Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First avalance death and Swiss expert warns risk-taking skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Following the first avalanche death of the season in les Diablerets this week, Swiss avalanche expert Francois Dufour has warned that skiers and snowboarders “must appreciate the localized danger and note the area where snow has accumulated due to the wind”. Yesterday, a snowboarder was caught in the “Tricoteuse” after following tracks then removing his board to climb higher. Dufour continued “off piste skiers should not ski along, descend slopes one at a time and carry avalanche rescue gear including a beacon”. The Diablerets piste patrol had still not recovered the missing snowboarder’s body yesterday. ...There was also a second incident in Titlis involving a group of off piste skiers but no-one was hurt. However the lift company is considering legal action against the group.

See: http://www.worldradio.ch/wrs/news/rundown/news-at-a-glance-52.shtml?12087

On Monday a French ski instructor had a lucky escape after being caught in an avalanche skiing alone.

Further reading
http://www.slf.ch/
An analysis of Avalanche Deaths in France for 2007-2008
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unfortunately this is the time of year when a lot of avalanches occur. If anyone heard Henry's Avalanche Talk at the ski show he did say that.

Basically there have been great snow falls all over Europe, however all of that new snow is lying on the bare ground and hasn't adhered to the ground yet. As such there isn't a stable base yet.

Anyone going skiing on their own off piste in the current conditions I'm afraid is tempting fate. When I get to Val D in 2 weeks time I will definitely be going off piste with their experienced guides.

Enjoy the powder but enjoy it safely.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The use of the word 'definitely' is a little misplaced, non?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
wow... but the beauty of back country skiing is worth the risk...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Pow,

Oui. As you can see English isn't my native tongue.

Grammatically the sentence was correct. However, what I meant to say was that "If I go off piste skiing, it will definitely be with guides experienced in the local conditions".

Please let's not split hairs, the main message is to be very careful until the snow has settled and has a good base.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
According to le Bleu Matin the body of the missing snowboard had not been recovered yesterday despite an extensive probe search hindered by extreme cold and the risk of secondary avalanche.

According to the paper he incident has both saddened angered local freeriders. They can't understand why the man took the route when all the signs of avalanche risk were obvious (wind, snow accumulations), why he was alone and why he wasn't wearing an avalanche beacon.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof,

A transceiver probably wouldn't have helped if he was on his own.

Generally speaking you have 15 minutes to get someone out alive.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
welshflyer wrote:
davidof,

A transceiver probably wouldn't have helped if he was on his own.

Generally speaking you have 15 minutes to get someone out alive.

No but it means the rescue services have a much harder search and put themselves at greater risk. People have been killed trying to recover avalanche victims. It can also mean that your family can't get back your body and bury you until the spring thaw.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welshflyer; from what I read on the linked page, "The missing person and another boarder" went off piste. I don't wish to be a pedant, this could well be a product of the 'fog' of rolling newscasts.

...they also say that they have found a snowboard - either the person managed to release their bindings or it was one hell of a bumpy ride in there. Shocked

It's funny, we spend all this money on rescue gear yet so little on actually getting trained up. I'm as guilty as the next person - until a few months ago my 'transceiver practice' was limited to pointing to your mates in the lift line - "yep, there you are!"

What worries me more is the second item: That a lift company is considering suing a group of skiers for triggering an avalanche! Unless they did something phenomenally stupid - above a marked piste, say - that could set a very dangerous precedent for years to come.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sammy5, IIRC rescue authorities in France have sued those who triggered avalanches in previous years.

welshflyer, davidof knows a think or two about avalanche rescue - he runs Pistehors.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy