Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

More powder for your pound

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm working with Crystal Ski and we recently asked boarders and skiers for their top tips on how to save money on the slopes.

You can read the guide on our site http://www.crystalski.co.uk/money-saving-tips/ and why not add your own tips on the forum here? With the dreaded 'credit crunch' and the end of the season approaching we all need to squeeze in a cheap last minute holiday.

Happy reading!

Loz (Please feel free to tell me if this post should sit somewhere else, I couldn't find a similar thread).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tip: "Haggle like crazy with the tour operator, put down the phone if your ludicrous offer is not accepted, and then ring the competition"
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Amazing just how many of them recommend booking a package holiday as a money saving measure (transfers, passes, etc) rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Colin B, package holiday (usually with Crystal) always works out loads cheaper for me...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, might not have been the case before but at the moment TO deals are cheaper for summer and winter breaks for like for like quotes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went with Crystal on a package tour (skiing)in 2002, it was OK and cheaper than DIY, I did try.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Colin B, might not have been the case before but at the moment TO deals are cheaper for summer and winter breaks for like for like quotes.

I think it was Admin who made the point on another thread that the reason TOs are coming out cheaper at the moment, compared to DIY, is because they're locked into a much higher exchange rate since they did all their deals last year when the £ meant something.

Good news for anyone looking for a deal now, on that score then wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LaurenSki wrote:
... and the end of the season approaching ...

Really? I'm only about half way through. Haven't even begun to think of the end of the season yet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I didn't mean to turn this into a TO vs DIY cost discussion. It was more about the irony of a TO tips page on cost saving including lots of tips that a package is the way to go.

Having said that I don't think any TO could have bettered my £350 each for 2 of us to Zermatt for half term (flight + rail transfer + SC apartment).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a look at that website.

It is interesting that after I put in Scottish airports it came up with approx 80% manchester flights.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'm working with Crystal Ski and we recently asked boarders and skiers for their top tips on how to save money on the slopes.

Can also be read as

Quote:

I've been reading all the threads on how expensive it all is on snowHead recently and I've cut and pasted some of the better ideas and passed them of as my own.

rolling eyes Moi cynical
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boris, Well if we see a tip about exploding sprouts you'll know for sure... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boris, no, vous sceptical. Laurenski cynical (according to you).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LaurenSki wrote:
and the end of the season approaching

Sorry, end of season, WTF?!?

Mine started in October and shows no sign of petering out yet, in fact it'll end with some summer glacier training/testing in early August ... which will give me around a month and a half to kick my heels and then back to the snow in October snowHead

End of season indeed rolling eyes

Oh and I note on your website the comment:
Quote:
Try booking well in advance

Eeeerm, that might suit TOs but booking late this season has been a heck of a saver!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin B wrote:
Amazing just how many of them recommend booking a package holiday as a money saving measure (transfers, passes, etc) rolling eyes

But then it is cheaper.

And not just due to the exchange rate this year, although that does make it even more so.

If I were to book the room direct with the hotel I'm going to in a few weeks, the price would be €54 per night at that time - €324 in total, just for the room & half board. I got the full package, including flights and transfers, for £375, there is no way I could have got flights and transfers for £70 return.

When I have priced it up in previous years, it has always been slightly cheaper to use the TO.
snow report
roga wrote:
LaurenSki wrote:
and the end of the season approaching

Sorry, end of season, WTF?!?

Mine started in October and shows no sign of petering out yet, in fact it'll end with some summer glacier training/testing in early August ... which will give me around a month and a half to kick my heels and then back to the snow in October snowHead

End of season indeed rolling eyes

Would you not agree that for the majority of skiiers that the season does indeed end in mid/late april and start again in mid/late december? That would mean that most people are in or approaching the 2nd half of their ski season. Perhaps 'approaching the end' is a slight stretch but this certainly is not early Jan.

Also, I dont think many people enjoy skiing from October to August in an average year. Lucky for some...
snow report
a very similar post was made on another forum i go onto. i smell a bit of subliminal marketing on the part of crystal under the guise of "money saving tips" link...

cynical? moi? DIY FTW! (but only if cheaper than a TO, as both my trips this season have been half packages lol)
ski holidays
LaurenSki wrote:
the end of the season approaching

How long have you been skiing, you need to get out more?

There's two months left in places like St Anton,Lech, Ischgl,Obergurgl + more !!
snow report
Skola wrote:
Would you not agree that for the majority of skiiers that the season does indeed end in mid/late april and start again in mid/late december? That would mean that most people are in or approaching the 2nd half of their ski season. Perhaps 'approaching the end' is a slight stretch but this certainly is not early Jan.

Yes, I'd agree with you there but the OPs statement was "the end of the season approaching" and unless we're really going for a 'glass half empty' approach I think that's over egging the pudding a hell of a lot. In fact it's not uncommon for some of the best skiing (particularly in Scotland where I see you live) to take place in March and April. Sadly a great many people miss out on this because there appears to be a view, seemingly promoted by TOs, that skiing ends sometime in March/early April.
Quote:
Also, I dont think many people enjoy skiing from October to August in an average year. Lucky for some...

Very true, but an assertion, that read like an objective statement, was made by the OP, the season might be approaching it's end as far as TOs are concerned but objectively it's far from over, more like, as you say, half way through.
stanton wrote:

There's two months left in places like St Anton,Lech, Ischgl,Obergurgl + more !!

And even longer left in places like Hintertux!
snow report
stanton wrote:
LaurenSki wrote:

You miss the point.

For the casual skiers, the end of season IS approaching. So the TO's drive the price down to attract those who knows better.

March is traditionally one of the best month snow-wise and sun-wise. Somehow the skiing public never seem to catch on. So I get to ski a lot of good snow and good weather for dirt cheap but quite often by myself since others just don't want to hear about skiing this time of year any more.

To be fair, it's not the "end" of skiing season. It's the "begining" of spring. So it's a matter of glasses half full or half empty. If you have a serious summer hobby (gardening? Wink ), this IS the end of skiing season because you simply don't have time to BOTH ski and kayak/bike/gardening. So one thing have to give. And skiing is the one that ends as soon as cycling/gardening starts.
ski holidays
a typical snowheads debate!

we can all agree there is around 2 months left, then a considerable break for most

whats more important for me is trying to pursuade the OH and get time off work for a long weekend of skiing (not counting scotland) before the end of season!
ski holidays
Skola wrote:

I don't understand what you mean by that. Anyway, I was thinking about getting a new helmet Toofy Grin ....
snow report
The Ski Season never ends Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
abc wrote:
stanton wrote:
LaurenSki wrote:

You miss the point.

I don't think he does actually, the point being:
Quote:
For the casual skiers, the end of season IS approaching. So the TO's drive the price down to attract those who knows better.

Yup but the OP is actually doing a bit of cheap marketing for Crystal and asserting (completely erroneously IMHO) that the season is drawing to a close - has she asked Admin if marketing here is okay I wonder, or have Crystal made some contribution to this site?!

Looking at her other posts she has contributed nothing to any thread other than starting threads about Crystal!

People have been 'strung up' here for far less!
Skola wrote:

Leaving aside a bit of cynical marketing by the OP you have a point, lol Toofy Grin
Quote:
we can all agree there is around 2 months left, then a considerable break for most

Yup Very Happy
Quote:
whats more important for me is trying to pursuade the OH and get time off work for a long weekend of skiing (not counting scotland) before the end of season!

Best of luck and remember there are more travel options than those offered by Crystal, and ones that go beyond the middle of April Twisted Evil
moffatross wrote:
I don't understand what you mean by that. Anyway, I was thinking about getting a new helmet Toofy Grin ....

LOL Laughing
stanton wrote:
The Ski Season never ends Very Happy Very Happy

Objectively that statement is far truer than the OP's suggestion that the season is almost at an end! Shocked Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy