Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss ski team doctor demands an end to "crowd pleasing" final DH jumps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Urs Lehmann, president of Swiss Ski, has demanded* the abolition of "crowd pleasing" final jumps on downhill race courses, following the near-fatal crash of Daniel Albrecht in training for this weekend's Hahnenkamm in Kitzbuhel.

Swiss research has also identified the causes of four serious downhill crashes in recent years.

This report from SwissInfo.

Should the International Ski Federation make this change?

-------
* Correction below

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 24-01-09 17:31; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I was in Wengem last September they were carring out major eartworks to reduce the junp into the finish area of the Downhill. Last week watching the race the skiers hardly left the ground and seem to have much better control to the finsh line
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
* Correction. Hans Spring, head doctor for the Swiss men's team, demanded the change, not Urs Lehmann:

Quote:
For one thing, Spring says courses should not have a final crowd-pleasing jump right before the finish. Racers are mentally and physically exhausted by that point, and hurling them for 50 metres through the air is much too dangerous.

Lehmann said:

Quote:
"We are at the point where some fundamental thinking needs to be done. It can't be that an athlete at the start of a season has a 50-50 chance of making it to spring without injury."

[Both those quotes from the SwissInfo report linked above]
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They've mucked about with the finish jump before. I seem to remember (maybe 15'ish years ago) they built an artificial 'lip' on it, complete with sponsors banner under the take-off side.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Really don't know the answer to this one. Downhill racing is claerly dangerous, coping with that is part of the skill we appreciate. OTOH, 2 major accidents in successive years on the same spot suggests to me something is wrong.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy