Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with contact lenses

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
NickB, Hi.

I didn't know you were on here. Still contracting?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, I used to have problems of dry eyes caused by my tears being too sticky - I think it's due to being middle aged the middle-aged, I'm now 48. I had to go back to glasses for a few years Shocked (but had daily disposables for skiing, and beach/swimming - being outdoors didn't seem to cause the dry eyes.) Then about a year ago my optician told me the technology has improved for people with this problem. So, if you havn't already - do ask about Acuvue Advance lenses - 2-week wear (and I have the astigmatism ones). I've not been told to limit my wear with them and I'm free of glasses. Well - not quite - I now need to carry a pair of reading glasses around with me at all times - have a nifty ultra-folding pair from Boots which I'll stick in my jacket for emergency lift-map/menu reading.)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I normally wear varifocal glasses but have daily contact lenses for skiing. One eye's lens is set for reading maps and menus the other for distance, which works fine. They do blow out occasionally even when I'm wearing goggles, so I have to remember to half close my eyes when skiing fast. They are also very good for swimming and playning golf in the rain.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep daily disposables do it for me too....

I often wonder why I can see the following morning too after a few too many!
latest report
 bloxy
bloxy
NickB wrote:

Opthalmologists will baulk at this, but I also reuse my lenses; making them last months. I've been doing this for years, only replacing them when they tear or I lose one whilst removing them.

I think it was Which magazine who had various daily disposables tested in comparison to the same manufacturers reusable monthly disposables. All except CibaVision (which were thinner and used a different formulation) were identical in formulation and thickness, though of course the manufacturers would like to dispute this. The suggestion was with proper lens care and cleaning there should no problem reusing most daily disposables.

I wear contacts for distance and now have to use reading glasses for close up (due to advancing years and age related presbyopia). It means I can't see lift maps whist skiing but as I ski in mostly familiar resorts it's not too much of a problem and I carry some ready readers for emergencies. I have to have glasses or a magnifying lens for map reading whilst hill walking.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bloxy, What's presbyopia? Do you not like Presbyterians, or is it just that you can't see them? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 bloxy
bloxy
SuburbanSkier wrote:
or is it just that you can't see them? Madeye-Smiley

Can spot them a mile away but can't see them when they are close up:-)

Presbyopia is where the lens of the eye becomes more rigid and is less able to accommodate for near and far vision. As a consequence the ability to focus on close objects is lost and you end up needing reading glasses.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bloxy, I have the same problem plus astimatism and use monthly disposable toric lenses. Started in '99 when I bought a new helmet which fiited properly and made wearing glasses painfull. (motorcycle helmet - not doing THAT debate!) The spin-off was the much improved skiing comfort. It also improved my squash performance, well , at least I think so! I've never lost one except down the plug 'ole after having one too many.
Having been pretty myopic since adolesence I now find I that my eysight is 'improving' i.e, getting less short sighted but the presbyopia means, as you say, that readers are required. However, I usually ski with people who have good sight so I don't need to read the map. I just follow them. (blindly? Smile ) I do take readers along for the lunchtime menu, though, and usually, but not always, change to glasses in the evening to rest the eyes.
To return to the OP's question, there is nothing like it when skiing. No fogging, no large gogs and you can wear cool shades. And no surgery.
As an aside, I wore them from 8am in Aspen until 10pm GMT last Wedneday/Thursday via Denver and LHR including the odd zzzzs on the plane without problems. Doubt my opticians would be impressed though!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Has anyone experience of the contacts you can wear all the time and even sleep in?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dolomiti99, I wear monthly disposables and sleep in them. Love 'em. I'm fairly short-sighted (-6.50 each eye + mild astigmatism) and have always hated waking up blind. Sometimes the first day with a new pair is a little uncomfortable, but that settles down after a night's sleep. I think mine are by Focus - they're soft and have a high water content allowing better oxygenation of the eye. I get slightly dry eyes sometimes, but that's my eyes, not the lenses, and is sorted by bog-standard drops. I've had the overgrowing blood vessel problem, caused by years (close to 20 - it does take a while) of continual wear of daily lenses (including sleeping), but at my last check-up the optician said that the vessels had stopped growing because of the better access to oxygen. Can't say I'm religious about the monthliness, but I do change them periodically. No problems sleeping, skiing, swimming (with goggles), boogieing/boozing in smoky environments, chopping onions - it's like having great sight but without having learned to love the smell of burned cornea in the morning!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My contacts have been fine twice at MK. I tried them on the mountain the other week with goggles. The goggles steamed up - it was very warm balmy weather when the sun came over the mountain. I resorted to prescription sunnies for the rest of the week. I think in colder weather the combination of contacts and goggles would work better.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy