Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Foil vs. Rossignol Scratch Bling

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Guys Smile

Just found this excellent looking forum so thought i'd join Smile

anyways… i've been looking at getting some new planks for a while, and am down to the two ski's in the thread title...

would just like your opinions really… i ski all-mountain but like to take advantage whenever i see a jump and i'm trying to learn to ski backwards etc, so i want a balanced ski thats half way between piste and park… these two seem to accomodate and although i think the more park oriented skis like the salomon thruster and rozzie scratch ghetto look better, i've gotta go with whats best for what i want to do (obviously)…

so, what dya reckon?

(also can i just tag on, i've heard that freestyle skis should be longer than piste skis so dya reckon i'd be ok with 176s? i'm 6'1" and 70kg...)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No idea - I'm a girl, not a park rat rolling eyes . But welcome to snowHead s. I'm sure someone will help.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey SooTyLaD, I have a pair of last year's scratch fs wrs in 174 (think these are the same as the ghetto?), im 6ft1, 73kg. I'm still a bit of a park novice, but getting better, I bought these skis with the intention of improving the freestyle skills. I really enjoy skiing on them all over the mountain, they cope well for me in powder and I never feel like they're unstable when I'm carving them at relatively high speed. I'm probably going to buy them again if I wreck them although I would go for the 181. I suppose the key point is that I havn't compared them to a really good piste ski, but I have fun with them!

I would imagine the more knowledgable snowheads might suggest the K2 Public Enemys, i hear they're good all mountain twin tips.

edit* I would go for the 181 mainly so I have a bit more tip and tail to land on, not really for stability.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 8-01-08 3:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SooTyLaD, I have '07 Foils in 174, I'm 6ft and 76kg. Only done 1 week with them but I love them - great all-rounder, excellent in powder, good pop in the park and pretty good on the piste. Not tried the Rossignols. I find K2 a bit soft.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How about some Movement Kamasutras, a great park/off piste cross.

Public enemy's are a good choice as well. Great all round ski.

I've always found the salomon 1080 range a bit flimsy but I haven't tried any this season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have 07 foils in 182, they're very poppy, competent all round, light for spinning/jumping and quite flexy. Only thing they're not great for is charging and skiing cut up powder/crud.

They have quite big tips/tails though so I'd go bigger.

(Also - I'm selling my Foils as I'm skiing my fatter skis here day to day and they're not really getting a look in - drop me a PM if you're interested Wink)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have 1080 foils which are good in powder and on softer bumps. Need positive action on ice/hard piste. I am not good enough on crust to assess their action, but like them in chopped stuff. The down on them seems to be some concern about durability and the cores. Not sure this is a valid concern for someone who is not really hardcore.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
element wrote:
Hey SooTyLaD, I have a pair of last year's scratch fs wrs in 174 (think these are the same as the ghetto?), im 6ft1, 73kg. I'm still a bit of a park novice, but getting better, I bought these skis with the intention of improving the freestyle skills. I really enjoy skiing on them all over the mountain, they cope well for me in powder and I never feel like they're unstable when I'm carving them at relatively high speed. I'm probably going to buy them again if I wreck them although I would go for the 181. I suppose the key point is that I havn't compared them to a really good piste ski, but I have fun with them!

I would imagine the more knowledgable snowheads might suggest the K2 Public Enemys, i hear they're good all mountain twin tips.

edit* I would go for the 181 mainly so I have a bit more tip and tail to land on, not really for stability.
could i ask mate why you would like 181? i've been told to go for around 165 so i was worried about getting the 176s as i thought they'd be too big?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll find that skis that short and that soft (both are flexy tip and tail, as are all freestyle skis) will be really unstable, oscillate like crazy when skiing at any speed at all and won't like the amount of leverage someone of your height can generate when edging. You're fairly light for your height, but it's high up, so you do need a bigger size. Twin tips also ski short for their length, due to the turned up tail reducing the running area.

For example I'm 6' & 215 Embarassed and have a pair of K2 PE in 174 - VERY stiff for an FS ski, chosen on the short side for bumps and general messing about. I should probably be on 179s but like 'short' skis (mounted waaaay back, though). Foils and FS/Ghetto are much softer so you'll need the length to add grip and stability when on piste.

Get too long though, and soft freestyle skis get very flappy tip and tail at speed, so once you get fat you need to look at public enemy/MSP/punishers etc if you want any performance outside of the park.

If you do want VERY short skis that do all mountain & park though, get 169 public enemies for stiffness in a short size and mount at the reccomended point (+4cm?). Otherwise go at least 174 and possiblty longer on the Salomon/Rossi choice.

You may already know the next bit, but....

Regarding mounting points, this is where the centre line on your boot is relative to the centre of the ski. On salomon you have standard (back) and Progressive (forward) these roughly correspond to 0cm and +4cm on K2s.

Go 'Standard' and you get more ski in front, which you can 'drive' a lot more and get more of your power forward in, you also get more float in powder. This is all well and good if you want to rip about at speed and don't mind putting more effort into your turns, but it does unbalance you a bit for spins or rails and makes you work a bit more.

Put the binding/boot at Progressive (+4cm) and you get a much more balanced ski for freestyle, but it will ski shorter and more pivoty on piste, kind of like going down a size on a traditional ski. The way to counteract this and maintain performance is to add 4cm more ski in front of you, to get the same handling characteristics and stability as the standard mount. Of course, you want it balanced at the tail still for spins, so you'd better add 4cm there too, but it's OK as on a soft ski it dosen't hook up or add much power - hence the sudden need to jump from say 174ish to 181ish. Make any sense? Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
that was very informative thanks very much Smile

so after reading reviews and this forum etc, if i came to the decision to get a pair of Rossignol Scratch Bling @ 176cm (which is how i'm swaying), would all you in the know concur? (the alternative is wait until i come across some 170cm ones)

my current skis are some entry level rossy's which i've been using for years and are 162s Shocked so the move will be very noticable, but i'm assuming once i get used to it, i will be much better off... hopefully Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep. Decent length, proper width and less horrifyingly ugly than this years foil. It'll only feel more like 8cm longer than 16cm longer.

Speak to the shop guy about binding mounts, but looking at the rossi site you have standard (dotted) middle (solid line) and stupidly-far-forward-insane-pro. Personally I'd tend to avoid the latter if skiing all of the mountain. A fine choice Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
well, i'm gonna be buying online so the shop guy aint gonna exist Smile - but i'll be back on here for some advice when they arrive Smile

i'll take the plunge, but i must admit i'm mildly worried about the 176 length (this worry comes from the fact that when trying 170 salomon crossmax in france a few weeks ago, they felt too long...) - but hey, if thats what you guys reckon, i'll give it a shot Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
176m minus 8cm worth of turned up tail = 168. They'll be bigger than your entry level skis, sure, but relax - don't worry if you're carrying a bit more speed, after a couple of days you'll be able to get a whole lot more out of them. The are NOT going to be like the crossmax, you can skid, smear and drift all over the place to shake off the speed if you need to on twins. Deep sidecut carvers are a lot less versatile.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thats what i wanted to here Smile

purchased Very Happy

Rossy Bling arriving in 7-10 days - got an absolute bargain at £207 delivered Smile (including Scratch 110 bindings Wink)

Thanks for all the advice Smile - these will be put to good use in 6 weeks when I'm off to Banff in Canada Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's not a bad price at all.

Enjoy them. Very Happy
snow report
Cunners, pretty much said it all there.

I would get the 181 and have them mounted closer to the centre for the reasons Cunners mentioned, but freestyle performance is rapidly becoming more important than all mountain performance for me Smile

Where did you get them at that price?

Let us know how they go in Banff!
latest report
the bay Wink a seller called ski-bilek Smile
latest report
SooTyLaD, Dynastar Big Trouble, far more agile on piste than you'd imagine, plenty width aswell if the powder falls. If you want something thinner go for the Trouble Maker, they look fantastic.
snow report
too late matey, gone for the rossy blings... (read above)
latest report
SooTyLaD, Good work, I got my Rossi's from Ski Bilek too, but via their website. Think I payed about £300 or so.
snow report
i wish they could make me some 50%/50% (park/piste) but with the ghetto graphics Very Happy - but saying that, the more i look at the blings the more i like the look Smile - the purchase was based on its specs not so much its look...

what do you all think of the aesthetics?

the look is growing on me Razz
snow conditions
Well, let's just say you shouldn't have trouble finding them after a crash.
snow conditions
I think they look absolutely great, particularly the bases
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy