Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste locations?

Poster: A snowHead
Simple question if you go back to same resort in successive seasons will the pistes be in the same places so far as the piste map is concerned?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, simple answer, more or less.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Presumably depends if they moved the piste and/or produced a new map.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Piste maps are not exactly accurate thus leaving scope for a little variation each season Very Happy
I guess piste maps are as accurate geographically as the London tube map ....discuss Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Big question is: will this thread run to 27 pages? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Piste maps are not exactly accurate thus leaving scope for a little variation each season Very Happy
I guess piste maps are as accurate geographically as the London tube map ....discuss Very Happy

To how many decimal places? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It helps if you have your sat nav out on the slopes with you Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The lifts should be in the same place as last year..... unless its a new or replacement lift
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
daehwons wrote:
The lifts should be in the same place as last year..... unless its a new or replacement lift

or on a Glacier wink Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, I think you can get an upside down piste map for female skiers Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most pistes in most resorts stay exactly where they are, both on the hill and on the map, their travel being limited generally by geography.

There are exceptions, with a few alterations between seasons and to a much lesser degree even week to week according to snow (but they wont re-write the piste map for that). One example might be a run being re-routed to change is grading, usually just by moving the piste markers but sometimes by moving tons of rock.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cathy wrote:
It helps if you have your sat nav out on the slopes with you Very Happy
At the next bar, you have reached your destination.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I think you can get an upside down piste map for female skiers

it took me a while to work out that the top of the ordinary 3 valleys piste map is not north. Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, Yes, it is just does not compute that Courchevel 1650 is the EASTERNMOST valley despite being furthest left on the map.
snow conditions
There are generally a few minor changes in most resorts over the summer. In Meribel/Motteret this year, for example, two chair lifts have been decommissioned, and three or four pistes remodelled. A piste map might be revised every four seasons or so, but you'd have to study it carefully to notice the differences.
ski holidays
Thanks folks, the question was born out of the kids looking at my VT piste map earlier today. They have been telling me where they want to ski down from next Easter (yes, I know that's a bit early, but conversations turned skiing after the earlier light fall of snow today). I think I'm going to need a bit more red run practice before we go. On their list is:

Glacier de Peclet 3101m
Col de la Chambre 2803m
Glacier de Thorens 3133m
Sommet de Pistes (Orelle) 3230m
snow conditions
admin wrote:
At the next bar, you have reached your destination.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Worth mentioning to the more absent minded and less than sanitary of you to ensure the piste map you dug out of your pocket is actually for the resort required. Shocked One of my party made this collosal error last year and once we worked out why she was so confused and couldn't find the run we were on we all fell about and just went to the bar next to the lift rather than "just move on and forget about it", needless to say the drinks were on her. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Kaiser wrote:
Worth mentioning to the more absent minded and less than sanitary of you to ensure the piste map you dug out of your pocket is actually for the resort required. Shocked One of my party made this collosal error last year and once we worked out why she was so confused and couldn't find the run we were on we all fell about and just went to the bar next to the lift rather than "just move on and forget about it", needless to say the drinks were on her. Madeye-Smiley

You mean she hadn't taken it home, dried it out on the radiator and then stuck it in the 'box of piste maps'

How strange..
snow conditions
bertie bassett, no no, always pick up a pristine example or two on the last day of the holiday to take home Very Happy
Romain Guigon has a selection on line of the last 31 maps of La Plagne Toofy Grin

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/CollectionPisteMaps.htm
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
bertie bassett, no no, always pick up a pristine example or two on the last day of the holiday to take home Very Happy
Romain Guigon has a selection on line of the last 31 maps of La Plagne Toofy Grin

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/CollectionPisteMaps.htm

Yeah I do that as well wink

Withouth going too OT I've seen romains site, and looked at some of the old piste maps - interesting that there's now only one run on the right of the glacier (I definitely remember skiing the 2 a few years ago) and the couple of new blacks are blues on an older piste map.
ski holidays
And if you have been to a resort before, always make sure you pick up a fresh piste map when you next go there. There are bound to be at least some minor changes.

We too make sure we pick up a couple of crisp new piste maps at the end of the hols to take back with us, along with our lift passes. Don't know why as my desk is now stuffed full of them, to not very much use...
snow report
Megamum, I think in most large resorts there'll be some change from year-to-year, e.g. new pistes, new lifts, replacement lifts in slightly different positions, with slight piste re-routings etc.
latest report
Quote:

the more absent minded and less than sanitary of you

Kaiser, if you think an old piste map in the pocket is "less than sanitary" you presumably find it unthinkable to encounter a snotty tissue stuck to a half-eaten Mars Bar?
snow report
cathy wrote:
And if you have been to a resort before, always make sure you pick up a fresh piste map when you next go there. There are bound to be at least some minor changes.

We too make sure we pick up a couple of crisp new piste maps at the end of the hols to take back with us, along with our lift passes. Don't know why as my desk is now stuffed full of them, to not very much use...

Yeah but how else can you answer the question on here about that fab red run, you know the one just down from the restaurant at the bottom of the funny 2 pack chair with the odd name.

Dig out the piste map and all will be revealed wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Kaiser, if you think an old piste map in the pocket is "less than sanitary" you presumably find it unthinkable to encounter a snotty tissue stuck to a half-eaten Mars Bar?

Or deciding to take home a salami thingy sausage from the charcuterie in your ski boot & only remembering it is there when you packed for skiing the following year!! NOT ME I hasten to add!
latest report
blizt wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Or deciding to take home a salami thingy sausage from the charcuterie in your ski boot & only remembering it is there when you packed for skiing the following year!! NOT ME I hasten to add!

What was the outcome? was it still edible? Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That reminds me of the snowHead who skied with his contact lens stuff in one boot Laughing ....and hardly noticed the difference wink
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38769
ski holidays
Going back to a have eaten pack of gum after a year is not unknown...
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
That reminds me of the snowHead who skied with his contact lens stuff in one boot Laughing ....and hardly noticed the difference wink
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38769

Given the pain he said he was experiencing, I think he did notice the difference rather.

But to even be able to carry on at all, never mind start a second day like that! Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
They are tough oop North wink
latest report
Quote:

What was the outcome? was it still edible?

He never admitted eating it but I'm not convinced he didn't at least try
latest report
daehwons wrote:
blizt wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What was the outcome? was it still edible? Puzzled

I was referring to those of us who wash our clothes less frequently than once a year and hence discover "interesting" things in our pockets! Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

I was referring to those of us who wash our clothes less frequently than once a year and hence discover "interesting" things in our pockets!

Do you find you get chairlifts & telecabines to yourself despite a big queue??
ski holidays
Kaiser, dare I ask ...was she of the blonde persuasion (takes cover) NehNeh
ski holidays
cathy wrote:

All my old piste maps are now on the wall above my bed - one for each resort I've ever skied in. But that was only because I desparately needed something, anything, to stick up. The bare walls were driving me crazy Confused
ski holidays
mark_s wrote:
All my old piste maps are now on the wall above my bed - one for each resort I've ever skied in. But that was only because I desparately needed something, anything, to stick up. The bare walls were driving me crazy Confused

Wrong tense
snow conditions
[quote="PsychoBabble"]Kaiser, dare I ask ...was she of the blonde persuasion (takes cover)
Quote:

Errr..... not originally I think Laughing

blizt M'Lady attends to the ablutive side of things once they become (in her esteemed opinion) soiled Blush
latest report
I was planning to re-paper my bathroom wall (directly in front of the loo) with Scottish Ordnance Survey maps of the area including Glencoe and Nevis. (Currently it is the first half of James Joyce's Finnegan's Wake). I had thought of using 1:25,000 maps of the Tarrentaise but Mrs snowball doesn't ski. She does, however, like Scotland.
I suppose one could use piste maps - though it wouldn't be a unified wall area like the OS maps.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy