Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Waxing of newish ski's

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I'm a fairly seasoned skier - but last year after years of dithering about ski's I finally bought a pair for myself and the girlfriend - here lies the question - we have just over 10 days skiing done on them from new ......... should I have these waxed and edged or will they survive another 2 weeks this season ............... all skiing done on them has been in good snow and there is no real signs of damage ......... any advice gladly taken.

Also, is the easiest thing to walk into any resort shop and ask for this to be done ??

Cheers ...........
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
definitely get them waxed or do it yourself. if taking them to a shop, get the edges done as well.

I wax my board between every trip, even weekends. I haven't yet succumbed to waxing mid-way through a trip...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd say one wax for every 5 or 6 days skiing, more if snow conditions are poor. Then storage wax at end of a trip if not to be used for a while.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When you wax them do you melt the wax on, I saw in a shop I was in the other week they seemed to just rub the wax on using a machine like a polishing machine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wax for every trip, not difficult to DIY

On the other extreme
Just got back from a trip where I persuaded my brother in law to get his board waxed for the first ever time, since the 7 years he bought it Shocked
The next day he nearly crashed into a barrier at the bottom of the first we did Laughing

He must have walked miles over the years when he ran out of steam on the flat bits
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hot wax every week of skiing. Sharpen edges every couple of days. It's worth at least buying a simple edge tuning tool to keep them in good condition. You can get them waxed and sharpened at the ski shop, but that can soon get quite expensive and the results are mixed. I only use shops for major repair work or base grinding. I do the rest myself.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
uktrailmonster, sounds like a lot of work! snowHead What does an edge sharpening tool look like?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1, yes, that's what we do. One wax for a week's trip, but three waxes for a 2 week trip. Edges when they need it, usually once a week, but depends on snow and what we are doing - every day if race training!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter Ross wrote:
uktrailmonster, sounds like a lot of work! snowHead What does an edge sharpening tool look like?

It's as much work as you make it!

See the link below. The Edge Trick Tool at the top of the page is what you need. If your edges are already in good shape, it only takes 5 mins to tune them up. It takes a lot longer if you let your edges get really blunt beforehand. There are more professional tools if you want to get into full scale home maintenance.

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,15/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is that wax-in-bottle any good? Like the way you used to put shoe polish on as a kid, the liquid stuff with a sponge on the top?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mdemon2, I hope so, just bought some.....but only as a "keep them going" kind of thing through the week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
To OP, definitely wax them, you probably don't need to worry about edges. if you are lucky you get fresh powder and you don't need or want edges then anyway.
In generally wax once a week, and I ski 6 days a week. I use a low flouro wax, at the moment i use Swix F4 all round wax. its pretty good, suits different temps and last the week.
I personally don't sharpen my edges, only when the snow gets really hard and i start sliding more then edging do i even think about doing the edges. Even then I normally dont. I just take it to the shop once a year (normally start of febuary when tis coldest and runs are hardest). i have done a bit of edge work myself, but don't see the point, i am no expert, and probably do more damage then good, all things considered.... such as edge angles.
peter ross, only ever use the hot wax that you melt on. the rub on stuff is useless, normally only last a few runs in my opinion. the stores use a rub version that they use a belt sander machine to apply, this is because its more cost-efficient for them. Hot wax yourself, set an iron to around 'polyester' - no hotter ! if you got smoke, its too hot. Don't plan on using that iron for anything else ever again Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wbsr, Thanks for the advice, if I have little scraps and scratches do I need to worry about them or will they sort themselves out when I ski on them?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So basically the rub on wax that I bought is rubbish but should tide me over for the afternoon when I arrive in resort - but essentially for me who goes for 1 week twice a year max - maybe the shop is the best place as if I use the iron she'd kill me, plus the fact have you tried buying ski wax in Dublin !!! Thanks to all ...................
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter Ross,
Quote:

if I have little scraps and scratches do I need to worry about them

No. Large chunks need a PTex repair, small scratches just wax and leave alone (according to the master Spyderjon)
latest report
wbsr, if you ski in Europe, powder days will be the exception rather than the rule Sad. Therefore it helps to have sharp edges.

My recipe for minimum effort and minimum spend on shop services is:
Have an initial shop service to get the base smooth and the edges set how you want them.
Slap some hot wax on every few (3-6) days. Don't bother with the scrape which is messy and time consuming.
Keep the edges sharp daily using a pocket tool with a diamond stone (takes a few seconds before you get on the first lift). I use the tooltonic tuning file which is also very good for filing the edge as well.
If you have minor base scratches don't worry.
If you get a major base gouge through to the core or a big ding in the edges, go back to the shop for a service.
You may as well have the service done overnight in resort unless your local ski shop is very close or especially cheap.
snow report
fraserpreston, you can order it online easily, try Spyderjon from this forum.

NickL - that's good news, the less maintenance the better they are from off-piste skiing on a thin base over New Year.
snow report
wbsr wrote:

I personally don't sharpen my edges, only when the snow gets really hard and i start sliding more then edging do i even think about doing the edges. Even then I normally dont. I just take it to the shop once a year (normally start of febuary when tis coldest and runs are hardest). i have done a bit of edge work myself, but don't see the point, i am no expert, and probably do more damage then good, all things considered.... such as edge angles.

If you ski 6 days a week throughout the season I assume you're an expert, or at least better than me. So I don't understand this. Even on fairly soft snow I can easily tell when my edges are getting blunt or burred over. They start to lose their bite and feel a bit dead. Maybe I notice this because I try to keep them nice and sharp, tuning them 2-3 times per week. Perhaps if I didn't tune them I wouldn't notice after a while. Interesting thought, but I like the feel of freshly sharpened edges. I agree in deep powder it makes naff all difference.

One thing's for sure, if you only tune your edges annually and ski 6 days per week they must be completely shagged after the first couple of weeks!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy