Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carre Neige insurance + UK insurance?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone:)

It's my first post so I hope it's the right place to put it Blush

Me and my partner are going to Val Thorens in France in March for a week of skiing.

I have read few posts it's worth buying a Carre Neige insurance cars on top of the main insurance bought in UK.

Quote:
In short, the Carré Neige insurance covers the costs of being rescued by the pisteurs or by helicopter, taken off the mountain and taken to the nearest medical centre. After that, once you're at the medical centre, the costs that you incur from that point onwards (medical treatment, transport from the medical centre to another place) are not covered by Carré Neige, therefore you will need to have some other form of insurance in place to cover you for this. Carré Neige is basically just a top-up insurance, to cover you for the stuff that standard insurance usually doesn't already cover.
Carré Neige will also cover you for a refund of the cost of your lift pass under certain circumstances, for example, if the lifts end up being closed throughout all or most of your stay in resort, leaving you unable to ski.

Can anyone recommend any good insurer in UK to cover what CN doesn't?

My partner is a beginner skier and I am intermediate. We're not be going offpiste or doing anything "exotic" rolling eyes

We'll renting the equipment so I'm guessing we need some cover for it as well. Confused

Thanks a lot Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads, nemeziss, Normally when you rent equipment you'll be offered a supplementary insurance against theft or damage. In our resort it's 1 euro a day - well worth it. Far easier than trying to claim through a UK travel insurance policy.

The question of Carré Neige on top of UK travel insurance is a vexed one - but it's so cheap that I think it's worth it. We had a group of "friends of friends" South Africans skiing at our place last week, and they had taken the CN on top of the insurance which had been a compulsory condition of their visas. One of their number - a beginner snowboarder - had a big crash which hurt is ribs badly and took a fair bit of skin off his forehead (no helmet... rolling eyes ). He was off the mountain, and into Albertville in an ambulance, on the strength of his CN, no questions asked, no need for any cash upfront.

UK insurers vary. I was talking to a woman last week who had been into Albertville Hosp with a twisted intestine (not ski related) on a previous holiday. Very painful, couldn't raise a doctor at 3 am, her husband drove her in and she was there some days. Her insurer was the Post Office and she said they were brilliant - all bills paid upfront, first class support and advice etc. Next to her was a young guy with a ruptured spleen (ski accident). His insurer was Tesco and she said the guy's father had had all kinds of hassle, had to pay everything upfront, including transport off the mountain and ambulance. Chalk and cheese. When you're not familiar with the local systems and language, have that "AS" in the corner of the ski pass doesn't solve all problems, but it can make life a whole lot easier. At worst, you've "wasted" the cost of a cup of coffee on a "belt and braces" approach to insurance.

There are lots of good insurers - we have Ski Club insurance now because we need extensive cover for the whole season and long trips. In the past we found Snowcard very good, they came up trumps after a problem arose with our house at home (roof partly blown off by tornado) and when daughter in law twisted knee on the slopes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another vote for SCGB insurance (which doesn't have to be full-season) and also covers other "dangerous" sports.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will the standard insurance with SCGB be enough as I'm not a member? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just remember you cant have 2 lots of insurance. read the small print, they ALWAYS state they dont cover anything covered by another policy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nemeziss, most policies are not restricted to members (I'm not a member). You can find the policy wording on their site. The crucial thing for me is unequivocal cover for non-guided off-piste skiing (and cover for holiday mountain biking and sailing is great for me too).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So maybe I should get standard UK travel insurance not covering winter sports + the Carre Neige Puzzled

It's so confusing reading all of it... Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nemeziss, as a businessman, the way I see it is that if you have a good general multi-trip insurance policy, you're covered from a profit & loss point of view, but not from a cash-flow point of view, which is where the CN comes in.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just need to make sure that what covers CN the SCGB doesn't as Madmole said...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyway I need to discuss it with my partner. He is at work atm Sad

English isn't my first language so Reading all this things makes me very confused hehe.

I just applied for the European Health Insurance Card as I found out it's good to have it as well.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
madmole wrote:
Just remember you cant have 2 lots of insurance. read the small print, they ALWAYS state they dont cover anything covered by another policy
That's not quite correct, but there are complicated rights of contribution between double insurers, and the insured can't claim against both insurers for the same loss. Most of us have double insurance of one kind or another, domestic contents insurance often overlaps with other policies.

memeziss, laundryman is right, I too have a multi-purpose policy and - probably unnecessarily, but it's worth it for the small cost and the peace of mind that comes from knowing the local rescuers will not create any difficulties/ask any questions - will take out CN. And, if you don't get a bill for (say) the helicopter, because CN has covered that, well your main insurers will be delighted, because you will not even need to ask them to meet that potentially huge claim. EHIC also an excellent idea, for exactly the same reason that it might save you having to pay money out, and then having to claim it back from your insurers.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Quote:

madmole wrote:

..... ..... Most of us have double insurance of one kind or another, domestic contents insurance often overlaps with other policies.

My two-penn'rth : OK - not piste insurance, but on the general insurance cover theme...

I had all my gear knicked out of a hire car at La Daille a few years ago. (B*stards punched a small hole through the door skin with a screwdriver next to the lock, which allowed them to access the mechanism and unlock the door, even though it was deadlocked - oops: giving away trade secrets here wink )

I claimed for about £1,450 from my holiday insurance, who said they'd only cover me for £950 since I didn't have receipts for all the items.

In the meantime I checked with my household insurance (explaining that I also had a claim in with my holiday insurance). They sent an assesor round, who OK'ed a max of £1000 which was their limit on gear stolen from a car.

I contacted the holiday insurers thanking them very much, but saying I now only required £450 of their offered £950, so both insurers paid up the relevant amounts, and we were all happy bunnies.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geoffers, exactly. Glad it worked out OK for you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nemeziss wrote:
So maybe I should get standard UK travel insurance not covering winter sports + the Carre Neige Puzzled

It's so confusing reading all of it... Shocked

No, you definately need to get winter sports cover on your travel insurance policy. The issue here is that some people have found that they've needed to provide proof of insurance before the emergency services would take them off the slopes after an accident- this should not happen, but apparently it has done on some occasions. If you have the Carre Neige, there is no problem & you'll be helped immediately. Basically, you should be covered by your own insurance in the end, but the Carre Neige may well smooth things along...
Once you're off the slopes, you would need your UK travel insurance to pay for doctors/hospital/transport home etc. (should this be necessary - hopefully you'll never need it, of course!) so you must make sure you're covered for that.

Direct Travel do a decent policy, btw - worth a look...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you all for the advice Smile
snow conditions
Jo225
If its any help, I witnessed a teenager in our group take a tumble on the piste - easily done. There was nothing particularly rapid about our descent but he disappeared in a dusty cloud and exited the piste sideways in a heap. The immediate result seemed to be a badly twisted left knee that he could not move. Appearances were and this was later determined that he had not broken anything. We positioned ski's in a warning cross and positioned a lookout up the piste, then arranged mountain rescue by sledge between us. The next day the injured person paid approx 175 euro's for a bumpy descent in a a sledge and 175 euro's for treatment and medication. If his leg had been broken or he had been much higher up the mountain this bill could easily have doubled. Insurance cover for winter sport and a good helmet doesnt seem expensive by comparison. Fortis provide some good policies with reasonable caveats and premiums.
snow conditions
Quote:

175 euro's for a bumpy descent in a a sledge

this is what the CN would cover - or, indeed, a helicopter if that was needed. So will many UK policies, though not necessarily until a lot later. gonwitdeewind, did your casualty not have any insurance? Twisted knees are the most common problem - sometimes just bad luck, sometimes because skis do not release when they should. It is, as you say, very easily done.
snow report
I believe his insurance policy was back at the ranch and with the day closing in he opted to just get himself down swiftly and claim back later. Reckon on his DIN settings not being correct but the people he was travelling with weren't with him when he collected his ski's - so who knows what he checked out for at the ski shop. Was an athletic lad that is going to be frustrated over the coming weeks. Both cruciate & exterior ligaments damaged, but its amazing what they can do with carbon fibre and glue nowadays. Conversely, my sons DIN setting was too light and on his first descent he got annoyed as they came off at a modest hilly turn - rather that than the other though.
snow report
I do Snowcard and the local insurance on the ticket...if offered. Always take Carre Niege in France as it is said to be a no-questions evac from the hill..and for a few Eu, it would be silly not to, IMV.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

175 euro's for a bumpy descent in a a sledge

this is what the CN would cover - or, indeed, a helicopter if that was needed. So will many UK policies, though not necessarily until a lot later.

Absolutely! For c€2/day it's excellent peace of mind.

Last year in 3-Vs, one of our chalet group (we were all out together) fell and cracked their head (she as wearing a helment). She was unconcious for a while and then very dazed. The piste patrol came and took her down. Her OH went with her and, whilst the attention at the medical centre (with x-ray facilities) was excellent, her OH had to pay for everything. He had insurance, sufficient to cover all the costs, but had to fork out a fair sum which he could claim back once home. Had they had Carre Neige, there would have been no worry of paying on top of the obvious worry about the injured person.

It owuld be good to see CN adopted everywhere IMO.
snow report
I must admit that I thought my wife had arranged CN for our family. So was surprised she had turned it down (where the piste pass was issued?) as normally she covers all bases. So for three of us @ 42 euro's seems cheap compared to up to 500 euro's rendition per person from the mountain top, let alone who knows how much from Bellecote Glacier (LP) where we finally got to this week. WOW!!! The black mogul down from there could have caused no end of trouble but what great fun.
ski holidays
Quote:

Had they had Carre Neige, there would have been no worry of paying

I don't think CN would have covered the costs of medical treatment though? Some UK insurance policies give you little laminated cards, or similar, to carry with you on the slopes (or a dogtag) but it seems a bit hit and miss whether the piste rescue guys will accept that as "proof" that they will get their money (which, of course, it isn't). I have been party to three piste evacuations. None had to pay upfront. Two had CN, so one glance at their lift pass and the job was done. The third had UK insurance (Snowcard) and I telephoned them to tell them of the accident right away. I can't remember the details - I did pay some stuff upfront (e.g. full legbrace, drugs) which was reimbursed minus the excess. But the piste rescue, and the cost of private ambulance both ends of the journey, and a scheduled British airways flight to the nearest home airport, with extra seat for the baddy leg, was all met direct, and with excellent service. We were impressed. From other brushes with insurance I would stress the importance of informing them of accident right away and checking how to proceed - if you get home with a bundle of receipts and hope to get all your money back, you could be sadly disappointed, especially if you have opted for costly medical treatment without their go-ahead.

It's important to have an EHIC card too, and to have it with you in case you are taken directly to hospital from the slopes.
snow conditions
pam w, sorry, that was a little misleading on re-reading. Other than the x-ray, there was no other treatment, which CN would not have covered had there been, obviously.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy