Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Forecast Thread

brian
brian
Chris Bish, lots of variation between model runs is making it a bit confusing for the meteorological numpty like me ! However, does look like more snow coming to the Alps on Thursday night/Friday, followed by a cold N'erly airstream. Potential for good snowfall on Sunday as well !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone got a six day forecast for La Tania?

Thanks in advance,

kartman
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kartman, Snow til monday with some rain in resort on thurs and friday. basically
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks good in Val Thorens. MeteoFrance have changed their forecast to snow the next two days and the snow line has also been lowered.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bobhund, Welcome to snowHeads. I'm a bit woried that you've debuted on the obsessives thread! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Bish, I'm already obsessed so it's too late Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kartman, snow guess predicts light snow every day for the next 5 days with a total snowfall over that time of 43 cm however they usually over estimate the snowfall so it may well be closer to 20cm.

On the other hand I'm off to Wengen in 10 days time where snowguess predicts a total of 155cm of snow over the next 5 days, I'll be happy enough with 1/3rd of that Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf, maybe I'll find a last minute deal to Wengen! Do you think 20cm will be enough to improve conditions Significantly?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kartman, spread over 5 days I'm sorry to say I doubt it will make much difference, not having been there I cannot really comment however if you only get a few cm each day the skiers will just sweep it off the piste, so the best skiing in La Tania may be at the sides of the piste, however they did get 15cm last night which has probably helped a lot
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks for this guys. It's all helping me decide whether to go this Sunday or leave it for another week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowforecast.com are saying 90cm in 6 days for Ellmau in Austria I do hope this is true
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Russell, in general snowforecast seem to forecast roughly double the actual snowfall so if they say 90cm it would be more reasonable to expect something like 45cm
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just spoke to a Friend (17:50) staying in La Plagne who reports 30cm of fresh white stuff. He says it has improved runs no end and allowed many runs, that were closed, to be re-opened. In his words "before the new snow the skiing was crap". Lets hope it continues.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowforecast. com has nearly 20cm as coming to La Rosiere on Saturday, and 2cm for sunday night. Meteo.fr has none for Saturday and a double snowflake for Sunday. Surely someone inept. Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty, still snowing in La Rosiere, this AM. Meteo France forecast is sunny tomorrow, more snow sunday and Monday but getting colder, sounds good.
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
David@traxvax, Just had a strange flash through my mind. I am William J Le Pettemain, the Governor out of Blazing Saddles, Im in the bath and get very panicky when i cant find my frog (remember the scene), and then someone on the ground in La Rosiere tells me its still snowing and more to come. Suddenly all becomes calm and I lie in the bath gently stroking the report print off, muttering sweet nothings to the report........

Should I seek help?
latest report
Frosty, definitely. Especially if you expect to see a black sherriff in village.
ski holidays
David@traxvax, Well you did say La Rosiere was unique!
latest report
 brian
brian
If you're off to the Alps next week, don't forget your thermals !

High pressure hangs about to the West of the UK from tomorrow for at least a few days, plunging a N to NE'rly airstream down across the Alps. There'll be snow in there, moisture picked up off the North sea and probably the odd active trough but amounts and timings are difficult to predict until nearer the time.

One thing's for sure, it'll be damn chilly ! snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
brian, good stuff, I'll need something to cool me down! Off to La Tania on Sunday, rain there currently turning to snow as the cold air moves in I hope.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
For next week:

Looks like a continuation of cold and dry conditions through until Monday. Another dump on the way for the Alps on Tuesday as a cold front approaches from the North.

... and I'm off to Zermatt on Sunday, 2 sleeps to go !!!!!
latest report
Skanky, where are you? I'm starting to think it's time to worry about it warming up a bit. snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Bish wrote:
Skanky, where are you? I'm starting to think it's time to worry about it warming up a bit. snowHead

now? You've got to be joking. It's -15 right now outside and the forecast says it's not going to get a lot warmer for next week. It's so cold skiing it makes your face hurt.
snow report
ise, my face is just recovering from last week. Had so many layers on it was hard to zip up my jacket.
snow conditions
Thats why I want it to warm up a bit! I'm not used to skiing in the cold.
ski holidays
Balaclavas are the answer. My face was toasty warm all last week. snowHead

Not had a chance for a weather look yet.
snow report
Friend was in Lake Louise 2 weeks ago, down to -41. They wouldn't run the lifts below -30
snow conditions
Quick look at the UKMO FAX charts suggests more snow this week for most of the Alps. Ridging high pressure should then see clearer conditions (always the chance of showers though). Possibly not as cold as last week (not polar cold), but still pretty cold - especially at night. As the week goes on it'll get colder again. Next weekend (late Sat/Sun) we're looking at more snow, again. Haven't had a chance to look at anything else, and probably won't for a few days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When you're about to go skiing it's exciting to follow skanky's weather forecasts. When you're not heading for the slopes for another couple of months it's absolute torture!
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, imagine what it's like for me...I hope my lack of enthusiasm doesn't affect my "accuracy" Confused
snow report
UKMO FAX now less enthusiastic about the cold front moving through the region this weekend and has considerably weakened what's going through now. Lots of battling between the level of high pressure over central Europe. Looking like maybe some snow over parts of the Alps (mainly north & eastern) over the next 48 hours then clear with the chance of showers over the weekend. Cold until the weekend, but might warm slightly over the Saturday (though if the skies are clear it'll be cold at night). A quick look at the other FAX & models (no time for detailed look) and I'd say that Sat night onwards is open to change as there's some disagreement between them all.
latest report
It really dumped down in Flaine yesterday, around 25 cms between 5am and early evening. Less in les Arcs, about 12 cms. Meteo France has full sun until Saturday, with maybe a little more light snowfall this afternoon. A bit of a hairy trip back from Flaine down to the valley late last night, a few cars off the road at the hairpins.
snow report
PG, yeah yesterday's was my "more snow this week" from Mon. I expect some stuff to move down through Switzerland & Austria over the next day, but France looks to mainly miss out (the Alpine region, anyway).
snow conditions
Guys. Going to Courchevel on the 13th, what are the chances of new snow before then and if none what will the coditions be like. Cheers
latest report
Well both JMA & GFS are suggesting more snow from the middle of next week onwards (GFS is showing a lot for the southern French Alps from a low pressure off the south coast of France). That is however rather too far ahead to treat with any certainty. They do both seem to agree that a (heafty?) front will push through the high pressure over Europe from Wed onwards. NOGAPS suggests a weak front moving through earlier than that but this seems to be contradicted by ECMWF. The agreement between the models for early next week is not strong enough to take any longer range stuff with any confidence, yet. One extra point is that the Met O monthly forecast for the UK suggests that they think the LP bringing northerly air down will come off, which backs what GFS is saying - so their unreleased model output may be in broad agreement. Anyway, if they are right it'll be a bit chilly.

FWIW GFS is expecting the stuff to move away from the French Alps by Tuesday of the week you're there.

Expect the outlook to change though.
latest report
skanky,
Quote:
[caveat:] Expect the outlook to change though.
That should be your sig!!
latest report
PG, Laughing
ski holidays
Now I'm worried there will be too much! rolling eyes
Thanks for the info.
snow conditions
Matthew Way, I'll try and get an update in before and after the weekend. Though I'll probably get it wrong.
latest report
I find snow forecast .com to be reasonably reliable.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy