Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good Ski Related Blogs

Poster: A snowHead
By chance I ventured accross this thread in Bend Ze Knees. Being bored I clicked on a link by rob@rar linking to his blog page on his first weeks instruction with a group of adolescent girls Shocked

A wonderful read, giving a personal insight into what happened. He finishes his post on here with "Probably only of interest to those who are thinking about their first teaching experiences, but here it is in any case" Puzzled Puzzled Having read it I am sure it would be of interest to every snowhead.....also I would have paid good money to see Rob mashed on mojitos Laughing

Any more good ski blogs out there?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, yay!! love Rob's blog, good reading and great pics. Look forward to reading his new stuff. I googled ski blogs the other day to see if any came up - not really, but then Rob's didn't either, so I guess there are some out there but you have to know about them. If you find any good ones please let me know snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, glad you enjoyed it Smile My 'mohitos incident' was not a pretty sight, although other people seemed to find it entertaining...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, I can just imagine; half naked, flaming red hair, standing on the bar singing/screaming "land of my fathers". Must say I am surprised at your lack of professionalism, still having a lesson the next day wink .

RachelQ, There were 2 purposes to this thread: to highlight Rob's great account of his wqeek, and to find out about other blogs out there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rob@rar, I can just imagine; half naked, flaming red hair, standing on the bar singing/screaming "land of my fathers".

LMAO! I think you must be getting me confused with someone else Wink I just get a bit giggly and have to hug the wall for fear of falling over. Although I am pleased I had someone to guide me home. I'd still be lost without that...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is my favourite for snow conditions:

http://www.alpineexperience.com/news.html
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, Great read, there must be great satisfaction from seeing the smiling faces and improvement throughout the week. Great Blog and Pic's. Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bit of feedback on the blog rob, the images down't work in my blog reader and neither does the address at the bottom. nice to read though
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, Reminds me of my first week skiing as a 12 year old in Cormayeur with Interski. It was New Year, sheet ice and my friend broke her ankle at the end of the first day. I hated every minute of the first 5 days. On day 6 there were only 3 of us left and it was the most fantastic day where everything came together. If it hadn't been for that last day I would never have gone skiing again. 24 years later.......
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Liam, yes, there is immense satisfaction at seeing people enjoy their skiing, whether they be beginners or more experienced.

nbt, what blog reader do you use? I only ever look at it via a web browser.

Skimummy, for most of my group Day 4 was the breakthrough day, although they were a bit luckier with snow conditions than you were.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great blog from Rob. I really enjoyed reading it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, great read, though you obviously need to pick up some more experience at the apres end of the business wink If I could use a skiing analogy "If you don't fall over, you're not trying hard enough" Laughing Now if you'd like a personal trainer...... Toofy Grin

Have to say, I'm rather envious snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, I use the built in reader in Opera. Rather than your mac.com address, the addresses are set to lesarcsapartment.com which resolves to a holding page at 123reg.co.uk, that's probably the root cause
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, as everyone says, great blog! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Glad people have enjoyed it. I really write it for my Mum and my girlfriend to keep up with what I'm doing when skiing, but it's nice that others find it a bit interesting.

nbt, thanks for the info about the routing issues. I'll look in to that to try and fix it (I registered a URL for it, and made a half-hearted attempt to redirect the URL to the pages at mac.com, but obviously I screwed that up Embarassed )
snow conditions
rob@rar, Really enjoyed reading it and trying to work out where the photos were taken, great blog. snowHead When is your next installment to be expected?
ski holidays
ickabodblue wrote:
When is your next installment to be expected?

Back in Les Arcs in 9 days.
latest report
I wrote a blog about ski training in October from Saas Fee last year - bit out of date by now, but it can still be viewed at http://benclatworthy.wordpress.com/

Ben
snow report
rob, it was interesting to read your blog, reflecting on my own experiences of teaching beginners.

Do you reckon there's anything to be said for reducing beginners' ski lengths to blade-length for the early lessons, to reduce leverage on knees? I imagine that Ski Evolutif* is finished in Les Arcs (is it?), and I did a bit of experimentation with it 30 years ago - which I thought was worthwhile. It's terrible to see a pupil go down with their leg being visibly wrenched at the knee.

----------
* For those unfamiliar with the phrase, it was a method of starting skiers on skis of about 1 metre and working upwards, pioneered in Les Arcs, but also developed in the States as 'Graduated Length Method'.
latest report
ise is worth a look - interesting stuff and good photography.
snow report
David Goldsmith, an interesting question. Ski Evolutif is no longer taught in Les Arcs from what I see. I think the danger of starting on short skis is that it becomes much easier to "cheat" the proper development of steering skills because it is easier to fling the blades sideways in an approximation of a turn. I see that all the time with people on blades around the mountain, and I'd be reluctant to get into a teaching situation where the client found it easy to turn by using bad technique and the instructor was constantly battling with them to develop good technique. I'd rather see much lower DIN settings than shorter skis.
latest report
rob@rar, my younger son learned to ski with ski evolutif - and with good instruction it was very successful - he was skiing a decent red by the end of a week. I was impressed. I though the problem was for the ski rental shops having sufficient stock of various length skis which were very frequently changed?

Drifting OT here. Embarassed
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
I though the problem was for the ski rental shops having sufficient stock of various length skis which were very frequently changed?

Yes, I think that's one of the problems.
latest report
rob@rar, OK. I enjoyed reading your blog too - interesting to see you going live. I was a bit surprised that the girls who twisted their knees were back skiing again so soon. Good luck with your future effort.
snow report
achilles, neither were that badly hurt, even though they made a big noise about it. It's a difficult situation, especially with kids: you don't want to encourage them to get up and get on with things only to see their leg flapping about in the wind. But equally you don't want to make too much of a mountain out of a molehill and call in a helicopter every time someone pulls a muscle. It's a question of getting the balance right, although I'd rather err on the side of caution especially on my first day of teaching!
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
I'd be reluctant to get into a teaching situation where the client found it easy to turn by using bad technique and the instructor was constantly battling with them to develop good technique.
That is one of the reasons I decided against giving my two weakest skiers shorter skis after day two. We just worked a bit harder with them and slowly they developed (not ideal, as the rest of the group were eager to give something else a go).

Nice blog by the way, good to get a low-down of your week in Pila as there wasn't much chance to talk on the ferry (spent most of the time talking about fires...)
snow report
On the subject of blogs, James Cove (also a recent BASI, and BBC News professional) is working the season in Verbier as an instructor, where he's blogging and writing this site:

www.planetski.eu/blogs

www.planetski.eu
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy