Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche deaths in Austria today

Poster: A snowHead
Three deaths in Austria today in separate incidents. One in Damüls, one in Kleinwalsertal and one which happened yetsreday in Tirol. In the incident in Tirol the rescue teams were only able to get to the victim today!

In the incident in Damüls a 22 year old snowboarder skied into a slope that was closed for avalanche danger. His group had already skied the slope twice, but on the third run the slab released and buried one of them. None of them was wearing a transceiver!

In the incident in Kleinwalsertal a 41 year old skier skied into a popular powder run and released a slab. The avalanche situation was so extreme that the rescue services had to dynamite the slope before attempting to search for the victim! He was found after having been buried for three hours.

Lech had a lucky escape when an avalanche went down over the piste in the Mohnenfluh area, covering the piste over a length of 120 meters. Pure luck that nobody was buried!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, bad weekend for Austria. Very sad indeed. And perhaps a timely reminder to Christmas skiers that slopes are very often closed for a reason.

Take care out there guys.

D
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Aborted a ski tour yesterday because the avy level was very high (level 4) http://www.lawine-steiermark.at/ . There were also strong winds and some avalanches had already been triggered in the area. Skied breakable crust in the resort most of the day instead. It's just not worth the risk at the moment esp as the powder is either damp, wind pressed or been blown away. More snow is forecast and temps are forecast to drop. Avy danger is forecast to drop down to level 2 in certain ares from Wednesday onwards, probably best to stay onpiste until then.

Salzburg is level 4
http://www.lwz-salzburg.org/defaultnew.asp

Tirol is level 3
http://www.lawine.at/tirol/index.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No surprises, lots of snow followed by rain. Now the biggest problem comes. Freezing,new slow & off piste skiers who have no idea. After then next snowfall (not known yet) the Avi danger will be the most lethal .
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton, what do you mean when you say the next snowfall will be "most lethal". I assume the rain and warmth will settle the current snow pack quite quickly. Are you inferring when the snow freezes there will be a particularly slippery surface layer due to all the wetness that the new will bond to very well?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 23-12-08 6:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DB, Just been reading the avalanche reports from the links you posted. Noticed for the tirol there's an english report
http://homes.tiscover.com/RGN16at/lawine/lageberichte/LLBTirol_en.pdf Which for me anyway is easier to read than the original or googled translations.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waynos, gotta listen to the expert from Holland. He knows more about snow n mountains n stuff than you will ever do rolling eyes
It turns out the 41 year old in Kleinwalsertal also skied into a slope that was closed because of avalanche danger! I know that slope very well, and it is not possible to get into it without skiing under all the ropes and signs saying don't do it. He was also not wearing a transceiver, and was off piste on his own in Level 4 conditions. What can you say?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steilhang, Simply asking a quetion mate, never said I knew more than anyone or accused anyone else of not knowing stuff about stuff.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
waynos wrote:
Steilhang, Simply asking a quetion mate, never said I knew more than anyone or accused anyone else of not knowing stuff about stuff.
No problem at all! Here at snowheads we wait for these pearls of wisdom from our flatland Tirolean, then ponder their meaning.
Quote:
After then next snowfall (not known yet) the Avi danger will be the most lethal .
What could this mean Puzzled How does stanton know that the next snowfall ( at an as yet unknown point in time and unknown quantity ) will not knit well with the existing base? We don't know, but we listen attentively to the masters words wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
waynos wrote:
stanton, what do you mean when you say the next snowfall will be "most lethal". I assume the rain and warmth will settle the current snow pack quite quickly. Are you inferring when the snow freezes there will be a particularly slippery surface layer due to all the wetness that the new will bond to very well?

Rain on snow. Then freeze. Gives nice hard slippery surface.

Then a big dump of powder. The powder will turn into its own slab layer, sitting on top of the slippery surface described above. Given the right (wrong) conditions - like a skier going over it - the slab will slide off leaving the underlayer beneath.

You can demonstrate this for yourself (don't try it on a piste though!). Take a 45 degree sloped mountain. Dig a pit in the snow with your iceaxe so that the rear wall of the pit is vertical. 2' wide and as deep as seems necessary. Given the above described situation the top layer will slip off, giving you a nice mini-avalanche.

At which point, go back to cafe and drink vin chaud!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steilhang wrote:

Lech had a lucky escape when an avalanche went down over the piste in the Mohnenfluh area, covering the piste over a length of 120 meters. Pure luck that nobody was buried!

I guess that must be the Mohnenmahder piste. At the end of last week, the visibility was poor but quite a lot of people were using the lower part (below the Hasenprung lift) because the wind was fierce on the upper slopes, especially at Kriegerhorn and Steinmadher. As you say, a lucky escape that no one caught by it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steilhang,

"What can you say?".... 'Darwin awards candidates' is what I'd be sadly forced to say.

And on a totally different subject, we were skiing trees yesterday, and on entering a clearing encountered two bobcats walking calmly across our path. One was smaller than the other so I assume Mr & Mrs... I've seen several bobcats in Whistler over the years singly, one actually walking up the road outside my house one morning in the summer. But never a pair. It definitely made our Christmas day.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've just got back to work after the Christmas break to find that one of the guys killed was a colleague!
Shocked to say the least!

Apparently he was off piste with a guide and was carried a long way off before being buried!

Shocked and a bit horrified, my thoughts are with his family
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Apparently he was off piste with a guide and was carried a long way off before being buried!

Shocked cinglis, Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cinglis wrote:
I've just got back to work after the Christmas break to find that one of the guys killed was a colleague!

Sorry to hear that, in which resort did this avalanche happen?
snow conditions
DB wrote:
cinglis wrote:

I believe he was in Alberg, I haven't seen any specific news reports about it, so I'll keep the details to the minimum as I can only presume there are reasons for this.
latest report
cinglis wrote:
DB wrote:
cinglis wrote:

I believe he was in Alberg, I haven't seen any specific news reports about it, so I'll keep the details to the minimum as I can only presume there are reasons for this.
Sorry to hear about that. I think your friend must have been killed in a different incident though. None of the deaths reported here was in the Arlberg region.
snow report
cinglis,

Was he the New Yoker reported in this thread?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41100&start=120
ski holidays
Yes, that was him, I hadn't seen that thread, he was British but held dual nationalitys, and had been here for 18 months.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy