Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buses to Arabba?

Poster: A snowHead
Am going to Arabba, from London by train in early February. I know there are buses from Belluno to Arabba but prefer not to have to go so far south (I.e. Venice) only to travel north again.
I also know I can get to Dobbiaco by train and bus to Cortina - but can't find any buses from there to Arabba, nor buses from the main line stations (e.g. Bozen-Belzano) to Arabba.
Is there a post-bus (as serve other small towns and villages in north Italy) that doesn't appear on any website and has no schedule? Are there ski buses, which can be used with ski passes connecting Arabba with Cortina?
Any suggestions, assistance, information very gratefully received? Thanks, Robin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
robinsmallwood, Welcome to snowHead 's. A rather interesting way of getting to Arabba! Did you discount the cheaper airlines to Treviso and simple bus up to Arabba???
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The sleeper train is certainly the way to go to some parts of the Alps - I've been having breakfast in the resort on 'turn around day' & away skiing as those who travel by air are boarding their buses for the resort. Is it really all that much cheaper, after adding all the costs of getting to and from airports? I've not done the sums. Besides, I've had enough of planes. Oh for the day when I'll see Prague, Roma, Moscow, Madrid and Istanbul on the 'Destinations' board at St Pancras.
Anyway, any clues about the buses please?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
robinsmallwood, From memory to get from Cortina to Arabba by bus you have to go to Corvara and then change buses for Arabba.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks for the Corvara suggestion. We've 'cracked' it! Eurostar to Paris; Paris overnight to Munchen; change to the Michaelangelo - train to Roma; change at Fortezza to Brunico; bus to Corvara; second bus to Arabba in time for cappocino and cakes!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
robinsmallwood, good luck with that, it sounds exhausting and fraught with danger of missed connections (and I'm always up for adventurous travel!). I agree with your sentiments about through travel from London Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
robinsmallwood, Some journey, will be interested to hear how it works out. I am visiting Arabba in March but using the normal flying to Venice and coach transfer system.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
riverman, I am with you on this one, the less painful way. Will be an interesting post on the trip, skiing side robinsmallwood, you will have a ball!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Bish family, following their so far slightly unsuccessful policy fo going to new places for the 07-08 season, are off to Arabba for February half-term and would appreciate any hints. I get the idea that there is a biggish circuit that you can get round either way and diversions off to all sorts of little places. Since I am the one that navigates, I would appreciate suggestions for a piste map too.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Bish, There are a number of piste maps for the different areas. On each of them however they have an overview of the entire area which can give you a general idea! It is best just to pick up a piste map as you are entering a different area eg. Val Gardena to Alta Badia at the turnstiles of the lift.

Fantastic place, beautiful scenery and great food. Quite cheap in comparison to France. We were there in mid March and it was sufferring due to the condition of the snow, that said the week after there was a massive snowfall, another snowHead was there for it and benefitted.

My advice would be to fly and get a taxi rather than the train.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roy Hockley, Thank you. Any suggested itineries? It is always my job to pick routes. Probably because I am the only one sad enough to sit for hours with a piste map.

snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Day One: Sella Ronda Clockwise
Day Two: Marmolada Glacier
Day Three: Laguzoi via Armenterolla (****A MUST****)
Day Four: Sella Ronda Anti Clockwise
Day Five: Do the world cup runs, Sasslong, Alta Badia (La Villa)
Day Six : Arabba

You cant go wrong with any of these excursions. A stunning place. Proposed to Mrs RH at Porta Vescova on a black run there. Frightened I would drop the ring!!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris, I got a fantastic piste map at the local newsagents when we were in Arabba - it's essentially the local version of a 1:25000 OS map with the pistes superimposed on top. It's the top entry on this list of maps, which I found in Google using this search.

My photo stream here includes a GPS track from our Sella Ronda circuit - we were foiled by high winds in our second attempt on the circuit. The Sella Ronda circuit is fairly well signposted (and colour coded for the clockwise and anti-clockwise direction) although we did manage to get lost on one occasion.

Roy's list looks good to me - Laguzoi is 'The Hidden Valley' in my photos, the Sella Ronda circuit is a must, and we wanted to do the Marmolada glacier but we put off by high winds.

You might like to check out the two resort reports and the feedback thread for Arabba in the Resorts section.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish, we went at half term last year - pistes were pretty quiet. We did the Sella Ronda one way and got half way round the second time, only to turn back as one of the links was closed due to high winds. In fact, the only problem we really had (apart from me having a spectacularly bad cold) was that the wind shut down most of the lifts in Arabba one morning, and closed off the Sella Ronda a couple of days we were there.

An advantage of Arabba was that it remained pretty quiet if the links to the Sella Ronda was closed, so that even on the morning when only one chairlift was running, the queues weren't huge, and the pistes running from it were pretty quiet.

Arabba is supposed to be the ideal base for better skiers on the Sella Ronda, but I managed most of the pistes and I'm neither particularly courageous or competent. Hoppo did one particular black which he said was rather steep, but I'd been driven off the slopes by my cold by then, so gave it a miss. We didn't manage the Marmolada glacier, due to my cold and the high winds.

We're off to Selva this half term, for a different perspective on the Sella Ronda.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 1-01-08 15:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah, Hoppo has beaten me to it!
snow conditions
We were also in Arabba at half term last February and compared to the scrum conditions found in French resorts it was great. There were a few queues at some of the pinch points but nothing too bad. The biggest queue was at the taxi/bus stop at Armentarola to get to the Lagazoui and then the queue for the cable car was pretty bad - but SP and I did not start early enough in the day so it was only to be expected. The actual ski down the hidden valley was pretty quiet.

I will second or third the recommedation for the local map which I bought way back in the early nineties and it is still going strong.

We will be based at Canazei this coming Feb half term week of 16th to 23rd as I could not find anywhere in Arabba to suit the budget this year.
snow report
CP, Did you get the horse tow from the end of the hidden valley ?
snow report
riverman, Oh yes, it is part of the fun
latest report
Excellent info guys. Thanks Hoppo, for the map recommendation. That seems exactly what I need and I have ordered one already (from a place in Zanzibar??? or have I misread something??)

Roy Hockley, I have copied your itinerary as a starting point.

HappyMouffe, and Hoppo, Is Selva in range of Arabba? Maybe we could meet up at last?? We get there on the 9th as our half-term is the early week.

Now going to burrow into the review threads.

snowHead
ski holidays
Also Horizon's report and photos for the off-piste options (sorry to those who have seen them too often already).
snow report
Chris Bish, Selva is within easy reach of Arraba on skis, if/when you do the Sella Ronda you will need to cross Arabba on foot.

Looks like SP and I will miss you guys as our half term is a week later, but no less expensive of course!!
ski holidays
Chris Bish, Iam in Arraba from the 2nd to the 16th March, you will find a different experience from Wengen which I am at from the 29th January for 10 days. Although they are very different resorts I enjoy both although I would try and avoid Wengen during school hols.
snow report
CP wrote:
Chris Bish, Selva is within easy reach of Arraba on skis, if/when you do the Sella Ronda you will need to cross Arabba on foot.

that is basically just crossing the road on foot!

It is about 200 yards at most from the foot of one piste in Arabba to the base of the gondola (clockwise) or chair (Anticlockwise)
snow report
Chris, yes - it took us about an hour to ski from Arabba from Selva - I think we're out there the same week as you - will check and PM my mobile number...
ski holidays
My map has just arived. What excellent service! It is exactly what I was wanting. I can now plan all sorts of easy cruses and placate Jon by showing him all the nice black lines close to our chalet.

snowHead
ski holidays
Chris, they are fantastic, aren't they? It's the piste map I've always wanted... snowHead
ski holidays
Yes. It is really nice to have a combination of o good piste map with an OS style topographical map. Gives everything a really interesting context.

I'm sad enough to have just put on Eurosport to see if it is snowing in Italy. The baithlon comes from there today. It is and lots of it too! Only 5 weeks now!

snowHead
snow conditions
I'm going to Selva for a week from 23 Feb - 3rd year running - absolutely love it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy