Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whitefish/Big Mtn? Lodging & flight info needed.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all! I'm in need of a bit of first hand advice/info. I'm in the process of getting quotes etc for a trip to Whitefish Montana (Big mtn that was) and i have a couple of questions. Firstly it seems an absolute pig to get to Puzzled since United stopped flying direct to Denver. Has anyone any experience of flying 2/3 stops to Kalispell? Some of the connections i've been quoted seem ridiculously 'tight' Shocked especially through Salt Lake City. Similarly has anyone 'experienced' the one stop via Seattle route??
My second question is the old 'location v price' query. Initially we wanted to stay slopeside at The Kandahar for all the convenience etc, but i've had a quote to stay in town at The Grouse Mtn Lodge for £339.00 pp less!!! Shocked So has anyone got any experience of either hotel? especially the Grouse's shuttle service to the mountain etc.
Any info greatly recieved.
Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kalispell is the most convenient airport but its drivable from Calgary and you could ski Castle or Fernie en route. I take it that this is out for you given you don't mention renting a car. I'd stay in Whitefish not on the hill as on hill looked very chi-chi but not that lively out of hours - the new baselodge looked very nice but only had the smallest of food service offerings which seemed ludicrous. Mountain is fun with some "interesting" opportunities to get yourself lost in the trees but the lap round hellroaring basin is a big of a ballache.

We actually stayed in Kalispell as we'd driven down from Red Mountain via Creston & Libby.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
excitableboy, Several years ago I flew into Kalispell from the East Coast of the US and stayed the first few nights at Grouse Mountain and the next several at the Kandahar. I'd have to recommend the Kandahar. It's right on the slopes and it's got a lot more ambiance. There's a couple of really great apres ski bars right at the base too so it's only boring later and by then you have some pretty nice amenities at the Kandahar to use. The bar at the Kandahar is cozy and the restaurant at the time was excellent with a solid wine list. I was at the annual US North Sails meeting and boy, did we blow it out on the wine list. North Sails has more carefully controlled meeting costs since! Grouse Mountain is more or a standard hotel, nice enough, but without lots of ambiance, but it's not bad. I think there's a handy shuttle between town and the mountain so it's easy to get back and forth, and not a bad ride. You have to check out the Great Northern bar in town. It's a real throw back with chicken wire protecting the band just like in the Blues Brothers movie. The town has wooden sidewalks too which you don't see in too many places. I didn't have time but Fernie is across the border and it certainly would make for a great alternative during your trip if at all possible.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Northwest/KLM

UK - Amsterdam (AMS) - Minneapolis (MSP) - Kalispell (FCA)

Jack's post is spot on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been a couple of times in late early 90's (both driving) once from the North Calgary via Fernie, Kimberly. Other time driving up from Denver Via Apsen,Jackson Hole, Bridger Bowl, Big Mountain (long trip).

Both trips stayed downtown in Whitefish.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
excitableboy,

I'll agree with Jack, about the Kandahar. I stayed there many years ago and found it very good: quite small, and a good friendly vibe. Totally agree about the bar and restaurant.

The time I went, I flew from Atlanta (was living there at the time) via Minneapolis with NorthWest. No problems with tight connections, but you might have if you're flying in from outside the US, and have to unload your bags to clear immigration and customs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many thanks for the feedback guys. I think we'll probably go with the Kandahar as it's just the two of us on this trip and my wife likes 'cosy'! The flight choices/operators are proving to be 'interesting', the Seattle one stop option which arrives at Kalispell at 23.15 Shocked or either the two stop Chicago/Denver/Kalispell or Cincinnati/SLC/Kalispell options both with 'tight' connections along the way. It'll probably come down to a choice between Ski Safari or Ski The American Dream, not the best journey either way.
We actually did Fernie last year with friends so we aren't considering the driving option this time, just the hassle free 'cosy' one wink
Cheers .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are spending 4 nights at Whitefish next Feb as part of our annual Canada/US road trip.
We fly to Calgary and ead South the next morning.
Booked accomodation direct with resort website staying at Morning Eagle condos. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I spent 4 days in Whitefish in January.

I flew with Northwest to Kalispell from Gatwick.
The outward journey was a pain (2 stops Minneapolis+Seattle) but the return was easy peasy (1 quick stop in Minneapolis only)

Definitely stay in the town rather than on the hill.
There are loads of great bars and restaurants in the town.
The free bus service to the hill is excellent.
Most of the hotels in town will pick you up for free from Kalispell.

There is no need to hire a car if you are only going to Whitefish but to travel all that way and not explore nearby resorts e.g. Fernie would be a real waste.

Enjoy Whitefish it's a top resort! Better than Fernie in many ways IMHO.

There's more info in my trip report:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=846286
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
excitableboy,

Another possibility is that you can take the extremely low air-fare with NWA to Seattle that I've posted in my thread and drive to Kalispell - the airfare for the Alaska shuttle SEA-FCA is more than your LHR-SEA fare.
I know the route from Seattle quite well, including Kalispell/Whitefish - used to live there - and it's a great journey (thru the still 'Wild West') !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jeu-d-esprit wrote:
excitableboy,

Another possibility is that you can take the extremely low air-fare with NWA to Seattle that I've posted in my thread and drive to Kalispell - the airfare for the Alaska shuttle SEA-FCA is more than your LHR-SEA fare.
I know the route from Seattle quite well, including Kalispell/Whitefish - used to live there - and it's a great journey (thru the still 'Wild West') !

Along those same lines, there is also a train from Seattle directly to Whitefish. www.amtrak.com
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy