Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grenoble Airport - Boots & Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from Reberty Little Angel

At Grenoble airport they won't let you take boots or helmets as hand luggage, no problem on the way out from Gatwick flew both ways with Monarch.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Surely a helmet would be too wide for size restrictions on most airlines. And many airports already forbade boots in hand luggage last season (there have been loads of threads on this subject. It isn't worth risking unless you have checked with the airline and security at both airports.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What do you lot do - roll up at the desk and say "Here's my hand luggage, and by the way there's a helmet in it?" Why don't you just stuff whatever you want in there and shut up about it? Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard, because they scan it and it could be a right pain if at that point they have to retrieve your hold baggage from the system for you to repack.

snowball, I took my boots as handluggage out of East Midlands last year and at the security scanner this bloke asked, a tad aggressively imho, "Who owns the bag with ski boots in?" I thought I was going to have a problem, even though I had an email on me stating EJ were happy about it via both airports. All he asked when I went to him was which airline I was with and he seemed quite disappointed when I said EJ, and let me go!

Boots would probably make hand luggage overweight for most airlines (EJ have no limit on weight - if you can lift it over your head to a locker it goes). Can't see why on earth anyone should object to a helmet though, provided it fitted in the permitted size of bag. Bit of the over zealous jobsworth phenomenon perhaps?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If they pull you at x-ray, wear them! I've had friend swear helmets or boots onto a plane in the past. They got funny looks but the airline didn't object
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I haven't rung around British airports this year about ski boots in hand luggage but I did ring several last year and there seemed to be no unity - the different airport security people were just interpreting differently what was a secuity problem and what wasn't.
The airlines don't have their policy on this on their websites which is very frustrating.
As for helmet size - I don't have one to measure, but several airlines (such as Easyj), have one dimension of 20cm as the maximum for hand luggage and I doubt that the narrowest dimension of a helmet in a bag would fit this. The international size limit on any airline in the world is 25cm which probably just about fits it (could someone check?)

I got this from Wikipedia:
The International Air Transport Association (IATA) sets guidelines for cabin baggage/hand luggage/carry-on luggage size [1]. They are not mandatory, however, and individual airlines can and do vary their requirements. The IATA guideline states:
Cabin baggage should have maximum length of 22 in (56 cm), width of 18 in (45 cm) and depth of 10 in (25 cm). The sum of these three dimensions should not exceed 45 in (115 cm). These dimensions include wheels, handles, side pockets, etc.
As an example of the lack of standardisation some of the following airlines requirements are:
Austrian Airlines - Hand luggage may not exceed 8 kg in weight or a maximum size of 55 cm x 40 cm x 23 cm.
British Airways - One bag; 56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm (22 in x 18 in x 10 in) [2]
EasyJet - One bag; 55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm [3]
Jet Airways - Hand baggage dimensions vary according to the model of aircraft. [4]
Malaysian Airlines - One bag; 115 cubic cm [sic] (56 cm x 36 cm x 23 cm) or 45 cubic inches [sic] (22 in x 14 in x 9 in), not exceeding 5 kg [5]
Virgin Atlantic - One bag; not larger than 23 cm x 36 cm x 56 cm (9 in x 14 in x 22 in) overall and should also not weigh more than 6 kg [6]
Following the increase in restrictions imposed on flights from UK airports and to the USA after the events of August 2006 (2006 transatlantic aircraft plot), hand baggage on such flights was restricted to one cabin bag no bigger than 45 cm x 35 cm x 16 cm [7]. On 21 September 2006, the UK government advised that from the following day, the allowable size of the single item of hand baggage on outgoing flights from the UK would be increased to 56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm (ca. 22 in x 18 in x 10 in) [8], the IATA guideline size.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flying home from Grenoble last year there were signs everywhere saying no helmets (which of course we "didn't see"). At check in time, and going through the scanners, no one mentioned the fact we all had helmets attached to our backpacks.

The scanner guys also didn't pick up that I had a swiss army knife in the back pocket of my backpack (I didn't realise either) which is made of clear "net" type stuff so it was clearly visible. They did however confiscate my friend's litre of orange juice.

Ed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowball -it doesn't matter what IATA say it’s down to the airport if they deem it a security risk then tough, no matter what the airline says

Ed Ludlow - they were being particularly efficient, they asked at check in were they also had random bag searches, they were also hot on checking hand luggage at security if they find it you have a choice, leave it behind or go back to check in and ask for your bag back (not much chance) or check it in as a piece of luggage and hope that it arrives at the other end

As I went through on Sunday thought it was worth the post

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 23-12-08 9:36; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grenoble last year - we ignored the no boots in hand luggage signs and got sent back by security to the check in desks - not a problem really though as the staff checked the bags at no extra cost as they said it was their rule not the industries and so they don't charge customers who check the extra bags.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
radar, had the same the other week. Flew out from Gatwick with BA and the helmet was clipped onto my ruckasck - no problem – but had to stuff it into my board bag on the way back through Grenoble.

I wouldn't say a helmet is any bigger than some of the small wheelie suitcases that are being passed of as hand luggage these days. The woman in front of me in the queue had one and it was at least twice the size of my little backpack and helmet but my helmet had to go. Such is life though.

The only reason I like to carry my helmet with me is that when packed in a board bag, with everything being chucked on the top (we all know baggage handlers care nothing for our bags), you don't know what damage is being done to them (helmets) that could weaken them.

Oh, and you look like a gnarly old mountain dude with one strapped to your rucksack!!! Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy