Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teachers. Spawn of the devil (school ski trips)

Poster: A snowHead
I think the issue is that you never know what may crop up. I know one teacher who for two years on the trot, only managed 1 days skiing, as she was doing the hospital runs/babysitting kids too ill to leave the hotel etc. She didn't even get the snow time to compensate. Another time, another place then you may get an incident free week with loads of fresh powder. (I was on my 6th trip before we got one where there were no medical emergencies!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The original post (by myself) was just a bit of a tongue and cheek pop at the people on another post who couldn't believe teachers got the trip for free! I was merely pointing out that you do work for your free place when away on the trip. And of course we enjoy getting on the snow for a week! Thats one of the main reasons we go!!!!! (although as trip organiser i often spend large periods of time off it but only when there is an accident which thankfully is rare)

To put to bed the myth that kids simply come home one day and say can i have 700, 800 1500 quid for a trip can i add that. When a pupil enters our school at year 7 they are given a list of the different trips abroad the school offers and what year they can go in. We do not take any kid on the trip until year 9 so parents have nearly three years to save for it. Every year we take 110 kids or so just from year 9 so we must be doing something right (albeit we are one of the more affluent schools in the area). But i make every effort to make the trip as cheap as possible and, for February half term, i believe our trip is pretty much cheaper than any other comparable half term trip.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
richmond, I think you assume the majority of kids go on to become students or go on to work in jobs where they will be able to afford a ski trip. Sadly this isn't true in some inner city schools where only 5% or so will go on to University education and half of those could end up in a low paying job. Confused
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
garethjomo, I don't assume anything of the sort; I'm not an ignorant fool. If someone wants to go skiing they will be able to do so even in a low paying job. If they choose to do other things , then oviously they won't. My point is that not going on a school trip is not a bar to skiing for any but a very few.

Good idea of your school to publish that list, BTW. We get the coming home with a request for several hundred quid thing, to say nothing of the sod it, I've signed up for trip x but I'd prefer to go on trip y, which I've only just been told about. My son's school has this year started to put up a list for the current year, but of course it gets added to as time goes on.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Garethjomo, you are not the one organising the Bishopston ski trips are you Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
richmond, we'll have to agree to differ as many people i know from the area i grew up in will never ever be able to afford skiing but that could be the 'very few' you are referring to so we could be agreeing.
rayscoops, are their trips extremely well organised offering excellent value for money then? Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
garethjomo, I would have no doubt that a Bishopston school ski trip would be well organised wink good value ? mmmm .... Blush

Interestingly, in additional to the mainstream sports, Bishopston offers skiing, surfing and golf and the near by Gowerton Comp likewise has its Easter ski trip; whereas in comparison the likes of Cefn Hengoed/Penyrheol/Sandfields make no mention of skiing but offers .... err... the mainstream sports. Daniel James does however have a ski club and I believe Pentrehafod also has trips if they can get enough kids who can afford it to make it pay for the 'free' participants. I have little doubt that the Bishopston/Gowerton kids will have another ski trip during their childhood, however it would not surprise me that for the Pentrehafod kids it may well be a trip of a life time.

I now understand that schools do not actually offer skiing trips as a part of the taught curriculum; it is more of an added holiday option outside of the school terms, so any child who shows an interest in wanting to go skiing can do so if their parents can afford it, more like a club under the umbrella of the school environment. There does however, as a generalisation, seem to be a close correlation between schools in good catchment areas offering skiing and schools in bad catchment areas not offering skiing, but as it is an ex-curriculum service it is better for some kids to have the trip than none at all. It is a shame however that perhaps the majority of all those teachers with a burning ambition to see the smiles on the faces of children as they do their first linked turn just happen to teach in certain schools and not in others. From a few anecdotal discussions, it is a hard job and 7am to midnight is the normal day for teachers on a school ski trip, but the people that I have talked to agree that it is the free trip that is the overriding factor in taking on the hassle of orgainisng and running a school ski trip.

So to all you teachers, stop moaning, get in to the real world, take the flack on the chin and enjoy your free trip skiing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rayscoops,

You are a Troll and I claim my £5.00 !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops wrote:
So to all you teachers, stop moaning, get in to the real world, take the flack on the chin and enjoy your free trip skiing Laughing

I really thought we were getting somewhere.... rolling eyes

Who is moaning? What flack?

Why do you need to be convinced about anything schooly?? Are you an undercover Ofsted inspector
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
chrisdavis, don't worry - all he wants, above all, is to have the last trolling word.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chrisdavis, it was a joke ffs, and I have no chance of having the last word on anything with teachers and Hurtle, around,

Hurtle, I thinbk the last word was by burkeyblue, wink but do you have a view on anything or do you just like popping up and stirring the pot yourself, I am amazed at how many posts you seem to ignore then pop-up like a jack in the box and generally join in with anyone who may have a contrary view to me, but you actually make no meaningful contribution, and you do seem to do the same thing with others that perhaps had reason to disagree with you in the past. And for what it is worth calling people a Troll is generally bad manners and is a good sign that you have lost a debate.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops, Cefn hengoed do run a trip. they're off in Feb as do Daniel James and Pentrehafod and Bishop Vaughan so not sure running the trip is to do with the social catchment of the school. The big difference is obviously in the numbers that take part. You are right that you are more likely to get more kids going in the more affluent areas. Not just because of cost but because they know what skiing is all about etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, you really make me laugh. I draw your attention, dear readers, to this - but a recent example of a useful contribution on your part. I think I will pass on using you as a role model for good manners.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
garethjomo, agreed they all try to run them when they can get the numbers up and maybe they do need to spread the word but most of the familes from Bonymaen, Hafod, Plasmarl, Penlan, Gendros and even Manselton etc would really struggle to find the spare cash, but ski trips are not a stated 'deliverable' on any of their websites as is the case with Bishopston/Gowerton. Btw I was told Pentrehafod are struggling this year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, Laughing
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
chrisdavis, it was a joke ffs, and I have no chance of having the last word on anything with teachers and Hurtle, around,

A reasoned post, based on common sense, and not aimed at yanking someone's chain is probably what you need if it's the last word you're after. Good luck with that. wink
snow conditions
"...Trolls are recognizable by the fact that they have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net..."
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Hurtle, and where is Latchigo when you need him wink

You called.

I do not have a horse in this race, but was bored so I read the thread anyway.
snow report
rayscoops wrote:

rob@rar, Yes, I am struggling to understand trips being organised by schools that are only available to those that can afford it, like this one http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=48195 ….. maybe it is my schooling back ground that provides a somewhat different perspective to most (if not you) on Snowheads. Which school did you go to btw? mine was Penlan Comp

I was the person who started that thread and seem to have opened a can of worms. My initial question was is it a good resort at that time of year for that money. The school in question is definitely middle class with a lot of wealthy families who ski regularly. I know of other schools who organise trips to Bulgaria and Italy at a lower cost to at least give lower income families a chance to save up and send their child on a trip of a lifetime.

There is no subsidising these trips from the school or by fund-raising activities and in my opinion seem to preclude a lot of children from having this opportunity. The Rugby trip to South Africa at the same school on the other hnad fundraises to raise quite a bit towards their trip so why not the ski trip?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy