Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Radical Freeride 175

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I recently bought a pair of these skis and just got back from a week in the 3 Valleys, France. I'm a reasonably competent skier with 5 weeks some 15 years back and 6 weeks over the past 4 seasons, but still a lot to learn!

I previously had Dynastar Contact 9's (165) which I did like a lot - they gripped well and carved amazingly, but I had seen the Radical skis each week at Sandown Park Ski Shop (Surrey) when I took my daughter to ski club and thought 'They shall be mine!'

Anyway - the first 2 days were very warm and slushy in the afternoons and this was really heavy going and whilst the skis coped very well I will withold judgement on that due to the conditions, for now.

After fresh snow I went off piste in powder and found the skis came in to their own - floating well and allowing me a degree of fun I had not experienced before. I have Marker Jester bindings and the whole package allows a degree of ease in spinning/twisting the ski which I came to appreciate over the week. I found I did far more off piste than usual, simply because I enjoyed it so much on these skis. As the literature states in their brochure - they are very light and lively - and when skiing I could tell exactly what they meant.

I was initially more concerned on piste though, finding limited grip in turns and whilst 'side-slipping' was a breeze when required, I found the lack of grip meant I lost confidence on piste.

I am not sure if the edges were not suitably 'sharp' from the factory (though I have emailed the to clarify if edging is typically required in the shop before sale) or if it were something else to blame (i.e. ME!) .....

On my last day I somehow realised that in order to carve these skis well I had to lean them over more than my previous skis, but when done I was rewarded accordingly. Not sure if this is due to the wideness of the ski, or the larger 'turning circle' (or both) in comparison to my Dynastars - but how much more reassuring it felt when I realised this, so piste became far more fun too.

All in I came to love the new skis through the 8 days using them and I can't wait to use them again.

Anyone else tried them?

Cheers

Nig
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bit expensive, no?? worth the extra ducats?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hia

well - skis were £650 and £160 bindings .... so yes, more costly than many I guess. I suppose that's what you pay for Carbon and Kevlar really (same with MTB parts too).

Firstly, it took me a few days to get used to them - but I love them now.

Certainly lighter than anything else I have seen.

I've not tried other all-mountain skis, but I prefer them to the Dynastars I had, so yes worth it to me!

Nig
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nigel H, top tip - don't put your email address in your signature. It will get picked up by spammers and the onslaught will be relentless...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy