Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Austrian Resort?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm organising a group skiing holiday again for a group of probably 25-30.
Will probably do it as a package to give myself less hassle.
Been to a few French and Italian resorts so want to try Austria this time.
We will probably be going on the 17th January 09.
So what resort would you recommend.

Most of the group would be competent skiers, happy on reds, with half happy with blacks.
Should a high resort be picked at that time of year to be guaranteed snow?
The group would be well up with the Apres Ski.
Is there anything else that should be considered?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Standard High Resorts for a mixed group ( snow sure ) are Ischgl, Sölden, Obergurgl or pick a place like one of the villages in Zillertal where you have the Glacier as backup.
Less now sure but good from mid January to mid March are the Ski-Welt area consisting of Söll, Itter, Scheffau, Ellmau, Going, Hopfgarten, Brixen and Westendorf ( did I forget any? ), possibly Kitzbühel, possibly Saalbach-Hinterglemm.

Any of those would fit the bill. Take your pick Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MhicEasmuint, BUdget and Party definatley Saalbach or Mayrhofen (Mayrhofen has a glacier as back up but I doubt you would need it) Both have plenty of reds Saalbach is full of them and some of their blue runs are red lights!!!

& if cost is no object Lech, Zurs, Ischgel All amazing with everything for all snow sports lovers and apres ski animals
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Regarding the cost of them resorts, is it dear to get there/accommodation etc or is it just dear in resort, food/drink(there will be plenty of that).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would add Bad Gastein to the list.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been to Ischgl the last 2 years, both DIY driving trips. This years trip was 1st week in Jan also went to Serre Chevalier & Cervinia later.

Compared to the latter 2 places the cost of living in Ischgl is cheaper, beers ranged from 3.50 Euros for 50cl to 3 Euros for 33cl, Serre Chevalier was 5 - 6 Euros for 50cl & Cervinia a little less. Food in the mountain & town resturants also compared well.

Accommodation was more expensive than the other 2, ours were apartments, not sure how hotel prices compare but I think they are proportionally similar to the apartment prices.

Although the accommodation prices are more you do get a consistantly high standard of accommodation, the apres ski is great, the snow reliability is good and the Ischgl lift system is probably second to none. Everything seems to be done to a high standard.

Unless the cost of the accommodation puts it out of your budget I would recommend Ischgl as a great place go.

Um, that sounds like I work for the Ischgl tourist office, but it is good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ischgl - for a combination of excellent, advanced intermediate terrain and fantastic apres ski nothing else compares. Its expensive by Austrian standards but the cost of beer, for example, is certainly much cheaper than France. If you're looking to book for between 25 & 30 I'd suggest you do it early. The list of acommodation available through British tour operators is limited as the resort is dominated by the german speaking market. I met a similar size British group as yours last year who left it late to book and half of them had to stay in other local resorts i.e. Kapp, See & Galtur.
If I wrote a list of 99 things I wanted to do before I die, included Ischgl and did that first I'd forget the other 98 and do Ischgl another 98 times.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I assume you already considered my (possibly) favourite resort - St Anton (which links with Lech and Zurs via bus or off-piste)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Which Austrian resort would you guys recommend for a group of 4 with 2 advanced and 2 beginner/near beginner?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr. Will wrote:
Which Austrian resort would you guys recommend for a group of 4 with 2 advanced and 2 beginner/near beginner?

Whichever resort you fancy rolling eyes

Seriously, any except the very small resorts will have terrain to suit both of those. We need more information about what you want out of the trip to be able to give any real suggestions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alex_heney,
Second week of Feb 2009
1 beginner
1 skier with 1 week's experience
1 skier with 26 years experience, comfortable on any run though prefers on to off-piste
1 skier with approx 10 years experience, comfortable on anything but the hardest black
Am looking for the Austrian equivalent of Alpe d'Huez. an all rounder, easy for all of us to meet up on the slopes, good ski school, not too busy in that week (which is why I am wary about French resorts), not too awful weather to put off beginner, preferably <3 hour transfer.
So basically a trip that won't put off the beginner while having an ability to satisfy the more curious.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
St Anton possibly not best for beginners or near beginners. Great for anyone else - especially off piste.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
St Anton.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr. Will, St Anton has very little for beginners!! Althought it is everything to every other type of skier!!! Lech and Iscghl are comparable in cost to St Anton and have more for hte beginner

Quote:

an all rounder, easy for all of us to meet up on the slopes

This is why St anton would be a bad idea not an easy place for beginners to get and ski around.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dr. Will,

Again there are so many suitable resorts it would be hard to name one.

I don't think there is a resort in Austria with a more than 3 hour transfer if you are flying to the nearest airport. I have never skied in France but have heard the opinion that Austrian resorts, even when busy by their standards, are never as busy as France. Albeit 2nd week February is still towards half term and will be noticeably busier than the week before.

Personal favourite is Zell am See which would satisfy your basic criteria

Good mix of runs, if slightly light on blacks. Depends if the experienced skiers actually want to ski with the beginner and one weeker? From personal experience of getting it wrong you would be wise to consider whose needs are most important? i.e. the beginners will not be on blacks but the experienced skiers can improve the beginners enjoyment/experience on the blues or reds

Glacier at Kaprun on same pass if you get bored on the local mountain and/or snow is poor, albeit weather/cold issues up there (3000m) Plenty resorts nearby- Saalbach in 30 mins, even Kitzbuhel is only 45 mins away.

Here is a link to local mountain, select the interactive piste map, you can actually watch a video run of each of the runs and decide for yourself

http://www.schmitten.at/en/winter/
ski holidays
Im off to Schaldming the last week of January with Crystal. Apres ski should be good as its the "nightrace week". Should be fun and maybe good for you guys if you can go that week later??

http://www.schladming-rohrmoos.com/winter/win-en_2525.htm

Quote:
Party for 3 days
More than 50,000 fans also turne Schladming into the biggest party area of the alps and celebrate until the early morning in the new party tent in the centre of Schladming, where the party already will start 2 days before on Sunday.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-07-08 7:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I have been selecting Austrian resorts based on Bergfex Top 10. Current ranking (16/7/0Cool are

1. Hintertuxer Gletscher (Tirol)
2. Sölden (Tirol)
3. Ischgl (Tirol)
4. Stubaier Gletscher (Tirol)
5. Dachstein Gletscher (Steiermark)
6. Kitzsteinhorn - Kaprun (Salzburg)
7. Mölltaler Gletscher (Kärnten)
8. Mayrhofen - Zillertal (Tirol)
9. Serfaus - Fiss - Ladis (Tirol)

Think the list changes with the month as skiers prefer glaciers during the summer.
snow conditions
Bergfex list is based on the votes of the past 30 days. That is why you get six glaciers out of the nine resorts.
Even Serfaus maintains a short run with artificial snow for the kids this summer.
snow conditions
kerekip, So is as useful as a chocolate teapot for mid January! Glad you made that clear as I did not rate the Hintertux at all!
latest report
True. Hintertux is good for skiers interested in installing wind turbines but in the middle of summer it may be calm and sunny.
snow report
I thought the list was slightly off so thanks for the clarification. St Anton not in the top 10 I thought ..... Shocked
snow report
Obertauern is a great little resort for most levels of skier with an excellent snow record. Smallish ski area but you can ski the whole area most years and interlinks well for different abilities.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy