Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Train

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Going to Val in January, am thinking about using the eurostar from Ashford to Bourg St Mourice(Sp).

Any views on this please, also are there transfers from station to resort or taxi's only??

Have flights in holiday package but may get those back and use the train. I live 10 mins from Ashford Int

Thanks Tim
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I live 10 mins from Ashford Int

No brainer...take the train! Best way to go IMHO!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is easy to get a bus from BSM to VT.

Take the train.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
madog, I vote the train too - two extra days skiing for a start! By the way it is quicker to get off in Moutiers than BSM to get to Val T. The coach from the station takes about an hour and stops at Les Menuires on the way. The cost for a return coach/bus is £25-30 (thanks to the exchange rate!).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry guy's I meant Val D'isere

apologies, Thank you for replies tho

Tim
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
madog, fair enough, then do get off in BSM wink . Sorry, I don't know how you'd transfer up to Val d' from there but I'm sure someone'll be along shortly who does.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flowa wrote:
madog, fair enough, then do get off in BSM wink . Sorry, I don't know how you'd transfer up to Val d' from there but I'm sure someone'll be along shortly who does.

Bus, Taxi, Thumb (as in "a lift"...)
snow conditions
 brian
brian
http://www.autocars-martin.com/index.aspx
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, bus (from just outside the station- straight on from the trains) is easy. Buy tickets at a special window just inside the station.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote for the train and my first snowHead post this winter!!!

Bus timetables used to be found at http://www.altibus.com
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
madog,
Going straight through or change in Paris..?

Jump straight on the VD bus at BSM
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
But is that the train where you have to sit up in a seat all night? Bummer. I've done the lying down sleeper from Paris, and I've done a sitting up coach - more than once. The coach is uncomfortable and cheap. The train is uncomfortable and expensive. What's the advantage?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w,
Quote:

What's the advantage?

Carbon footprint?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, I can see there's a carbon footprint advantage. But one coach with 52 people in is not doing too badly.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you're thinking about the Eurostar all the way to BSM, then I'd recommend looking into changing in Paris and getting the sleeper. All night in a rigid seat surrounded by whinging children (and I can't really blame them!) is tedious. Change to an SNCF sleeper and get a good night's kip instead Cool
ski holidays
Well, I'm not that good at getting to sleep but I always sleep on the French sleeper train. But not sitting up, on a bus or anywhere else.
ski holidays
I like the sleeper from Paris, especially to BSM as it's the end of the line so, no worries about missing your stop.
snow report
Pack ear plugs (or listen to your mp3 to cut the noise) and an eye do-da. Lying down beats reclining seats which don't recline far enough and if the carriage is full are impossible to get comfortable in.
snow conditions
madog, if you live near the station then the train is the only way to go.
I thoroughly agree with ChrisWo and similar posts: if you are going by night then Urostar to Paris and taxi over to Gare d'Austerlitz for the sleeper. Well worth paying the extra for 1st class.
The daytime run-through Eurostar is OK.
snow report
I live 20 minutes from Ashford, so this year for the new year La Plagne trip have decided to Eurostar to Paris (2 hours (plus a bit at the moment due the fire in the tunnel)), and then TGV to Aime La Plagne (4 hours 20 mins) - looking forward to it I must say. Have factored in a couple of hours in Paris in the middle in case of delays - think will head straight to Gare Lyon, leave bags with lost luggage and then grab a bite somewhere.

Anyone know if there's any form of luggage restriction on the Eurostar / TGV? I'll have my main case with me, plus backpack and then boots in their boot bag. Didn't see anything about it all when booking . . .
Ed
ski holidays
Ed Ludlow wrote:
Anyone know if there's any form of luggage restriction on the Eurostar / TGV? I'll have my main case with me, plus backpack and then boots in their boot bag. Didn't see anything about it all when booking . . .
Ed

The luggage restriction is how easy it is for you to carry it on/off the train wink

There aren't any silly flight type 20kilo limits, as you hope the train will remain stuck to the tracks.

The direct services to BSM via Moutiers, Aime have a couple of rows of seats converted into luggage storage, but I guess that doesn't apply to the indirect..
snow report
Excellent - guessed there was no weight limit, but wondered if there was any form of oversized luggage thing, which may include multiple bags or some such nonsense - glad there's not anyway.

Looking forward to it - definitely beats the other option which was driving! (Especially when you have someone at the other end to pick you up from Aime Smile)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ed Ludlow, there is some restriction: 2 items of baggage per person, plus 1 small item of hand luggage. You'll be fine with your stuff.

Remember, to get the cheapest fares on Eurostar (£29.50) you need to book early (120 days) and book a return.
On SNCF you can get the cheapest fares with a single. The SNCF site states you can book up to 90 days in advance. This is not quite accurate: you can book 3 months in advance.
latest report
Thanks Jonpim, booked Eurostar in Sept, and paid I think 45 quid return. TGV was £160 I think, booked the day they released the tickets.

Did try and get direct Eurostar but they'd sold out. Still, not a huge worry, meeting a mate in Paris for the second leg of the trip. Also the stop in Paris means can pick up supplies for the journey without paying the, what I'm sure are crippling, prices on board Madeye-Smiley
latest report
be careful as there are restrictions on travel via paris/lille now. see here: www.eurostar.com/pdf/baggage/baggage.pdf or here: www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/travel_information/at_the_station/baggage.jsp (sorry, have tried to do the differently named link thingy, but it's just too much for my brain on a friday! please copy & paste if interested.)

afaik, there are restrictions/charges on non-direct ski trains. prob to act as a deterrent for people who want cheaper travel/only use the eurostar service for half their journey to the alps.
latest report
Quote:

The luggage restriction is how easy it is for you to carry it on/off the train

and (when I travelled in a 6 berth sleeper) how much of it you can fit with you on your bunk, how much of the available space your fellow passengers have taken on the floor and how easy it is to get it across Paris on the metro. If you're rich I guess you go First Class and have all the space. I managed all mine fine, but I was younger then. The rucksack was a great asset on a crowded metro and enabled me to mentally get my own back on all those Aussies who had shoved their rucksacks in my face on the Tube!
ski holidays
Yes crossing Paris dans le Metro could be interesting. It was bad enough a few weeks ago with a small holdall and laptop bag - the thought of struggling with a massive suitcase, backpack and boots might just persuade me to jump in a cab . . .
snow conditions
Ed Ludlow, nonsense - it's all part of the challenge. Just don't leave your skis on the metro...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thankfully only have boots to worry about - can't afford skis at the moment, so renting those Confused

Still, it's one less thing to lose . . .

One handy colleague has suggested wearing boots, helmet and ski clothes....it's one idea rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

a massive suitcase,

If you can't live without a massive suitcase, I'd suggest a cab. Maybe you could pack lighter? I had no problem with a large rucksack which included boots, and some of the bulky clothing stuffed in the ski bag. I did a week in Tignes, which meant a rush hour journey from my central London office out to Luton, with just the boot bag and ski bag - everything went in one or the other. That was enough to deal with on a crowded tube.
ski holidays
I could do, but unfortunately the mate I'm meeting in La Plagne has all his ski stuff in England, so I am taking that too, hence the massive suitcase Sad
ski holidays
Another vote for the train, albeit not eurostar all the way, the snow train isn't bad if you're not too close to the disco carriage, or change in Paris for the sleeper if you can get good rates (they have been a bit snidey by opening booking early of late)

Extra day's skiing makes it worthwhile to catch the train (quietest days too)

Bonne chance, maybe see you on the mountain!
snow report
Ed Ludlow, OK, it's really simple. He pays for your cab. Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy