Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do hire cars at GVA now come with hi-vis vests?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone rented a car from Geneva (Swiss side) recently? Do you know if they provide hi-vis vests now that France requires them to be in the car?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know but you can pick one up on ebay for about £2 incl P&P or Army Surplus stores for a similar price.

Certainly in Lyon they came with the vest, but that's France, not CH obviously wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Friends rented cars from Grenoble a couple of weeks ago and neither one was equipped with vest/triangle.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, You can get them for a pound in a pound shop Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, Screw fix do them for £3.99
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clive5 wrote:
rob@rar, Screw fix do them for £3.99

Bought one this afternoon. Just wondering whether to take it with me when I fly out this week, or keep in in my car for when we drive out at Christmas.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got one of those hi-vis vests in this European pack I bought which has got the stuff in it that's required, warning triangle, headlamp reflectors, European road atlas etc etc.

Now do the rules say the hi-vest has to be just available to wear in the car or when you get out the car e.g. to put snowchains on are you meant to have the hi vis vest on then and if not are you then done for breaking the law? Sensible to put it on anyway if you've got one for a job like that, especially if it's dark.

Surely there must be times when they expect said hi-vis vest to be worn or what's the point in having it. Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5, you're just supposed to have it - whether or not you use it is up to you. It is still legal in France to be a complete twerp if you see fit.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing,
Quote:

rob@rar, You can get them for a pound in a pound shop

Everyone keeps saying that but our pound shops look at me like I'm raving mad when I ask Laughing

Will try ASDA tomorrow, have one from Tesco £4, think can do better than that.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lou, Thats East Sussex for yer wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard,
Quote:

It is still legal in France to be a complete twerp if you see fit.

Quote:

Sensible to put it on anyway if you've got one for a job like that, especially if it's dark.

Thanks for clarifying that. Like I aluded to in my post above anyway there is no point just having it in the car for show just because it is now a legal requirement, you might as well use it. I shall use mine for it's designated purpose if I have to get out of the car to change a wheel or something. I think they are a good idea. Hopefully I won't be having to do that.

Really good idea for safety when people are putting snowchains on in the dark at the roadside.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lou You can buy them from motorbike shops as well as lots of motorcycle commuters wear them.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, we went and hired a car from the Swiss side in September and it came equipped with HiViz waistcoat in the passenger glove compartment.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, I'll have a look thanks, but only if they're a pound wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lou, I dunno how much they are to be honest, mine came with this Euro pack I bought and probably paid through the nose for because it came in a handy zipped carry case with the warning triangle and all the rest of it in!

I reckon they'll be a fiver? £3 perhaps? Have a look at a big motorbike chain store online and they might have them.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, I had the idea that I'd seen something written on here that you are meant to put them on in the car so when you get out you have them on then. I wear one for cycling Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Megamum, well that's sort of what I was getting at earlier on. What I mean is, yes it makes perfect sense to wear it if you're going to be doing something like putting snowchains on, changing a wheel or in the unfortunate event of an accident i.e. put it on in potentially dangerous situations.
snow report
Dunno 'bout swiss rental cars, but certainly french, italian and austrian ones (should) do.
Keep mine down by the seat. They take up so little space you hardly notice it's there.

Friend of mine got a fluo yellow fleece with sewn in hi-viz reflective stuff. Looks well weird, but could be handy for putting on chains in a blizzard.
ski holidays
Yep. hi-vis fleeces available from your local safety shop. Much cheaper than all that "branded" stuff too wink
ski holidays
http://www.thisfrenchlife.com/thisfrenchlife/files/psre_gilet_triangle.pdf

This suggests that wearing the gilet is also compulsory in the event you have to get out of the car because of a breakdown, accident etc. And put them on before exiting the vehicle.

For putting on snowchains on a dark night - definitely a good idea. You can feel very vulnerable. Or even for that last run down after the lifts have closed? Would help the driver of the piste-basher to pick out in his headlights. wink
snow conditions
pam w, I had a proper look through the pack I've got and had a look at it all. The vest is definitely a good idea and could save one's life. Had a quick squiz at the headlamp deflectors as well and the instructions. Shocked I am sure I will manage it wink however I was surprised to see that there are 130 different types of headlight and positioning is eveything Laughing Laughing
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, those headlight things are a bit of a nightmare. You spend ages squizzing at the instruction then one falls off after a few miles. Laughing
ski holidays
pam w, oh do they? Pants. Glad I looked at the instructions now instead of in the Eurotunnel carriage next week actually, because it says to make sure the headlights are clean and dry before trying to stick em on. I wouldn't have had anything to wipe the headlights with except my hi-vis vest Laughing

Actually while you're here Pam, you know the road up to Tignes where they were building a new road? Do you know if it's open now as they were still working on it last month when we were there?
ski holidays
Sorry I have this mental picture of being parked at the side of the road trying to put a high vis vest on my car. Confused
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, if you're thinking of the new motorway south from near Geneva airport to Cruseille (on the way down to Annecy) there's a thread somewhere suggesting it is officially opening towards the end of December. Somebody says it was on their satnav, and google, even though it'snot actually open yet. As soon as it's open I'm sure somebody will post about it.

Quote:

I have this mental picture of being parked at the side of the road trying to put a high vis vest on my car

You could do worse, in some situations, than slam the spare one into the offside door or the tailgate. wink
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, on the other hand they stick like sh*t to a blanket when you're trying to scrape them off having returned from France. wink. I'm not too convinced by them - if your car has a device for raising and lowering the headlight beam that might be more effective. There are entire threads on some Forums about this - gets v technical. I read one when struggling with ours and just got more confused than ever so I gave up.
latest report
rob@rar, Should you put your thermals in or outside your socks?
snow report
Is a high-vis jacket required for everyone who is travelling in the car?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
pam w, oh do they? Pants. Glad I looked at the instructions now instead of in the Eurotunnel carriage next week actually, because it says to make sure the headlights are clean and dry before trying to stick em on. I wouldn't have had anything to wipe the headlights with except my hi-vis vest Laughing

Actually while you're here Pam, you know the road up to Tignes where they were building a new road? Do you know if it's open now as they were still working on it last month when we were there?

Personally I've always just used duck tape, and stuck in on "so it looks right"

Not sure which bit of the road to tignes you're referring too - the bit through les bosses was being worked on in early nov. certainly, I guess the plan is to allow the through traffic to circumvent the lower part of the village, but it's not going to make any difference in journey time surely..
snow report
Masking tape on headlights for us too! Much cheaper. Would be great if they sold reuseable ones though.
latest report
loatie, no, driver only
snow report
Beam adjusters.....come on Laughing Having driven thousands of km on French roads,have never bothered....and never will.Have you ever noticed where your average French headlights point....mostly all over the place rolling eyes And,is it only me that has noticed the French tendency to use main beam all the time?Plus,I've lost count of the number of UK cars I've seen with only one...cos the others fell off!Pointless,and useless,all in one handy plastic wallet wink
On the subject of hi viz vests(along with all the other safety stuff,triangle,chains etc)The law is clear...they must be 'readily accessible'.That is,not buried under a mountain of kit in the bowels of the boot.Keep a hi viz vest 'inside' the car(glove box,door pocket)and the rest to one side of the boot so its accessible.Witnessed a Gendarme going mental at some unfortunate,as he emptied the car to find his chains Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Quote:

Beam adjusters.....come on . Having driven thousands of km on French roads,have never bothered....and never will.

You may scoff, and you will probably continue to get away with it, but French police can and sometimes do impose hefty on the spot fines for lack of deflectors (even at mid-day in the sunshine). Also, especially driving on winding mountain roads at night, I prefer not to dazzle other drivers and get annoyed if they dazzle me. But yes, those plastic things are an expensive and irritating fiddle.
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

French police can and sometimes do impose hefty on the spot fines for lack of deflectors (even at mid-day in the sunshine)

Been there, done that. rolling eyes
snow report
Don't all modern cars come with adjustable headlamps?
snow conditions
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:
you will probably continue to get away with it

I dont really see it as that....more a case of common sense.On my car(Santa Fee)the actual amount of deflection is minimal.Tried deflectors once and all they did was cut down light output Confused I always adjust my lights down and am careful not to dazzle anyone on main beam.I certainly cant recall ever being flashed by anyone wink What does get to me though,is all the numpties who load their car to the hilt...and then dont,or cant,adjust their beam levels down.They are a hazard....and not always British Mad
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, Ahh..beat me to it.AFAIK,yes they do.More a case of 'cant be asked' I feel?
ski holidays
snowskisnow, Thanks, I thought it was just me Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy