Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski-Way Code

Poster: A snowHead
Had a very similar crash in Val d'Isere last season. Great day, piste in great nick, so was working on some tight carving (on a board). Someone came straight through me from behind, completely took me out. Picked ourselves up and he says "Sorry mate, but I think that one would be a 50/50, eh? I mean, you were turning."

Seriously.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevomcd, Shocked Some of the people you meet out on the slopes really do beggar belief. "You were turning" ... "Well, yes as a matter of fact, I find it a good way to control speed, it is far more effective than the occassional breaking wedge and provided more control than careering straight down the slope"...

I feel for you.

I sometimes wonder if most of the idiots are people who decided that they were perfectly capable of teaching themselves, or had a friend who thought they were completely capable of teaching them, neither of which usually take into account the bigger picture of learning about how to behave in an alpine environment.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

"Sorry mate, but I think that one would be a 50/50, eh? I mean, you were turning."

now that is some quality ignorance!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skisimon, JulesB has remarked in another thread that the skier suspected of hitting him, was clearly not a regular skier. He had old style skis and boots, possibly borrowed, you see them oftem at New Year, out of control,with no idea of how to ski, trying to follow more experienced friends and well-meaning partners down the slopes, when clearly, they should still be on the nursery slope learning to plough with an instructor.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I once got pulled by Mtn safety at Mammoth for speeding on a snowboard.

I wouldn't have minded but:

1) The piste was empty as it was late afternoon on a minor run
2) It was my first run on a snowboard for the season and I was taking it pretty easy while I found my feet
3) I had been skiing the rest of the day far faster
4) I had slowed at the slow sign by chucking a couple of turns in.

Some profiling going on? wink

I did appraise the bigot of these facts. NB this is not a boast I enuinely wasn't going that fast.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I blame people who turn, if we stopped this nonsense there would be far fewer collisions.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I cannot honestly remember ever being taught the code despite having lessons, though I have certainly seen them on piste maps and around resorts.

My bugbear is when you are on a track and get MENTALISTS who want to go full tilt down the slope and you get that lovely click of skipoles touching... Evil or Very Mad
But have also been behind Ma,Pa and young teen [Brits] some years ago on a blue run somewhere in France in crappy conditions who were having so much 'fun' skiiing down a rather wide piste, zig-zagging slalom style side to side across the piste and round the blue canes at the side...we just couldn't get past them... rolling eyes We ended up we waited till they'd got way ahead as it just wasn't worth the hassle.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now that I am back on my board for a while Toofy Grin I am going to carry out a totally un-scientific study based on ME rolling eyes of what it is like to be on pistes on my snowboard again. Might sound strange but those that know me Very Happy will understand. I do not normally ever go on pistes on my board unless I have to. Far to dangerous. Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
awesome thread, I should have known a skier would never ever be at fault. Stupid me. Anyway, I wasnt there and dont know for sure what happened, like I said, it was slander Smile
Where I live the pistes are fairly narrow so its normal for monkeys to be using up every single cm of the width in their high speed big turns. There are a fair few flat sections as well so if you are gunning it straight it does make it hard to get through, I normally fire off a warning shot with one of the edges, if that fails the cloud burst comes out. Lucky I disguise myself as a 13 year old park rat when I go up, the majority of people come through my work Smile

I dont have a blind spot by the way as switch or normal makes no difference, if I dont like the look of a crossing I cross it facing up. Besides that not much overtakes me these days. Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stab wrote:
There are a fair few flat sections as well so if you are gunning it straight it does make it hard to get through,

As well as being fairly narrow and flat, are they exclusively reserved for you to travel at whatever speed you like regardless of who else is on the slope?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
stab wrote:
There are a fair few flat sections as well so if you are gunning it straight it does make it hard to get through,

As well as being fairly narrow and flat, are they exclusively reserved for you to travel at whatever speed you like regardless of who else is on the slope?

they are if it means I dont have to unclip my board and skate.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stab wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
stab wrote:

they are if it means I dont have to unclip my board and skate.

That must be the part of the FIS code that I missed...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is excessive speed coupled with inexperience and reckless behaviour that is the problem, not the type of planks you have on the end of your boots. We should respect other mountain users regardless of their preferences.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
It is excessive speed coupled with inexperience and reckless behaviour that is the problem, not the type of planks you have on the end of your boots. We should respect other mountain users regardless of their preferences.

Exactly right.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, there's an FIS code? wink

Quote:

We should respect other mountain users regardless of their preferences.

even snowbladers?
snow report
stab wrote:
Quote:

even snowbladers?

Well, there are limits...
ski holidays
rob@rar, phew, thought I'd lost you there mate.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
stab wrote:
Quote:

even snowbladers?

Well, there are limits...

Laughing
snow conditions
Laughing
ski holidays
stab wrote:
rob@rar, there's an FIS code? wink

Quote:

even snowbladers?
Whoa, let's not go too far. Laughing

Unfortunately (for the uphill user) it is the downhill user's perogative as to what they do, and the uphill user's responsibility to avoid them (however annoying it might be - and I've been sat there p!ssed off just as everyone else has by the snowploughing novice skiing side to side down a narrow cat track).

This is why I ski very (very) differently when I've got an empty piste in front of me compared to when there are other users ahead of me.

Having trained, learned and spent ages practicing and testing the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea I am a bit of a stickler on rules regarding how multiple moving objects interact in a given space.
snow conditions
stab wrote:
awesome thread, I should have known a skier would never ever be at fault. Stupid me.

If you believe that, then not only stupid, but pig-ignorant with it.

the responses to your post had NOTHING to do with skier/boarder, but were entirely about the uphill (overtaking) slider not being in sufficient control to be able to avoid somebody f they didn't do what was expected while out of sight.

Quote:

Anyway, I wasnt there and dont know for sure what happened, like I said, it was slander Smile

You posted it as if you were there. But it is irrelevant. Resonses were made to what you described occurring.

Quote:

Where I live the pistes are fairly narrow so its normal for monkeys to be using up every single cm of the width in their high speed big turns.

If the pistes are narrow, and there are other people on them, then they probably shouldn't be doing "high speed big turns" in the first place.

Which of course doesn't help those who have to avoid them Sad
snow report
stab wrote:
lights touch paper and runs.

aSnowboarder is technically in the wrong even though the boarder did nothing wrong.

I base this slander on the fact you were carving on GS skis and the past experience of having it happen to me (only once though, wont happen again Twisted Evil )

Excellent fire starting skills, but I beg to differ. Let's put a little magnesium on this conflagration.

The snowboarder did a number of things WRONG. First, he did not understand the code (is this because he is uneducated, didn't take lessons or just has limited mental capacity? I don't know, but it is a perfect example of the original poster's gripe.). Clearly you are responsible for not hitting skiers below you on the piste - no mater what crazy moves they make. That's pretty cut and dried. Secondly, he knew full well there was a skier making turns across the the path below him and did not adjust his speed or course to avoid said skier. Thirdly he was traveling blind, much like over driving one's headlights at night. Lastly he is sliding down the slope on one plank that forces him to have a blind side, and only one edge to use should something untoward happen. Clearly the snowboarder is just WRONG.
snow conditions
Shall we all proposition the Oxford English Dictionary to redefine some of their definitions. For Example...

Snowboarding: a wrong action attributable to bad judgment, ignorance and/or inattention.

This would certainly be of help in occasions of litigation against said offenders Twisted Evil
latest report
Getting hot in here now!...

So I board and I ski... mainly board on fresh pow, on and off piste.
I love doing big GS styled skiing. It is so quick and I get a massive buzz from carving accross the piste at a healthy speed.

One thing I do though (even though I don't have to) is always look up the piste as I am crossing it. If there is another punter anywhere I bail out and change my trajectory.

Not everyone can calculate the trajectory of a decent GS carve (especially when using the right skis) as it is so fast yet so wide...

I do go with the code on the uphill rules.... but it never, ever stops me from looking up the mountain when using the full width of the piste at speed.
latest report
flangesax, excellent, just wish more people were like you.
ski holidays
I am going to print out 'the rules' for my guest house... i think a copy of the 10 basic rules will be handy and I think I will also print the comment books out as well...

This is quite an interesting and potentially ambiguous point:

"The development of carving skis and snowboards allows their users to carve and turn
upwards on the slopes. Hence they move opposite to the general downhill traffic. They
must, therefore, make sure in time that they can do so without endangering themselves
and others."

http://www.fis-ski.com/data/document/rules-for-safety-10-fis-rules2002.pdf
snow report
http://www.serre-chevalier.com/the-caution-patrollers . More information on the 'pisteurs prudent' mentioned in the letter I received from the Serre Chevalier management
latest report
skiers code? never heard of it.

im not mocking honestly - there is an actual written code??? where can i see this?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stuntman Mike wrote:
skiers code? never heard of it.

im not mocking honestly - there is an actual written code??? where can i see this?

durrr. one post up - is that the fella in the link?
latest report
Stuntman Mike, don't know what fella you're referring to, but the link to look at is the one in flangesax' post.
snow conditions
Back to the original question, yes I teach it. I teach tinies at an artificial slope in the UK and we do club tests with them. Their first test includes knowing 2 points, the next 5 and next level needs all 9 (the uk version has accident and identification as a single point). We read every point of the poster, give each child a poster to take home and test regularly. Being pre-school age isn't a reason not to learn, the only child exempt at this stage has learned to ski, but doesn't talk yet. When he's 2 we can start with him I guess, but at present he always has a parent in very close proximity.

My view is that children need to know the rules to be safe. We teach them in a small environment, when they get out on the snow they need to have the mountain skills to go with their ski skills and the ski way code is part of this. We act out some of the points, with staged accidents, skiing in pretend low visibility, above all reminding them every time they start off from mid point of the slope to look above them.

I think I need to teach hubby next. He took out my son, leaving him face down crying in the snow. When we caught up with him his response was 'I didn't know it was Sam' rolling eyes
snow report
To find the code try a search 'FIS Ski Way code'. Here's the first site it returned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/sports/snowsports/features/ski_safety_02.shtml
snow report
Interesting that the BBC suggest that these are binding by law.
snow conditions
Jane L,
Quote:

I think I need to teach hubby next. He took out my son, leaving him face down crying in the snow. When we caught up with him his response was 'I didn't know it was Sam'

Shocked Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Interesting that the BBC suggest that these are binding by law.
ski holidays
Jane L,
Quote:

I think I need to teach hubby next. He took out my son, leaving him face down crying in the snow. When we caught up with him his response was 'I didn't know it was Sam'

Shocked Laughing Laughing
latest report
I'm getting a sense of deja vu here Toofy Grin

There was one really scary bit skiing last week round Scheffau - going down a home narrow 'road' piste and there were so many kids just flying past on what was anyway quite a busy run. The type that are mostly sat on their bindings and really can't have any control. One of the few times I was really scared....
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
I was amazed last week by the number of people who don't realise that you should stop at the side of the piste.

What competent skiers forget is how difficult it is, as a complete novice, to stop anywhere specific, let alone the side of the piste. Worse still, stopping at the side of the piste means you are facing into the off piste... and have no way of turning back onto the piste.

I've never, BTW, had an instructor who has stopped anywhere other than in the middle of the piste.
ski holidays
James the Last, You're supposed to turn as you stop, so that you end up at the edge but facing back into the piste.

I can't recall ever seeing an instructor with a group stopped anyhwere other than reasonably close to the edge of a piste, although it has probably happened occasionally and I just haven't noticed.
snow conditions
alex_heney,
Quote:

James the Last, You're supposed to turn as you stop, so that you end up at the edge but facing back into the piste.

But why is it when you correctly do this there is always at least one idiot who feels the needs the need to blast flat out through the two foot gap between the group of stopped skiers and the edge of the piste?

I have noticed this a lot - some skiers seem determined to ski fast right at the very edge of the piste.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy