Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Forecast Thread

Poster: A snowHead
dio5, oh dear Laughing

its quite good too, you must have been stressed enough to do a good job of it! Cool

skanky, hope that mini LP south of the alps thats there for next week (latest GFS) goes away...that would make it a bit too unsettled for my liking Razz (yes/no...eek, im out of my depth!) Very Happy wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skanky, Shocked I actually posted that without reading your forcasts.

I is a psychic weatherman rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marc gledhill, cool. Can you PM me your forecasts, so I can dress them up and post them up here as mine? snowHead

tomski01, you want to be careful what you wish for as it's not there now in the latest run - 12z (you're looking at the 06z still, I think). Instead it (or another one) moves ENE and keeps the entire region in a northerly airstream which would be great - but that was a big change from one run to the next. ECMWF suggests a bigger agreement with the newer scenario though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
so that backs up snow-forecast and is good news on it getting colder then Skanky????
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gregh, yeah it's looking good at the moment (after Wednesday/Thursday that is). It'll likely change though - we'll have to see how much and in which direction.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tomski: here' s what my friend told me:

As I said before, he had two days of snowing which brought about 15cm's of fresh per night... that is at about 2200m & higher...
there was still snowcoverage till about 1800m, where they helped it also with artificial snow...At 1600m there was almost no snow left...
On the upper slopes conditions were great , but a bit icy, and the lower you got , the more slushy it was , especially in the afternoon...
so snow enough but in typical spring conditions...he also told me that the pistes in the nearby Les ARcs were much nicer...

cheers

dio5
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just heard the BBc forecast. "Winter's coming back" and "Icy blast" were two phrases used. Skanky's dream scenario of igh in the Atlantic and low over the mainland seem to be on their way. Looks good to me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Bish, and for Blighty, too. This weekend may well be good for a last hurrah in Scotland (going by yesterday's charts). Incidentally, that set-up may not the dream scenario...NE flow may be better in winter as Siberia gets very cold, but at this time of year, a straight northerly may be the best as the norhern hemisphere has started to warm up a little. The seas are at their coldest around March so a track down the north sea can be quite good, too, I'd guess.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dio5, well, sounds fairly good to me (all things considered!)...hopefully a top up will sort out them slushy/icy bits wink

We are prob only getting La Plagne passes, think my dad is getting a bit worried, so we will probably be cruising some blues anyways for most of week (im not moaning, he is paying!)...plus i could do with the time to sort out my technique, might even invest in a lesson! Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snow-forecast have backed off the snow at the weekend, and also backed off the drastic drop in temps Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gregh, Sad

well, meteo.fr seem to have upped the snow and dropped the temps, who knows, forecasts seem to change hour by hour!!....so long as it doesnt rain rain rain solidly up to 4000m ill not be moaning! snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
great I believe meteo.fr Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gregh, i guess the crucial thing is that there is more snow falling through fri/sat than is removed during the warmer rainy time on thursday pm??

I like meteo.fr too, but they reckon itll be warmer on thurs than i would like, but 800m F/L by sat Very Happy ....but that will probably be different by 6pm today.....i am hoping that we will know one way or the other whats most likely to happen this weekend by tommorow morning!!! Shocked Shocked

argh, grrr, rolling eyes Very Happy Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Shock snowHead

its an emotional rollercoaster, not sure if i can cope with the anxiety of skiing in April next time!! (although my wallet likes it!) Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the snow-forecast update is from midnight, their 6am update hasn't turned up yet!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can't see why snowforecast downgraded it anyway. Even the 00z runs kept the same set-up. Going as far as Saturday ECMWF, GFS & UKMO are bringing the northerlies and colder air in. All three have reintroduced the LP to the south of the Alps. The colder air is slightly delayed to Friday (rather than overnight Thurs/Fri), though it should reach most of the French areas at that time (it's east of the Italian border that may get a delay). Saturday GFS is bringing some -10 850hpa air in (that's -10 at 1500m). I wouldn't be surprised if that was changed upwards - but with that small LP down there it and FAX charts backing it up, it's entirely possible. Actual positions of the cold plume and snowfall are details not to be relied upon at this range, but it's looking very good for this weekend, at the moment.
snow report
6am forecast now seems better, no snow to speak of in Courcheval (2cm) but strong northerly winds and dropping temps!
snow conditions
skanky, your wise words are always music to my ears!! Very Happy

although if the cold air is dealyed, does that posisble mean more rain on thurs before it gets cooler? that wouldnt be so great i guess! Confused
snow conditions
tomski01, well it'll mean a height difference. The thing is the chart marks the 0C isotherm with a think black line and puts yellow (warmer) on one side and green (cooler) on the other. Therefore it can look more definitive than it actually is - it could make very little difference. The main thing that affects the rain/snow is dewpoints (taupunkt on wetterzentrale) which are below 0 from early morning onwards. The dewpoint is the temperature that the rain/snow will be at and it can also be the temperature that it will bring the air temperature down to. This means that as it starts to rain, the temperature will start to fall and the snowline should move down the hill (unless other factors come into play), as far as a level determined by the dewpoints. Most rain starts off as snow and melts on the way down to appear as rain to us, what affects that is the dry and wet bulb air temp at the level we're at and indirectly what's affected those temps to make them what they are....but I'm rambling now.
snow report
tomski01, another lurch upwards for your rollercoaster ride - meteo.fr's new (12:37 BST on Tuesday) forecast has no rain for Thursday PM now still a double snowflake for Friday morning with snow line down to 1500m, single snowflake for Friday pm with snow line at 1300m and still a double for Sat morning with snow line at 800m of course it will have changed by the time you read this!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Tomski01,
Meteo.fr has changed it is now double snowflake friday am snow line down to 1800 pm single snowflake snow line down to 1900.
saturday is double snowflake snow line down to 800. am also going to La Plagne on sunday. have already been this year and do reconmend getting the Les Arcs Lift pass it works out at about 25 euros for one day over there and if the snow is crappy in la plagne it is normally better in les arcs.
snow report
Bungle, yipee...sure is a wild ride!! snowHead

benpudney, if ya going back must be ok?! (ive never been to la Plagne), may well do the one day extension if conditions deteriorate....to be honest the only skiing ive done this year is a couple of days at cairngorm (which was actually not bad at all, windy and zero vis, but still fun!), so ill prob be happy as larry anyway just scooting around la Plagne...itll just be good to get the skis on again!!

either that or may try to blag the paradiski upgrade (we got a deal (accom + pass) through the website earlier this year....you never know, im hoping they might ask us what type of lift pass we requested, and i know what my answer would be if they do wink)

either way, 4 days and counting, i really need some mountain air, got crazy cabin fever here! Very Happy
ski holidays
it was gd. went in a big group of 28 in march so going back with 2 mates on sunday. it should be good. even better if it gets the predicted snow over thur/fri/sat. waiting for skanky's report on the weather. well looking forward to it. whoopee
snow report
Everywhere is saying it's guna get much colder with snow at the weekend-so anyone going out around that time should get some fantastic late season skiing. I've just arrived back from Obergurgl where it was quite warm all week with a bit of snow but conditions were still good above around 2500m. In the afternoons it became slushy below this, but all runs were still just about covered.
snow report
how frustrating: Just recieved a Phone call from Ski Olympic the company im going skiing with to La Plagne to say they are moving resorts for us. to courchevel. this is with the prediction of snow this weekend in la plagne as well.
snow conditions
How come they are moving you from La Plagne to Courchevel? Are the conditions meant to be better in Courchevel??
snow conditions
benpudney, weird...maybe they want to save money and want to have economies of scale by putting all their customers in one resort in what is likely a quiet week....least i hope thats the reason...seems a little strange tho!

well, the skiing in courcheval is very good from memory, although lower in altitude, which might not matter if it snows....lots of very trendy people there tho, their website goes on more about clothes, shops etc than it does about the skiing!!
snowHead

Looking at their website tho, they seem to have nearly all pistes open too...im sure youll have a great time! snowHead
ski holidays
oh my god , latest meteo.fr forecasts are really heavy! wooohoooo!
snow report
benpudney, I think you just got lucky! Courchevel is a great place to ski. Even better than Les Arcs which is better than La Plagne! Plenty of good skiing high up and snow sure until May at Val T, which is easy to get to via Mottaret. 3V is the best, and you'll have much the same weather. As the crow flies they are not very far apart. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish, not that much better i hope wink

(only kiddin Madeye-Smiley )
ski holidays
yeah i know courchevel well skied there last year. it is a fantastic resort. was going to la plagne to see staff that worked in the chalet i was staying in, in march. heard that the reason they really moved us wasn't because of the snow it was because they only had 9 people booked into a 48 person chalet. so fair enough and skiing in courchevel is fantastic so no worries
ski holidays
Quote:
heard that the reason they really moved us wasn't because of the snow

benpudney, thats a relief to us all...have a wicked time in Courchevel!! snowHead

Quote:
latest meteo.fr forecasts are really heavy! wooohoooo!

snowHead snowHead snowHead

the next 3 days are gonna be the longest ever i sense!!
snow report
[quote="tomski01"]
Quote:
the next 3 days are gonna be the longest ever i sense!!

you bet they will be snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
well, looking at the sites this am seem to show some rain to about 2400ish tommorow then descending into general snowiness snowHead for the next few days and into early next week (but they dont seem to want to agree on when, how much and how cold...although looking bloomin cold for sunday/monday rolling eyes) , as such im gearing myself up mentally for it to be a bit knarly (but snowy!) for first few days, then hopefully calm down a bit for rest of week....thatll do! snowHead

extra thermals being packed now, and also extra sun block...who knows! wink

(bloomin weather rollercoaster, i wanna get off now!)
snow report
meteo.fr gives at this moment even a snow line at 0 m !!!!!!!!!!! for saturday morning!!!!! snow throughout the whole weekend starting from friday...!!!
but freezing cold! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
dio5, i say it again WOWSER!!

hope there isnt too much snow..... wink

dont like the way LP keep gradually shutting runs grrr, hope they open them all again with the fresh snow...paranoia!!
snow report
I guess it wont be a problem now!
snow conditions
You might find winds to be a bigger problem this weekend. There could be some strong northerlies during the day on Saturday and possibly again Monday night.
snow report
Problem might be high avalanche risk if there is a dump. But you should be OK for blues cruising around Belle Plagne, tomski01 and you're well placed if you do decide to ride the Vanoise Express over to Les Arcs for a day or two. Only one lift (Arpette) from Bellecote then downhill all the way to the Vanoise (not so simple coming back Sad ). Hope condtions are good for all you guys.
snow report
kuwait_ian, cheers, feel better you saying that...!

I also had a look and they seem to have most of the lifts running (apart from a few of the smaller drags at low altitude and ones which duplicate others)....so figure that there is no other reason why they have runs closed apart from lack of snow on them...and hopefully not a sinister plot to shut down all the lifts by next week! Shocked Very Happy

I am tempted to take a day in les Arcs, Dad reckons he will prob want to have a break one day and maybe go for a walk in the valley somewhere, so i may take that as an opportunity to explore! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
dio5, latest runs are positive, looks like it may be coming up Milhouse!! Very Happy

skanky, well, for me the first days skiing is sunday, so maybe itll have calmed down a little then....if its still windy guess itll be like skiing in scotland on a good day! wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy