Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Retour Val Thorens Piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been told that there is a legendary 14 km piste either in Meribel or Val Thorens called Retour Val Thorens. However, in the last few years in the 3 vallees, I have been unable to locate it. Can anyone help me out?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oleypete, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
I've been to VT several times and I'm not aware of that name used against any 'piste' other than the double pomma located in the centre of resort.
No doubt a wiser snowHead will be along shortly.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is the only info I could find:

The famous Retour Val-Thorens. At one time this long (14 Km) black itinerary was the most famous and most sought after run in the Trois Vallées. Now it has been demoted to the status of a red piste. It is still long and is most frequently skied late in the afternoon after a tiring round trip from Courchevel or Meribel to Cime de Caron and Val Thorens. It is therefore still not to be taken lightly by intermediate or weak advanced skiers. Do not leave it till late to leave Val Thorens. The upper stages of the twin Trois Vallées lifts are a notorious bottleneck and you can queue here long enough to make the descent a race against time. Avoid this by setting off home early. Those from Courchevel are in the greatest danger they still have to catch the Bruyeres Gondola in Mottaret. Be warned that the lift company does not always clear the queue before closing the lift. It is common to be refused passage here after closing time and this will involve a very long bus trip down to Moutiers then back to Courchevel or an expensive but quicker taxi ride.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So do we know where it is?

http://www.silverliningchalets.co.uk/userimages/LesMenuires.jpg
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm sure I've seen lots of signs saying "Retour Val Thorens" but I have never thought that they referred to a specific piste, just that they were directing a possible return route to Val Thorens (one of many) Puzzled If it is the run referred to by Libertine iirc that is not just "one piste" but consists of several pistes which start at the top of the Trois Vallees lifts (not such a bottleneck now with the new "train" thingy) and meander down eventually going alongside the Plattieres bubbles down into Mottaret. None of that shown on the map linked to by Ed Ludlow, which is the Les Menuires side.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yoda, well spotted Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Have to admit I just googled val Thorens piste map and that came up - should probably have taken in the map rather than just searching for the name of the piste!
latest report
 brian
brian
It's just the old name for the main route back from Val T to Méribel from the top of the 3V chairs, Lac de la Chambre on the piste map. Most people (if they have any sense) don't bother to ski out the flat track down into Mottaret, they jump on the Plan des Mains. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
...and do the rollers and boardercross in the Mottaret park Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lac de la Chambre is one of my favourites, a fabulous piste that one.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
theres no wat that that piste is 14km long though, even taking into account the flat bit back to mottarett. I wouldn't bother doing the bit back to meribel as it is a very long pole push back to mottarett
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is 14km - you can get a long way on skis when gravity is your friend (try walking back the other way wink ). Have a look at Google Earth wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy