Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

+44, 0044 or not??

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know what exactly works with mobile-mobile calls/texts abroad? I have had some numbers work with no +44/0044 prefix and others not, but never took enough notice to work out what the pattern was as I try to use it as little as possible when away.

Is there any difference for instance if you're calling a uk-registered phone which is or isn't currently in the same country as you? Is it different for texting/phoning?

I'm putting together a contacts list for a trip and want to know people can get hold of me/each other without problem. At least one of them hasn't been abroad before.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Butterfly, I can't remember the last time I had to put a 44 in front of the number when abroad (would be years ago). My mobile is on O2 but I don't know if that makes any difference or not to be honest.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Always use the prefix, regardless.
edit: +44 that is, rather than 0044... since not all countries necessarily use 00 for international.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Even if some UK numbers work, changing the prefix in your phone book to 0044 means there's no doubt about it. Dialling still works as normal in the UK so no need to change it back.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All my UK contacts in my mobile are set up with +44 and no 0 (so, even for calls within the UK my phone is dialling +44 207 xxx xxxx etc). This works for me from anywhere.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I use +44, drop the 0, always works.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Always use +44 if you want your phone to work anywehere, 0044 will not work in north america, as we found out when Martin went ballistic having spent hours reprogramming every number to 0044....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller wrote:
All my UK contacts in my mobile are set up with +44 and no 0 (so, even for calls within the UK my phone is dialling +44 207 xxx xxxx etc). This works for me from anywhere.

wot he said ^^^
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kruisler wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

wot he said ^^^

Me three
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nbt wrote:
Always use +44 if you want your phone to work anywehere, 0044 will not work in north america, as we found out when Martin went ballistic having spent hours reprogramming every number to 0044....

Cheers, didn't realise this Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It used to be that you had to use the +44 for all calls (texts tend to go through a UK centre so don't), but a couple of years ago O2 changed it so that their phones automatically assumed that the number dialed was a UK one, so you had to use the prefix on calls to a "local" number abroad.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm on O2 also. Number are stored in my phone as standard UK numbers and I never have to use the international dialling codes for calls or texts to other UK based mobiles.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all
So to sum up (correct me if I am wrong please!)

Although not always necessary, it's advisable to store all UK based mobiles (& landline numbers) with +44 replacing the 0, as that should work for texts & calls wherever either phone actually is.

To call a non-UK based number, mobile or landline, you add the relevant country code, eg +33 for France. So if you're trying to ring someone with a German mobile, while you're both in France, you'd prefix the number with +49.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
in ADH this year I tried to call my wife on her mobile and could not. She was in the same resort. All my numbers are stored with +44 in them and had to dial 0044 to get it to work !
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Butterfly, correct.

Unless there's any Italian numbers you need to call, when things start to vary Wink

+ is supposed to be interpreted by all GSM/UMTC networks as "the local international access code for the country your are in"
00 is the ITU recommended international access code, but not all countries (eg US/Canada) use this (yet)
snow conditions
When in France with a group of us, we were similarly confused, but noticed that "stored" numbers without +44 did not need it adding. Dialling it manually did need the additional 3 button presses.

That was irrespective of location of recipent's phone, home or abroad. Tested a number of times to/ from different networks ( I'm on Orange, others in the party were on O2, Vodaphone and Three), and the results semed to be consistent.

hope this helps (but probably not...)
latest report
How do you all find time to ski?!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
your on your hols, phone folk when you get home!

(i work abroad a good bit and have all my numbers in as +44 or +1 or whatever it may be)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy