Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moguls/Bumps - Where are the bad ones

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
mountainaddict, The Fox wrote

Quote:

Outhouse in Winter Park (Mary Jane mountain at Winter Park is considered the bump capital of the US)

But I agree with both of you. WP = bump central

Lone Pine on Norquay (Banff) can be a bit tasty also!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Combe du Machon in Avoriaz is IMO harder than the Swiss Wall, It is however shorter.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Tunnel run at ADH, are the biggest, hardest, steepest I have ever skied. Did it just once to satisfy my ego, but if I am being honest I did not enjoy it. A tad too hard for me, the Blackest Black piste I have ever skied, or I am just getting old Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kel, I agree, but then I already was old when I fell down it! Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle wrote:
Does Tortin always have moguls on it these days? I'm sure I can remember skiing it decades ago, when it was un-mogulled. Puzzled

The moguls of Tortin are infamous. 99% of the time they are there.
However, I recalled (about 10, 15 years ago) one year they bashed down the moguls because they got too big.

Somehow, I felt the moguls on Tortin have not been as fearsome as in the old days.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Schindlerkar and Mattun (amongst others) in St Anton. Seriously long and wide powder bowls that get bumped up pretty quick once they're opened after a snowfall.

Schindlerkar: take a right on the run from the top of the Schindlergrat chairlift. Top half, as far as the path out to the right, isn't too bad - gradient's not too steep unless you look for it, and you can choose bigger or smaller bumps by heading down the middle or the sides. Bottom half (drop left at the start of the path) is pretty steep and not so wide - best left until you are fairly comfortable with bumps.

Mattun: turn left near the top of the run from the top of the Vallugalift (the T-bar that is the only way out at the end of the run from the Valluga cable-car). You can find pretty steep sections, mainly by sticking to the right of the bowl, but most of it is medium severity. It's the length rather than the difficulty that knackers people out. You can get in to the other side of it by walking a short distance in the same direction as the lift was travelling at the top of the Kapall chair. It's not quite so long from that side, and the snow tends not to be quite so nice.

For practicing on gentle bumps on a modest gradient, try the left side of Blue Osthang below Galzig, under the Osthang chair (although watch out for the deep rut that is often worn by the seasoned ski bums down this pitch). And for really steep bumps (when there's enough snow to cover the scree at the top), drop left into a wide gully about 50 yards down the run from the Schindlergrat chair. I don't think it's got a name, but it's fairly obvious where people have stopped to have a look over the edge, though not so many choose to ski it.

And I'm surprised no one has mentioned Taos. I haven't been there, but I believe it has a big reputation for bumps.

The real answer, though, is that you can find them most places where there are enough advanced skiers, if you know where to look. If you're reasonably advanced, get yourself in ski school and the instructor should show you where to find them and how to ski them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crusader, Tortin is tame.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle, not very big at the start of the season - nice powder face at that time!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tortin is highly dependant on conditions. Most of the time is it very straightforward and tame, if however it hasn't snowed for a while and it's been heavily skiied then the bumps if you go straight in can be up to six feet high, or if you go across the traverse it is very bumpy and narrow. Add in the odd hidden rock and a load of out of control punters who are not up to skiing it then it can be a different proposition. I suppose this is true of most big mogul fields
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In my fairly limited experience, if you want bumps you should go to North America. Many US and Canadian resorts leave more than half of their skiable area completely unpisted with invitable consequences.

My favourite bump run is Stumbocks leading to Bell's landing in Panorama - nearly 4000 vertical feet of huge bumps with just a short cat track in the middle. It hurts, but it's fabulous.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stowe.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy