Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How tight to do up boots?

Poster: A snowHead
I get occasional problems with "dead" toes, my boots fit fine, they were done by precision, and I went to see CEM a year later who did some tweaking, which helped.

I was origionally skiing with very thin inner socks, but having had the boots and zipfit liners for a few seasons I skied in "normal" thickness ski socks last time, the socks were Conformable ski socks.

I did think this may cause the tightness around my toes to return, and I was right.

I started mucking around with a few things on my last ski trip. If I undid the bottom two buckles completely, the problem went away. If I clip them on the loosest setting in the morning it was still there, but would ease in the afternoon.

So I'm wondering how much the 3rd and 4th buckle (counting from the bottom) have an affect on the tightness over the front half of the foot? I'm assuming there is some correlation, so was going to start loosening off the 3rd buckle a turn at a time on my next trip....

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get Kryptons - they only have 3 buckles!

(sorry, it has to be said)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, The only solution os to get new feet...sorry it's gonna hurt Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
buckles 1 and 2 (from the bottom) I dont fasten until the afternoon, and then to the minimum. 3 is as tight as is comfortable, and 4 so that it doesn't slacken 3.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
buckles 1 and 2 (from the bottom) I dont fasten until the afternoon, and then to the minimum. 3 is as tight as is comfortable, and 4 so that it doesn't slacken 3.

Interesting, thats what I ended up doing one day that seemed to work well......
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, I was told at the bootfitting day that no3 was the crucial one, and that 1 & 2 just were there to keep out the snow.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 18-02-08 19:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I seem to remember reading somwhere, probably on here, that you should be able to do all your buckles up with one finger (not all at once). I go for the Frosty the Snowman technique of concentrating on buckle 3 and leaving 1 and 2 undone until after lunch. In fact, I skied with 1 and 2 undone until Friday of my recent hol; my skiing definitely improved when I did them up and tightened 3 and 4.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am less concerned with buckle 1....the rest need attention and 3 being the most important for me, but they are all done up finger tight...or varying degrees of finger tight
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was told this year that No.4 was the one to get as tight as poss (and give the booster/power strap a good yank), with No.3 a close second.

1 & 2 are there to open if you try to stand up in deep snow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc wrote:
I was told this year that No.4 was the one to get as tight as poss (and give the booster/power strap a good yank), with No.3 a close second.

Agreed - for best transmission of shin pressure to boot.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was told 3 ..then 4 ... 1&2 no matter , by a BBBootfitter
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agenterre, 100%, that BBB'fer was clearly on the button. Tibial 4 buckle controls flex and rebound, something worth adjusting given different snow conditions. Ankle 3 closes the shell at clog and coller, controls pivit position and secures the foot in the heel counter.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
so sounds like it's ok to leave 1 and 2 undone then? No harm to boot/foot will be done Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I do up buckle 2 as tight as possible (thats the top buckle) and then clip buckle 1 (the bottom buckle) so the strap isn't loose. Fraid there aint no power strap. I still get a little pain in my instep in my right foot by the end of the day, particularly if I'm doing lots of tele turns.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Get Kryptons - they only have 3 buckles!

Get SPKs - they only have 2 buckles!
NehNeh
snow report
kitenski, what kind of liner do you have in your current boots?
There is a trick to buckling your boots at the beginning of the day with intuition liners.
latest report
I just had my boots re-fitted as I broke some toes recently.

The fitter advised that buckles 1 & 2 should be tight and (as said above) be able to be closed with one finger.

He advised to flip them off (1 & 2) to relieve the pressure when going up in a chair. After all your feet are bound to ache if you are puting them under the stresses of skiing for 5 or 6 hours a day.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 19-02-08 11:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
SnowHot wrote:
kitenski, what kind of liner do you have in your current boots?
There is a trick to buckling your boots at the beginning of the day with intuition liners.

zipfit....
ski holidays
kitenski, I'll be the first to tell you I don't know anything about zipfit. Sorry.

What I know about intuition liners:
They 'give back' or 'fight back'(not sure how to explain that) when you tighten too tight in the beginning of the day they 'snug up' and you won't get them to relax all day, no matter what you do with your buckles.
If you start off somewhat loose, then tighten the buckles after you ski a run, the liners are comfy and toasty.

Sorry I can't help with zipfit. I hear phenomenal things about those.

What I know about feet:
All feet are different! wink
snow report
I definatley need buckles 1 and 2 done up properly. I usually don't do them up until I'm on the first lift to give my feet a bit oftime to bed down into the boot properly.

If I forget to do them up I find the turning of the ski more difficult as the front of the foot is a bit loose.
latest report
Numbering from toe (1) to Shin (4) and powerstrap (5) I go for:

First thing in the morning, walking over to the lift - all undone to let my feet settle into the boots

First run do up 3 & 4 with 1 finger pressure and close 1& 2 but just barely closed, powerstrap just in line with 3&4

leave things alone for a while and loosen all 4 and strap at first coffee stop

after coffee stop, and if going for a bit more 'push' I might do 3&4 to 2 finger pressure, generally keep 1&2 just barely closed. will give the powerstrap a good pull though.

Loosen everything at lunch and afternoon stops.

This seems to work for me, and after 6 weeks skiing, the boots (ably fitted by SZK last year Very Happy) are nicely bedded in and give me no pain at all Very Happy
latest report
My God, are we still on closing your fecking ski boots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, What is the point on seeing experts like you to get a good fitting boot to improve our skiing, IF we dont know how to fasten the bloody things!
snow report
That would be a yes. Smile

Is it possible to buy Intuitions online?
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, He did reply ... but still getting alternative views from others. Only so many times you can say the same thing wink
snow report
I thought this was a very interesting and informative thread actually. Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
My God, are we still on closing your fecking ski boots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does appear so, and we are awaiting for your words of wisdom on

a) what order to do them up
b) do the bottom two do anything apart from keep the snow out

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Waiting with baited breath, cos if I cant get away without doing up 1 & 2 I'll be happy snowHead
latest report
3,4,velcro to reststance, back to 3 close with a firm snap. Attach 1 and 2 on whichever tooth lets the buckle sit at 45°, flex, flex, flex and the buckles 1 and 2 should shut on own whilst in the forward flexed postion. Shall we do shoe laces now?
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
3,4,velcro to reststance, back to 3 close with a firm snap. Attach 1 and 2 on whichever tooth lets the buckle sit at 45°, flex, flex, flex and the buckles 1 and 2 should shut on own whilst in the forward flexed postion. Shall we do shoe laces now?

Ohh yes please, getting a bit sick of slip ons and velcro.....
ski holidays
Are rear entry boots the answer? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Am I alone in having my boots on the same settings all day every day? (I remember which tooth to use on each buckle - 1,1,2,3 working upwards)
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Am I alone in having my boots on the same settings all day every day? (I remember which tooth to use on each buckle - 1,1,2,3 working upwards)

Nope. On my Atomics my settings are whatever, whatever, 3, 3, good tug. If I'm skiing on piste very hard, gates perhaps, I'll go w,w, 4, 3, strong tug. Means I don't have to engage my brain when I'm in the ski locker room first thing in the morning.
latest report
Mosha Marc, I tighten mine up .... and are a couple of teeth on ( on buckles 3 and 4 ) from my original fitting 4 months ago ...
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:

Nope. Need a run on a slightly looser setting to get foot settled in then I snick-up for the day.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

Agreed - for best transmission of shin pressure to boot.

I was told by a bootfitter guy to put the power strap INSIDE of the shell (if possible, that is).

The order he advocates is 1) a good yank of the power strap 2) close 3 tightly to pull the foot back into the heel pocket 3) #4 (top) buckle jsut tight enough the shell hugs the shin.

I found little difference in performance with the tightness of buckle number 1 and 2. So I do them lightly.
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:

Nope.

And I write down what the settings are when I pack all the stuff away, so X years later I have a chance at remembering what they were.

Anal, moi? Cool
ski holidays
mdemon2 wrote:

Anal, moi? Cool

er, they are meant to go on your FEET Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy