Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 'snowcam'

Poster: A snowHead
Yup great photies,...... but when is the snow due wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Click to see full resolution image...... For a change, a photo taken at the other end of the domain - plenty of snow down at Peisey Nancroix (1,000m) - spot the Vanoise Express crossing overhead, top right)...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Click to see full resolution image...... Taken from halfway down the Cachette (Arc 1600) today, large photo 2560 x 1920 pixels, 500K, most of Bourg St Maurice in the distance...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just wanted to say what a fantastic week I had in Les Arcs. Smile Although if I had the choice I wouldn't stay in Arc 2000 again. A charmless purpose-built place in comparison with the other cosier villages. PG thanks for the tips. Shame I never made it to the Flying Squirrel but the one day I wanted to properly explore that side the weather rather got in the way.... snowHead There is nothing more gutting leaving the mountain when you knew the conditions were only going to get better and better....and the final ignominy of being diverted to Lyon on the way home and waiting 6 hours for a flight because Geneva was sitting in 6 slushy inches!! ah well, worth the hassle. thanks to all snowheads for the forecasting and general exictement. Got to get back to those blacks as soon as I can!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone headed out this weekend pack your woollies (Or more likey your technical mid layers..) it was a perishing -22 at the top of the Transarc yesterday morning. Sadly today I'm back at my desk, legs acheing and face scarred from a face plant, but still smiling with post piste contentment! Sorry not to make the Flying Squirrel rendezvous on Monday, but I'm back over at Easter so hope to drop in then. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Martin Nicholas, yep it was a bit cold up there wasn't it, the Marmottes lift was showing -22 at 9am on Friday...!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got back on Saturday, despite the best efforts of some idiot at the Eurotunnel terminal in Folkestone. Great two weeks had by all. Good to meet everyone at the FS - apologies to Will for not getting back there again, timings not so good when we were back in the area. Also, shame I couldn't meet up with everyone on the Villaroger run, but Aguille Rouge was closed that day, and when I got to Lanchettes, though the chair was running, it was indefinitely closed so I couldn't get down there. Finally, it's a shame I missed the Chinese meal, but it was a mate's birthday and we'd arranged to go to Le Notte that evening -recommended, BTW.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The chinese was very good, but I'm sure it will be there next time you visit...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk, that's true, but it was meeting up with everyone else again that I really missed. Incidentally, I was told that Lanchettes closed at the same time as a helicopter headed over that side of the mountain. Were you down there at the time?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There was a helicopter flying around for a little while, but I'm not sure if it was landing in the Lanchettes area or somewhere else.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar.org.uk & skanky, I have a suspicion that chopper was involved in the recovery of the body of the SkiBeat guy who was killed that day in the Lanchettes area.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kuwait_ian, didn't know someone was killed there, but guessed that there was probably somethiong serious for them to suddenly close the lift like that (at the same time a chopper was up there). That's why I didn't wait around to see if it re-opened. Good to meet you (even if briefly) on Monday though. rob@rar.org.uk's ski-guiding service gets a recommendation from me though snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skanky, he had been the Quizmaster in Will's bar the night before. See this thread (I know you are just back and catching up)
It was good to meet you also. See here for photos of the 'event'.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kuwait_ian, thanks for that. Condolences to all who knew him.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar.org.uk,
We were probably In La Ferme at the same time without knowing it! Failed in the FS rendezvous because we had had 2 days in the trees at P-V already over the weekend and needed to breakout to the wider area. We had a great run on Sunday at close of play down to Nancroix past the chapel, and ended up skiing home along the road alongside a couple of 4x4's - very bizarre. Sadly home Wednesday last week. The good news is that I'm going back for Easter for a week, and will be able to manipulae a trip to the FS next time
snow conditions
For anyone in the area at the moment, conditions are "ok" in the northern French Alps, overall snow depths are lacking though despite the recent heavy falls. Some of the steeper slopes already looking bare, with the main Feb holiday influx yet to come. Temperatures have remained low so there is still good skiing at low altitude, and some powder among the trees.
ski holidays
PG,

Great photo as usual especially on Jan 25. We can also make out where your flat is from Arc 1600. Brings back good memory of Les Arcs.
latest report
PG,
Is it snowing in Les Arcs now? what's the up to date picture on the ground, so to speak?
snow conditions
Snowing, just about (at 800m). Has been since the drizzle turned to sleet then snow around lunchtime. Freeze level set to rise to 2000m all day tomorrow, so rain all day - then diving right down again for a few days, circa 200m.....
snow report
...how are the runs down to 1600 at the mo'?
snow report
Quote:
Freeze level set to rise to 2000m all day tomorrow, so rain all day - then diving right down again for a few days, circa 200m.....

My guess is that's not good for avalanche risk, as it'll ice over on Sunday night, and snow on top of that subsequently? Or does the wetter surface enable it to bind better?
snow conditions
Not as good as we'd hoped. Although the snowline was around 1800m in the end, it rained consistently and pretty hard around the Savoie/H.Savoie/Isère yesterday and all the great low-lying snow has considerably deteriorated as a result.

Ok it's snowing - lightly - now, and right down to 800m again - but nothing like the huge dumps we'd been promised have materialised, or are likely to over the next few days. It seems that the northern French Alps are going to miss out - a high pressure has formed to the SW of the British Isles and is pushing the snow further into eastern Europe - they look as if they're in for some substantial dumps this week.

That said, at least conditions have improved above 2000m. Temps are set to remain very cold this week.

Current light snowfall is accompanied by very strong gusting winds, even here in the valley. Chances are it'll be considerably worse at altitude. This means lifts closed by high winds, some drifting and windslab closing other areas, all just as the busiest fortnight of the season gets under way.
snow report
Kids just down from skiing.... not a huge amount of snow has fallen but what there is has resulted in big areas of 1800 and 2000 being closed today - combined with high winds, avalanche risk back up to 4.

With the wind chill, absolutely freezing on the lifts! Big group of snowHeads in the apartment since last night, first day on the slopes, hope they took some hip flasks with them wink

Snowing heavily at the moment, really strong winds...
latest report
Thanks for the update PG! Smile
latest report
PG wrote:
Kids just down from skiing.... not a huge amount of snow has fallen but what there is has resulted in big areas of 1800 and 2000 being closed today - combined with high winds, avalanche risk back up to 4.

With the wind chill, absolutely freezing on the lifts! Big group of snowHeads in the apartment since last night, first day on the slopes, hope they took some hip flasks with them wink

Snowing heavily at the moment, really strong winds...

Same here, the most local stations are closed due to the wind. Personally, I stayed home today, I've some things to do and I'll go out in the week after, I hope, some more snow's fallen, the winds dropped and it's a little quieter.
snow conditions
Click to see full resolution image...... Very similar to Pete Horn's Tignes conditions, except the lower part of the domain here was relatively unaffected by wind (in that some chairs were still running). Very gusty still in Bourg, temperature has plummeted to well under zero - what a difference a day makes.
Click to see full resolution image......
Meteo France has changed its mind once again - and is now forecasting a lot of snow for the next two/three days - it appears the high pressure SW of the UK is weaker than expected?

Couple of photos just taken (one second exposure), down in Bourg St Maurice, blizzard conditions at moment ...
snow report
And now Meteo France has yo-yo'd back to the original forecast, light snow, occasional sunny periods, then full sun and very cold from Tuesday night. The northern French Alps must really be on the borderline of this front.

Could be a lot worse. In the southern Alps cover is still poor, and compounding the problem certain resorts like Pra-Loup cannot even use their snow cannons. Not because of the temperature, but because the lengthy drought means there's simply no water to feed the system.
snow report
Binning it down with snow now here, I'm not sure what damage the higher temperatures, rain and wind will have done over the weekend but I'll go and check just as soon as I can.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Current.
snow conditions
skanky, scuse ignorance, but which particular part of the world am I looking at in the first radar pic?
snow conditions
Switzerland (but the image extends outside the borders, including the French Alps. Select the "Grenzen" checkbox and it'll mark the borders. It has a 5 minute update time. There is a ten minute one available too (the French one I found seems to be six hourly which isn't much use).
latest report
skanky, doh. thanks.
ski holidays
I'm looking at booking at last minute offer for Les Arcs for 13th March.

Don't know anything about the area so any feedback would be great for an advanced int & int skiers.

What are the current snow conditions like?

Any tuition recomendations for private lessons, especially for off-piste, if conditions allow.
snow report
spyderjon, we had five people use four different ESF instructors at ARC1600 for private lessons and all thought they were excellent. That's 1 boarder, two beginners and two Int/Adv Int.
snow report
skanky, be careful when making comments like that wink ... although you should be safe with your new sig!

There's one guy at ESF 1600 there, can't remember his name, speaks great English. I was watching him with a group of first day, first hour even beginners last week, making it real fun, getting them to race up and down the path. Obviously a really good teacher. Remind me of some names??
ski holidays
PG, the only names I can remember are Roland - who took boarder/intermediate and Flore (female) who took my lessons. Can't remember the other two (one male and one female).
latest report
PG, any chance of an up-to-date on the ground report on snow conditions in Les Arc .....
.... 25 days and counting
latest report
Good conditions at the moment, a few centimetres of snow every day since Friday has kept things fresh. Can't update the snowcam though - the pistes at 1600 are rarely visible at the moment! Some more snow over the next 24 hours, then mostly sunny until Friday. Remaining very cold. Temperatures forecast to rise at the end of the week, with a front moving in from the south-west that should bring snow to most regions...
snow report
.... music to my ears ! Very Happy
snow report
PG Sent you a PM matey
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy