Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Don't lose your skis

Poster: A snowHead
I don't know whether this is the right forum to ask this question, if this is not the right section, I apologise.

Anyway, my question is when you are skiing off-piste in deep powder, do you use a cord to tie your skis (bindings) to your feet like the old days, or do you crank up the DIN setting on your bindings to make sure they don't come off easily, or what do you do?

I am worried that during a fall the skis come off and nowhere to be found in deep snow.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There was an answer to this in the 'Bend Ze Knees' section, I think.
You get some brightly coloured ribbon, attach one end to rear binding and tuck remainder in back of boot.
Ski comes off, ribbon trails out.
I'm a beginner so not qualified, but cranking up bindings sounds like a serious no no Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There was a fairly exhaustive thread a little while ago, I think you might find a few suggestions snowHead
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34399
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks a lot.
My other worry is that I might end up say 20 metres below the skis, climbing up in deep powder to retrieve the ski is no easy task.

My friend went to Mr Smith's Ski Academy in New Zealand last year, he told me Mr. Smith crank up his DIN setting to 14+ when skiing deep powder. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You set your DIN for your weight, experience and boot sole length. I would not advise setting your DIN up to 14+

If your constantly falling over some money well spent on lessons would probably be more beneficial that cranking your bindings up and snapping something inside your leg!

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I value my knees more than my skis, so I wouldn't crank up my bindings simply to stop them coming off. Powder traces might be a somewhat safer option.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crusader wrote:
Thanks a lot.
My other worry is that I might end up say 20 metres below the skis, climbing up in deep powder to retrieve the ski is no easy task.

My friend went to Mr Smith's Ski Academy in New Zealand last year, he told me Mr. Smith crank up his DIN setting to 14+ when skiing deep powder. Puzzled
Whats better, climbing up the hill in deep powder or breaking your leg/tearing every ligament in your knee? I would respectfully suggest that Mr. Smith is crazy rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Greg - what you said is absolute correct.
No way I would risk breaking my leg by cranking up the DIN setting, I just wondered whether Warren Smith has his binding set on 14 when skiing on-piste.

Guys - thanks for all the advice.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crusader wrote:
Thanks a lot.
True. One thing that can help climbing back up a slope is to hold both poles together with one hand at each end, then use that as an anchor in the snow to help pull yourself up the slope when climbing back up.

Don't rack your bindings up unless you really know what you're doing. It's something experts sometimes do when the risk of a twisted knee are the least of your worries in a fall. Essentially it's appropriate when they are in seriously committing territory and they know they're not going to fall due to any minor stupidity. I'm not being rude, but given your questions, you're not there yet. Get some powder traces.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Steilhang wrote:
I would respectfully suggest that Mr. Smith is crazy rolling eyes

Absolutely! (I find it difficult to believe anyone would suggest this).
The only time it is reasonable to crank up bindings is where losing your skis might result in death (eg on an extremely steep slope above rocks).

Personally, though I own some powder traces, I find the ribbon method doesn't work - the snow simply tugs at the exposed bit of ribbon and it is soon trailing behind you. But if you can make it work it is a good idea. What we need is a way of tagging skis so that they can be found with something like an avalanche transciever - not sure if anything like that has been invented?

By the way, although skis normally stop where you fell while you fall further down the slope - it sometimes happens the other way round in very deep, powder, and the ski continues down invisibly under the snow and ends up below you.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball wrote:
Steilhang wrote:
I would respectfully suggest that Mr. Smith is crazy rolling eyes

Absolutely! (I find it difficult to believe anyone would suggest this).

I've had discussions with Warren Smith re off-piste DIN settings & I can assure you that he's well aware of the implications of high settings. If this is true then I'm sure there will have been factors that we're not aware of.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball, I've found that while ribbons are a PITA to use they do work, and if I keep the end of the ribbon tucked in my boot then they don't unravel behind me. At any rate, it's better than flailing around in deep powder looking for skis that ( as you say ) have travelled some distance under the snow and are nowhere near where you thought they should be. I once spent more than an hour doing that Shocked
I remember seeing something about a ski transceiver once. I just can't seem to find any reference to it on the web.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Crusader, I know plenty of skiers, myself included, that can blast around on piste on a type 2 DIN setting with no problems at all but then release too easily off-piste.

It's difficult to make a recommendation re settings as I don't know all your stats but as deep/difficult snow conditions can often be very 'grabby' I usually recommend to my customers that we set their bindings as per the DIN charts but with them classified as a type 3 skier. Then if you still release too easily then re-classify yourself as a type 3+.

The down side of a higher setting is vunerability to low speed or stationary (lift line) falls.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jon, Many thanks.
Yes, low speed or stationary fall could lead to something serious.

Regards,
Michael
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PS, nobody answered the original question - No nobody now attaches the ski to the foot with a cord. Too many possible bad things can happen when you fall (or are in an avalanche). We did that when I learned to ski in the 50s and 60s, but that was to prevent skis running off down the slope (before ski brakes were invented)
snow report
snowball wrote:
PS, nobody answered the original question - No nobody now attaches the ski to the foot with a cord.

Except for tourers using, say, new Dynafit's or Fritschi Explore's and wanting save weight.
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
PS, nobody answered the original question - No nobody now attaches the ski to the foot with a cord.....

David Goldsmith does.
latest report
I just use ribbon powder tracers, tucked into my boots but not attached to my leg. I leave the DIN settings well alone and don't seem to have any pre-release issues. I don't ski anything life threatening either!
snow report
I never fall. wink
latest report
snowbunny, when I get home I'll weigh the straps supplied with Fritschis vs. their ski brakes and see if that's true. wink Even if it is, I'd still use the brakes.

snowball, I'm sure you could at one time buy little "mouse" shaped blobs that attached to the skis and worked with a transceiver. Presumably there was a separate frequency for the "blobs" so a special transceiver was required? Maybe somebody here will know?
latest report
Yoda wrote:
snowbunny, when I get home I'll weigh the straps supplied with Fritschis vs. their ski brakes and see if that's true. wink

Agreed, and you have to buy the ski brakes as an extra with the Explore and there's no way of fitting a conventional brake to a Dynafit pin binding AFAICT Toofy Grin
latest report
snowbunny, yes they are extra but you said save weight not money Laughing

I'll report back with weights when in UK.
snow report
Yoda wrote:
snowbunny, yes they are extra but you said save weight not money Laughing

I'll report back with weights when in UK.

Well mine have brakes, but then I'm not using lightweight touring kit Toofy Grin The absolute weights between the 2 options would be interesting.

So, no-one seems to dispute the use of leashes with Dynafit's...so far Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 bloxy
bloxy
snowball wrote:
[What we need is a way of tagging skis so that they can be found with something like an avalanche transciever - not sure if anything like that has been invented?

Yes. They are small active transponders, really designed for transceiver practice but I did read about them being used on skis. Was probably in a US article.
latest report
if you are considering cranking the DIN setting to 14, maybe this thread should be re-titled - DON'T LOOSE YOUR KNEES !!! Toofy Grin
snow report
Another consideration not mentioned so far is what happens when you're in an avalanche. In most cases you want your skis to come off. So the lower the DIN the better; within reason. I only crank mine up to 14 when i consider that in case of a fall a broken leg is the least of my worries; ie high exposure descents.
snow report
Odin, purlease rolling eyes loose knees are essential for advanced skiing, as you shud no rolling eyes
snow conditions
Yoda, you are a very naughty pedantic boy. Now go and stand in a corner. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DIN 14. I suppose Braquage does put some pretty heavy lateral loads on the bindings. wink

I find it very hard to believe WS would advise a client to do that. I would be good to hear from someone with first hand experience BGA maybe.
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
DIN 14. I suppose Braquage does put some pretty heavy lateral loads on the bindings. wink

I find it very hard to believe WS would advise a client to do that. I would be good to hear from someone with first hand experience BGA maybe.

Just clarification - I DID NOT say nor imply WS advised any of his client to crank up the DIN to 14+.
My friend who was in his class last summer told me that he noticed that WS himself set his binding to 14+ when skiing in deep powder.
snow conditions
Crusader, what setting did WS use normally?
snow conditions
Hmm - Ali Ross says that he always has his bindings set to the lowest possible for him, even in deep snow, because with decent technique pre-release is not a problem wink (and I have seen him hammer through a big mogul field Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
Oh dear Embarassed Well I can report that a pair of medium (86mm) Fritschi brakes (with screws wink ) weigh in at 228g. However, although I was sure that I had kept at least 1 pair of leashes it seems that I have chucked them all out, being convinced that I would never use them. Anyone have a pair of leashes they can weigh for us?
ski holidays
I once fell forward off both of my skis at once whilst skiing deep powder. The skis were both buried but we found them eventually.

One minute I'm happily skiing along a clear area between trees, the next thing I know I'm hurtling headfirst through the air without any skis Laughing
snow conditions
Done that loads of times.

Someone I used to know - a brilliant skier - has gone in for the French Grande Raid race several times which is entirely off piste from top to bottom of the moiuntain, chosing your own route. It is skied inpairs (mixed sex or same sex and the categories are also divided as professional / non professional. He has won the mixed-sex-non-professional twice with his girlfriend - ex French ski team, and once the non professional men, with another guy).
The year he was doing it with the guy and they were doing a training run off piste in very flat light. They had both cranked their bindings up to maximum. He hit a double bump that he just managed to see in time and absorb, but his friend didn't see it. His bindings didn't release - instead he tore both bindings' heel-pieces out of the skis! Shocked
snow report
Very strong knees, I must say.
ski holidays
if your worried about losing a ski, just employ a boarder to wait at the top then pick up all the collatoral damage on their way down...
snow report
abc wrote:
Very strong knees, I must say.
In my current state I think I'd just snap off at the knees. (but my bindings are set at 8 1/2 - so they should release OK Madeye-Smiley )
snow report
snowball,
Quote:

PS, nobody answered the original question - No nobody now attaches the ski to the foot with a cord. Too many possible bad things can happen when you fall (or are in an avalanche). We did that when I learned to ski in the 50s and 60s, but that was to prevent skis running off down the slope (before ski brakes were invented)

Yes they do. Most tele skiers will be attached to their skis. My touring tele ski bindings are releasable, but don't have brakes, so I use leashes. My downhill teleskis have 7TM releasable bindings with brakes, but the brakes only work if the binding releases properly, not if the heel clip is knocked down or the duckbill twists out of the toe box. So though i don't use leashes I do have a ankle strap that stops the heel clip being released accidentally.
snow conditions
Yes, OK, there are some circumstances.
Actually when I learned we had a strap which was attached to the cable binding on the inner side, was looped around the ankle and buckled to another short strap on the outside cable. When you fell the ski often twisted around and hit you.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy