Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cant ski no luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Arghgh just need to have a rant really Sad today is a blue sky day and I cant ski My skis are here but american airlines seem to have lost my luggage - they issued me with a voucher for hire boots and a hire jacket and pants BUT I have no thermals, no gloves, no goggles and no fleece etc so they werent prepared to do anything about this so I have spent the day reading papers and eating which is a disapointing start to a ski trip !

What would you have done in this situation ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bought some new gear.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen LS, gutting Evil or Very Mad fortunately I haven't ever had to deal with this issue though.
If it were me, I'd have kicked up a big stink with the airline and told them that I have no other choice than to hire/buy all the gear I need to get on with my holiday and that I would be sending them the bill. (either them or Insurance company should cover the costs). .... don't delay your holiday anymore - go get what you need tomorrow and keep all the receipts to claim back.
Good luck, hope tomorrow is better snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen LS, Inserted something at an appropriate angle into an American Airlines official.

Tough luck, I hope your gear shows up soon. Keep every voucher if you have to go shopping for what you are short of its possible you could get the airline or your travel insurance to cough up - it might be worth speaking to your insurance company to see what they suggest.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bought a spare pair of gloves n goggles in my hand luggage, worn a fleece on the plane with my jacket? wink

Seriously if I was in the US I'd have gone to Walmart/kmart and bought cheap n cheerful stopgaps for the above.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen LS, I'd have been sensible and bought some gloves, socks and a fleece, skied (rather than wasting the day) and then worried about the rest when I got home. That seems perfectly sensible to me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SKI IN JEANS!!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well Hopefully its going to turn up tonight Sad they have now apparently found my bag - they will not pay for anything till the bag has been missing for 24 hours apparently that is their right ! they did give me a toothbrush though Puzzled

If it does not arrive tonight I will be going shopping believe me ! I know I should have put all the stuff in my hand luggage I normally always do Sad

fatbob, Kmart isnt even that cheap anymore Sad but I will be on the first bus there in the am believe me Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen LS, That sucks - I have had it happen with United - twice - but never with American into JH (which I think is where you are?). We now always pack a minimum full ski kit - including boots - into hand luggage - when we ski in the US or Canada.

Anyway - have a drink and some grub and if your kit ain't there tonight - get to Sports Authority (probably the cheapest in town) early tomorrow morning.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The airline, failing which your insurance, should pay for the kit you need. Buy it tomorrow, argue about it later.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
there are rules that the industry have to meet in terms of what they must offer to punters when this and similar happens - ask for a copy of their policy, then check it out online against the regs and go at them with both barrels if they're in contravention. meantime get yourself to walmart / sports authority or similar and get the basics (keep receipts and hammer them for that too if they're short changing you)

good luck
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
altis wrote:
Bought some new gear.

Me too. You don't get to re-live the holiday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stoatsbrother, Yeah in Jackson - I think I was just lax this year after everything going so well previously Sad

If its not here by tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!! Apparently Dogtag dont cover you on the outbound for your luggage not arriving as well so its just down to American and as they know I am here for 17 days they werent really willing to listen to the your ruining my ski hol argument ...............

Anyway I think its going to snow tonight YAY so hopefully will be posting back tomorrow smelling fresher and having got some serious mileage in !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen LS, you need better insurance. And next time, shut the gate before the bolting horse. Sorry, crap story and not meaning to belittle it. Our insurance has limits of £400 after 8 hours delayed delivery and £1,000 (maybe £2,000?) after 24 hours delay. But what a tiresome nuisance. I'd just have bought cheap gloves, socks, fleece, etc.

Really crap start to your hols, much sympathy, hope it all improves.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen LS, bad luck. But personally I would have bought the stuff I needed to going skiing. All the things you mention will need replacing at some point. And today seems to have been that point for you. Assuming money isn't an issue, of course
snow report
You can always wear two pairs of socks on your hands etc.
latest report
luggage has arrived YAY !

I did think about buying cheap stuff but nothing I have needs replacing and money is a little tight at the moment !
I was surprised DOGTAG dont cover your luggage not arriving especially as I Dont have the basic policy ? anyway its here so I am off to bed and then to go ski tomorrow ! Tbh its been quite nice having a rest having worked up until a few hours before I got on the plane etc and then all the travel today is the first chill out day I have had for weeks Smile
ski holidays
As has been said above, I would have bought new gear and then tried to claim from the airline.

I know it doesn't help in this case, but having been the victim of delayed luggage once too often, I have developed the habit of putting my goggles, hat and gloves in my hand luggage.
ski holidays
I suppose one thing to remember for the future is to take goggles/gloves etc in your hand luggage as it seems the other necessities for first day skiing may be covered by the airline, but the budget UK airlines probably would not cover anything at all

A ski specific insurance policy that does not cover out bound luggage, i.e. your ski gear, does not seem like a good policy at all. Some one should have a word with that Dogtag chap that pops up on my screen all the time wink
snow report
BTW, when BA delayed my luggage, they encouraged me and everybody else similarly afflicted to buy what they needed at BA's expense. I didn't need much, as it was only my boot bag that went, but they paid up for new gloves and sunglasses and for boot and helmet hire. I have no doubt that they would have paid for clothing ha I needed it.

AA should do the same, I'd have thought.
snow conditions
Just checked my insurance with direct travel, they start paying out after 12 hours....
snow conditions
That's what hand luggage is for. Sufficient essentials that you don't get stuffed if the rest doesn't arrive. Razor, toothbrush, clean underwear and (skiing) thermals, hat gloves.

Bad luck, Helen LS, however.
snow conditions
Quote:

What would you have done in this situation ?

After it happened once (all of Mrs MA's kit lost for 10 days by KLM...) it wouldn't have arisen these days - see note below second quote....

Quote:

That's what hand luggage is for. Sufficient essentials that you don't get stuffed if the rest doesn't arrive. Razor, toothbrush, clean underwear and (skiing) thermals, hat gloves.

We wear our ski jackets for travel and now take the following ski kit essentials as hand luggage (and all within Ryanair's 10kg allowance Very Happy ):
Ski boots, trousers hat, gloves, goggles, sunglasses, face mask, socks and ski polo. Bingo!! We are guaranteed to ski and at worst (if luggage goes astray) only need to hire skis.
ski holidays
Quote:

Some one should have a word with that Dogtag chap that pops up on my screen all the time

some airline's got his fleece as well.
snow report
Boots (nor helmets) now not allowed in hand luggage on most airlines, although nothing in FAA or CAA banned list supports this. Has to go in the hold
snow report
I divide things between main bag and ski bag. Unlikely (cross fingers!) they will both go astray. If I have the ski bag, just have to hire boots and ski without a helmet. If I lose the ski bag then all I have to hire is skis.
ski holidays
madmole wrote:
Boots (nor helmets) now not allowed in hand luggage on most airlines, although nothing in FAA or CAA banned list supports this. Has to go in the hold

Never heard of helmets being banned from hand luggage & mine has always traveled with me in my little rucksack Confused Are you sure about that one?
latest report
After all the good that we have heard about DogTag I am surprised that they didn't cover this (esp. as I took them on this thinking it sounded good cover). I'm glad I largely drive to ski. Do we know if a DogTag rep. signs into Snowheads to check on their ad? If so it would be interesting to see their response to the suggestion that this eventuality should be covered.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I do that too, spread between ski bag, boot bag and suitcase. From ski gear, gloves, ski pants etc right down to a spare base, fleece and undies. One in each wherever possible. Having had both my boot bag and my ski bag go missing on two different trips. I was grateful for only having to replace some of the items. Upside is now I nearly have three of everything so I have an almost full kit in each bag rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

cathy
super-snowHead

Never heard of helmets being banned from hand luggage & mine has always traveled with me in my little rucksack Are you sure about that one?

Cathy lots of stuff about flying with helmets on Snowheads, its down to the airport, Grenoble won't allow helmets in hand luggage even when the airline will.
latest report
radar, really? Whoops! Well I can report from recent experience then that Gatwick and Geneva are OK with helmets in hand luggage. If last year was the same then Salzburg, Innsbruck and Zurich also OK.

Better go and do a check {mutters - must pay more attention to wot people post...}
snow conditions
so you had boots jacket and pants??? probem?? i dont think so.....
snow report
And from searching around it seems to be only Grenoble airport that has a problem with helmets in hand luggage. Anyone report any other airports or airlines that don't allow helmets in hand luggage? It would be useful to know.
ski holidays
cathy, Only the one bad apple from what I know. As by main bag is a soft holdall I refuse to fly there.
ski holidays
madmole, wrong. Even with boots this is usually dependant on the airport rather than the Airline. See dozens of previous threads about this on this forum...
latest report
I put the ski socks in the boot and carry that in my hand luggage.

I wear my ski jacket on the plane, if only to deal with the sudden chill when walking out of the airport terminal to the car park. By the same token, gloves, sunglasses. (actually, those stay in the pockets of the ski jacket)

So if in the worst case of my luggage being delayed, the only item I need beyond rental skis are ski pants (which is too bulky to fit in the hand luggage, but I have a waterproof shell I could press into service).
snow conditions
Cathy, no problems on the way out at Gatwick, Grenoble no helmets or boots as hand luggage
ski holidays
We have just (last night) returned from GVA via EasyJet, into Liverpool and 3 out of the 4 of us carried helmets. No comments/problems at either airport
latest report
What do they envisage you are going to do with helmets (or boots for that matter) in hand luggage? Bash the flight crew over the head with them?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy