Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm just not wearing it!!

Poster: A snowHead
It's entirely possible that the central figure to this may well have joined snowHeads since we all got back from Livigno last week - I did mention the site at some point. I make no apologies for this either way.

The person in question is an "experienced" recreational skier, although I have no evidence of this as I didn't see him ski.

His claim:

That his GPS rolling eyes clocked him skiing at 98 mph............on a red run..........straight-lining..........on a pair of twin tips..........of 158cm length.

By his admission, these are not the most rigid skis, though reasonably so. Some of the other guests also raised an eyebrow at this claim.

Possible, improbable, likely or fantasy?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
98 kph is quite possible. Actually speeds into three figures in KPH are possible. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BS, plain and simple.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe he needs to calibrate his GPS! Or it may have been a severley undergraded red run, Been cloked at just over 105kmph on a pair of all mountain and 115 on a pair of race skis but both on a specially prepared speed track.

I know some of the twin tip guys can gun it but that does seem a tad ott? He should have went the whole way and said he was riding switch Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
clocked him skiing at 98 mph
= 157.71kph
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Improbable IMV. 98 kph would be more believable. Laundrette #1 has done about 95kph on blades.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mark Hunter, Two of the Axsettes clocked 93 Kph through the radar speed trap at Wengen. 98 Mph seems a tad farfetched to me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman, 95kph on blades? Can we have some sense here please. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What's a KPH?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was watching a youtube vid last night of one of the pros giving a detailed commentary on the Lauberhorn. I think he claimed about 90mph at the fastest point. To put that in perspective, skisimon reported about 90kph (on axsman's GPS, and starting from standstill) on the same section. Well actually the timing gear said 533.33kph, but it also said the same for ronald.

A poorly filtered GPS, with a poor lock can interpret the jumping around as a high velocity. I've certainly been on MTB, stopped to eat a banana, and reported velocity spikes that I'm not even capable of on a roadbike down a 25% gradient.

So taking that into account, I'd go with BS.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
What's a KPH?

1,000 metres in 3,600 seconds
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The inaccuracy of GPS, which changes over time, means that spot speeds are likely to be hopelessly inaccurate. If the guy says that for a few seconds or so, his GPS clocked him at 98mph, he may be telling the truth (although his GPS isn't). If he's saying that over a run of any length his GPS clocked him at 98mph either he's wrong, his GPs is knackered or he's a liar.

Whatever the truth, he is one sad man. Why isn't he just sking instead of tossing around with a GPS device to see how fast he's going? Did he mention anything about the size of his willy?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
He might have hit 98mph if he had fallen off a cliff....but not on piste.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ordhan wrote:
Maybe he needs to calibrate his GPS! Or it may have been a severley undergraded red run, Been cloked at just over 105kmph on a pair of all mountain and 115 on a pair of race skis but both on a specially prepared speed track.

We're talking Livigno here - much as I loved the place their run grading seems in the most to be over graded. I'm not sure I can recall a red that would have been long enough in all honesty.

Quote:
He should have went the whole way and said he was riding switch Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WC DH average 60mph and reach speeds upto 75mph on 217cm skis and 130/150 flex boots to control them. They struggle to fit in our Superfeet Custom chairs due to the size of the thighs required to maintain balance. Now, with that in mind, can we talk about this chap on his Snowblades again? Laughing
snow conditions
Guvnor wrote:
He might have hit 98mph if he had fallen off a cliff....but not on piste.....

GPS is even less accurate measuring height, so a reported 98mph could mean anything.
ski holidays
Mark Hunter,

Can't imaging those speeds possible anywhere in livigno
ski holidays
Quote:

Laundrette #1 has done about 95kph on blades.

Do blades not just melt at that speed! I think some people need to read the manual for there gps devices Very Happy
latest report
nonsense i think he has mixed up his mph's and kph's.

speaking with an ex WC downhiller the fastest he has ever gone was 158 kph in wengen.
snow report
Fastest I've managed on mine is 75.1mph, and that was down a steep black.
ski holidays
Spikyhedgehog, how? Where? Presumably not measured with a GPS?
latest report
johnboy, exactly!

SMALLZOOKEEPER, about 180cms and probably 60-65kgs. Not the biggest, nor most muscular guy I've met. Some of those high altitude, high speed winds that we had would have provided a forward momentum challenge.....
snow report
Spikyhedgehog, what have you got 158 twin tips as well?
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Ordhan, skimottaret,

The actual speed (at least as measured by GPS) was 56.7 mph (~90.8 kph - I got my mental conversion wrong), straight-lining the end of the Côte 2000 (Megève) Ladies' World Cup downhill piste. On the next run down, the same device clocked me at 56.4 mph (on "normal" skis).
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
nonsense i think he has mixed up his mph's and kph's.

speaking with an ex WC downhiller the fastest he has ever gone was 158 kph in wengen.

Well 98 kph equates to 60 mph and I'm still not entirely convinced he'd have managed it. Oh, and this was achieved without wearing a helmet. Just to lob another grenade in.... Twisted Evil
latest report
laundryman, 90 kph is very possible on skis and very insane on blades Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley good effort, hope the piste was clear though Skullie
ski holidays
skimottaret, for sure! snowHead

It's got a nice, safe uphill runout too. The compression takes a bit of absorbing though. Shocked
latest report
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I thought this was going to be a thread about fartbags!!
ski holidays
Megamum, In a way, it is.
snow conditions
The axettes' 93 kph was measured by the Wengen speed trap radar, a device renowned for its accuracy not withstanding the 533kph it recorded for skisimon and ronald.

A later attempt wearing my very handy and recently calibrated (against my car speedo) gps (richmond NehNeh ) clocked 'only' 87kph. clearly my GPS was under reading. Very Happy

No Axsettes were injured in the making of this movie, well apart from this one
snow conditions
I did 98kph throght the Wengen trap several years ago and I think with a bit of effort could have got just over the hundred, but I would suggest that 98 mph seems somewhat optimistic, if it is indeed the case I suggest he tries out for the british ski team
ski holidays
D G Orf, Laughing
snow report
D G Orf, I would suggest he stays away from the GS and saves his energy for the BS!
ski holidays
Axsman wrote:
A later attempt wearing my very handy and recently calibrated (against my car speedo) gps (richmond NehNeh ) clocked 'only' 87kph. clearly my GPS was under reading. Very Happy

What is this, 'Misintrepret Richmond and win a pair of Atomics' week (see flat light lens thread)? My comment was that spot speeds given by GPS devices are likely to be inaccurate, not speeds over a reasonable distance (many times the error margin).

Car speedos are inaccurate too, BTW, more so than GPS devices over a reasonable distance. You'd do better to calibrate your speedo against your GPS.
ski holidays
richmond wrote:

Whatever the truth, he is one sad man. Why isn't he just sking instead of tossing around with a GPS device to see how fast he's going? Did he mention anything about the size of his willy?

Forgive me. I took the above to mean you thought using GPS's was in some way indicative of a character flaw or low moral turpitude. wink Laughing
snow report
Axsman, nothing against GPS devices at all, I have two. I even use one of them. It's using them while skiing which is indicative of the problems you mention.
snow conditions
Oh dear Mark Hunter, Marc Poncin (#1 GBR speed skier) will be most disappointed Sad
There was he thinking he'd done well to win the World Cup event in Sun Peaks earlier this month with a speed of 155.61 kph and then your 'pal' clocks >157kph on his twin tips Laughing
I reckon he should take his 1080's up to the Flying K in les Arcs and give them a proper run.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 25-03-08 18:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Mark Hunter, If he believes it, he's a plonker. End of story.
ski holidays
admin, Laughing Laughing Laughing well if he registers and shows his face, I'll be sure to pass on your suggestion Laughing

stoatsbrother, what can I say.......?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy