Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go for a long weekend skiing- traveling from the midlands

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm sure this question has been discussed many times, but i've done a search and not found anything specific.

We've just come back from a week in Val D'isere where we had a brilliant week's skiing even though it was bloody cold. Most importantly, my wife thoroughly enjoyed a skiing holiday for the first time. Historically she's enjoyed herself but would have preferred to be somewhere hot and only really come along because she knows i enjoy skiing so much.

So, when she suggested going back for a long weekend i need to strike while the iron's hot!

What advice have people got on where and how to go for a long weekend? We've traditionally skied in Val D'isere, Tignes, or Coucheval and there would be a benefit in going back to any of these resorts as we know our way around. But obviously for a long weekend, distance from the airport, tunnel or ferry port is a prime consideration.

We've thought about driving, getting the Eurostar all the way to Bourg St Maurice or flying and hiring a car from the airport to the the transfer and are open to any of these. Then we've obviously have to sort accommodation for the weekend.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to travel, what resort to go to and where to stay when we get there. Bear in mind that my wife likes the nicer things in life (champagne tastes, unfortunately lambrusco money) so won't be willing to slum it or stay in an absolute budget accommodation, but a self catered apartment or similar would be fine.

Thanks

Richard
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
for a long weekend, driving is likely to be significantly more expensiv than a flight and hired car, and it's a lot of work just for a few days skiing. I've seen some very good suggestions here about weekends in Morzine and Les Carroz (with flexible accommodation dates) and they're both an easy drive from Geneva. For four days, I would probably not self cater (even though I'm a big self catering fan) because time for shopping and cleaning at the end will be at a premium. You might find an arrangement which would include transfers from Geneva. You'll get a number of suggestions here, I'm sure.

At the moment the snow at lower altitudes is stupendous for the time of year - which means that many of the places which are an easy drive from Geneva would be a good bet. There's certainly no need to trog down to the Espace Killy. You could try one of the lesser known places too, such as Le Grand Bornand, which is even closer than Morzine I think, though places which are very French-dominated tend to stick to Sat/Sat bookings and other periods can be difficult to get.

What was it about the latest trip which meant that your wife enjoyed it so much, despite the cold?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tamworth?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
altis wrote:
Tamworth?

or Milton Keynes at a push!!?? wink

Actually, joking aside, I'm also Midlands based and looking for a long weekend somewhere snowy before the end of the season. There doesn't seem to be so many direct/budget flights from Brum to ski resorts, which is a pain to say the least Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sleipnir, friends/family have had some good cheap flights from both East Midlands and Birmingham this season - easyJet and bmibaby.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sleipnir, Check Air France from Brum to Lyon (two flights daily) - cost me just shy of £80 return, with no messing abut with luggage allowances and all the other 'hidden' extras from the 'budget' airlines wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
What was it about the latest trip which meant that your wife enjoyed it so much, despite the cold?

She's skied for a total of 6 weeks now, the first 4 of which were in ski school. I've skied since i was 12 and, whilst i only class myself as an intermediate, i can competently enough ski 95% of the runs on the mountain and safely ski the remaining 5% without much fear and probably without any style Smile.

Up until last year when we went to whistler on our honeymoon, Karen had spent the mornings in ski school and the afternoons skiing with me and some friends. Problem was in the afternoons she was intent on practising exactly what she'd been taught that day in the lessons. She also had a fear issue of doing anything harder than a blue run.

When we went to whistler last year she didn't do ski school and we skied together all the time. The fact the piste ratings are different to france meant that she skied some runs that were a lot harder than she would have done in france and skied them well, but the fear factor wasn't there because she didn't know it was a much harder run before we got on the run. She also didn't spend the whole time practising what she'd learnt that day and just skied. Consequently her skiing came on leaps and bounds.

So this year in Val she didn't do ski school, skied with me and some friends (who we go with regularly anyway) all day and was happy to ski any run up to and including reds. She even voluntarily did some off piste on a number of occasions that we could see from the chair lift and would have skied a black that she could see from the lift had we had more time. This from the girl who said she'd never, ever want to ski off piste or do a black run.

Overall, the fear factor had gone, she felt competent, she just skied without being constantly worried about her technique, skied with a bunch of friends without feeling she was holding everyone else up and consequently she really enjoyed the skiing.

She's even started talking about replacing her comfort orientated boots with something a bit more performance orientated!

Hence i want to build on this new found enthusiasm for skiing!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One option is to go by coach. I went with my missus to Meribel using skiweekends.com, £330 each 3 days, half board including a 3 day Meribel valley lift pass. They go from Victoria Coach station overnight. Got a good 2 and a half days on the hill. Would use them again, perhaps Chamonix next year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are several TOs that specialize in weekend ski breaks.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ski+weekend
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scotland?

Weardale - only a couple of hours drive from you?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
we did le grand bonand last year (stayed in la clusaz - one hr from geneva). not a massie are but ok for 3/4 days. stayed with www.snowchalet.co.uk - chalet fan la bise. They were brilliant and cater for short breaks. one of the best chalets we have ever been in and they could not do enough for you. even did a free minibus to and from the slopes each day. we simply called them when we wanted picking up and they came to where ever we were !!! cool !
also going to les carroz with www.KandMchalets.co.uk this year. Marcellus who runs this company with his wife is a regular on this forum - again flexible to short stays and only one hour from geneva.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We do any day arrival short breaks in Les Coches, Paradiski from £99 - £139 for three nights accommodation in a catered chalet with a supplement of £30 for a Friday & Saturday night. We run a transfer service from Geneva airport at £12.50 per person each way, and we are also close to Bourg if you were to get the train. Details at http://www.mountainsunltd.com/short_breaks/view/short-break
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy