Richard
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A ski sling? wink Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin, how do u actually get 19,000 posts!

No not the fabled ski sling. I really should have started thinking about this in August rather than 2 months before the resorts open. Do you think the resorts would take offence to salesman hanging around lifts trying to flog you warez!!!!!

R

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 16-10-07 15:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyway it is a serious proposition if anyone is interested!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
plectrum,
Quote:

Do you think the resorts would take offence to salesman hanging around lifts trying to flog you warez!!!!!

That's how the Guys who founded The White stuff shops started out!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, Different kind of "White Stuff" i feel. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin wrote:
plectrum,
Quote:

Do you think the resorts would take offence to salesman hanging around lifts trying to flog you warez!!!!!

That's how the Guys who founded The White stuff shops started out!

And the Fat Face crew
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
plectrum, maybe a hint as to what the product is may rouse more interest
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
plectrum, is it another mojo? snowHead

Cheap to manufacture is one thing but, in my experience, distribution and paying for the sales effort is never cheap.

Can you eat it? How about a game of 20 questions.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
... also selling off the back of a sample range doesn't work for cheap "impulse buy" products. The retailer will want it now, now, now if they like it. The sunglass sellers drive around in fully stocked vans with POS etc.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
plectrum, are you Nigerian? Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
plectrum, have sent you a PM
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bh1, funny you should say that as I'm the sole recipient of a US$25,000,000,000 windfall. Thing is I need someone to stup up the £50k legal fee first. If you do that for me I'll split the money with you. Now then, the account to send the money to is.... best if I pm you, this is too special an opportunity.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, thank you blessed friend.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bh1, all you need to do is call this number and every thing is guarenteed - just call +234, 987, 1468 8531 Toofy Grin
snow report
Dragons Den perhaps???
ski holidays
I'm out ...
latest report
How about Trevor Bayliss? Service to inventors!

http://www.trevorbaylisbrands.com

Very Happy
snow report
hi guys,

No i am not a conman - I do not need money here as firstly I have access to investors but secondly in all good business ideas money is the least imporant factor. What would make this fly is a guy/girl who has direct experience in selling products to the ski equipment stores and other ski based stores in alpine regions.

I'm glad that Whitestuff and Fat face started this way as maybe I could hoodwink all the reps in resorts to work on comission, the product would certainly fly at the base lifts and would be cheap enough to be bought for a few euros.

Richard
snow report
plectrum, The clothing guys gave a lot of stuff away in resorts to generate interest, we have two original sweatshirts that we were given on the proviso we would wear them around the resort Toofy Grin
snow report
well anyway as said if anyone reads this and has direct access to the purchasing directors at the major european ski stores then contact me and we can get rich!!!!

I know it isn't particularly hard to set up a meeting myself-intersport's HQ's number is easily accessible, it is just that quick secured deals often occur when a relationship has already been developed.

boredsurfin, seriously thanks for the advice here, it is a higher risk actively selling the product myself as it mean i need to outlay gross manufacturing costs but obviously the profit margin increases.

hmm on thinking about it, although it is quite a common already available idea there may be some protectable innovation ... I need to set up a meeting with a business advisor or call the government!!! If the idea takes off I may actually hit that PayPal DONATE button at the bottom of the page Toofy Grin
latest report
plectrum, all sound very intriguing this. If it is a goer or you think that it really could be I would be looking into Intellectual Property (IP) rights before letting people know what it is. Seen a lot of good ideas that have come up in businesses and people who think of a good idea and don't protect it. Hate to ruin a nice positive post but have a look at it... Very Happy
snow conditions
plectrum, think you'll find that the likes of Intersport completed their winter buying 4 months ago. They'll think you're approaching them about season 08/09. Without knowing what the product is, it sounds like you'll have to approach individual stores and merchandise them there and then. Then you'll have a nice wait of 3 months or so to get your money. That's if you're lucky... as a new, late-to-the-market product with no track record, they'll demand sale or return terms. Even without knowing what it is it's too risky, it's uninvestable. I'm out.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 16-10-07 20:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Bode Swiller,

I would expect that winter buying at major chains has all but been completed but this is a simple on counter product rather than a new range of helmets etc. Saying that i understand that - it may be better to just market direct thru resort reps and then for 08/09 take the sales figures to the major shops and distributors as a good reason to buy the product.

MrDan,

I know it just depends whether my product is actually innovative enough to be protected. I am not sure it is not as if i have come up with anything new, it is just the way i am using it.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
plectrum, think you'll find that the likes of Intersport completed their winter buying 4 months ago. They'll think you're approaching them about season 08/09. Without knowing what the product is, it sounds like you'll have to approach individual stores and merchandise them there and then. Then you'll have a nice wait of 3 months or so to get your money. That's if you're lucky... as a new, late-to-the-market product with no track record, they'll demand sale or return terms. Even without knowing what it is too risky, it's uninvestable. I'm out.

Sure but OTOH I'd focus on getting a short production run made then try flogging it to punters & shops in a limited number of resorts. For the initial investment of the production run plus a couple of weeks in the mountains (what tragedy) you'll know very quickly whether the idea has any legs or not...plus whehter the price point is bearable..

as they say on DD - what's sales have you achieved? - I'd imagine you can sell more easily into the big chains back home if your initial production run sold out in 2 days say..oh any my sister knows one of the key S&R guys...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 16-10-07 20:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
bertie bassett,

Yes I agree with both you and Bode Swiller, it would greatly aid big distribution deals if I had some sales under my belt. Also heh why a couple a weeks, I could take a small team for a couple of weeks in each resort for the whole season, and as it is a product that could be sold on the pistes at lifts nothing would stop us skiing aswell!!!

Smile
latest report
plectrum, One of the original guys with what is now White Stuff gave it up in the early days and is now a broker in the insurance industry rolling eyes
But their original sales were literally from a backpack full of sweatshirts and sold in Apre bars and clubs. With a discount to seasonaires who could sell them on to their punters.
Often their mates would swop a weeks worth of evenings selling, for free ski accom for the week Very Happy

The business took off when they broke into the Surfers market in the summer's which became bigger than the ski market.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 16-10-07 21:01; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
plectrum, is this something that could be personalised and left as a low cost 'gift' for my guests?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, Indeed it is Wink there are much broader sponsorship and advertising potential to the product though. Also on checking the European Patent Office, no one has thought of my idea yet. I need to speak with a business advisor tomorrow morning!

I think personalised in terms of thank you for staying at Chalet Chamoissiere is plausible rather than Dear Gary / Bob or Claire!

Thanks for all the advice all.

R

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 16-10-07 21:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
plectrum,
Quote:

is this something that could be personalised and left as a low cost 'gift' for my guests?

things are looking up. Big buying signal there... and we still don't know what it is... it must be good... I'll take 6.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, woot the greatest product ever, sold to millions before anyone knows what it is. It turns out that I was selling snowballs or something

Rofl Smile
ski holidays
I'm now confused (he said in a Peter Jones kind of way). You said
Quote:

although it is quite a common already available idea

and now, all of a sudden, it's
Quote:

on checking the European Patent Office, no one has thought of my idea yet.

I'm out.
latest report
Bode Swiller,

Well actually Bode, the fact that no-one has protected the idea means you should be still interested as if the idea was protected then i'm stuck! By the way what exactly do you do Bode?

To explain the constituent parts of my idea are commonly available, to join each part in making my idea is novel and so far unprotected and as far as im aware currently not done/manufactured/sold.
latest report
plectrum, if it's commonly available then I'd guess someone did think of it before you... and that's protection in itself. If there's someone else's IP included in your product (protected by paperwork or not) you have a potential show stopper. Best take professional advice.

I can't tell you what I do... it's a secret NehNeh
snow conditions
plectrum wrote:
Hi,

I have a very simple idea, basically it is a product every skier would consider purchasing, it is very cheap to manufacture and distribute. It has 2 main serious uses but also has souvenir potential. It is also a damn good product!

I am looking for a partner who has experience in product distribution to ski stores initially european but the idea can easily be replicated stateside.

The risk for the business idea is very low as manufacturing samples is cheap and this will be enough to secure pre orders. The major problem is that the idea although innovative is hard to protect and easily copied. Luckily though there is 1 part to the idea which can be protected either through new design or via licensing.

If anyone is interested please post or send me a pm. I am based in London and would liek to try and get this product out for the start of the European ski season and so time is of the essence!

Richard

Get the design or idea copyrighted and trademarked asap.

Never share anything with anyone, including potential partners, until it is legally protected.

Wherever possible, make some or all of the idea legally uncopyable,

But this will take time and money.

You might do better to wait until next season rather than rushing into the current one.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, I have just spoken to a friend who is a partner at law firm and I will speak with their Intellectual Property team tomorrow. This will be cool if it works.
snow conditions
plectrum wrote:
Bode Swiller,

To explain the constituent parts of my idea are commonly available, to join each part in making my idea is novel and so far unprotected and as far as im aware currently not done/manufactured/sold.

If this is the case, you may struggle to get your product patented in the UK or US. Such 'incremental innovation' often fails to get protected.

If you can't patent it, then you are best off trademarking a catchy brandname for it.

Good luck.
latest report
damn there is a guy in the states who does what i wanna do!

moment of grandure over.
ski holidays
Quote:

the constituent parts of my idea are commonly available, to join each part in making my idea is novel
So, two commonly available items joined together to make the mystery product. Could it be a neck warming lip salve? A Toblerone lift pass holder? A kendal mint cake goggle scraper? A ski sling bandana?

plectrum, I wish you luck. Go have a good ski anyway.
ski holidays
Quote:

moment of grandure over
Cancel the Ferrari.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy