Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski tuning in the NW

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm in Preston and need to get my SL skis base ground and 0.5 base edge bevel set. Can anyone recommend anywhere that do a decent job?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
narc, Have you tried asking Ski Racing Supplies ? I don't know how big a workshop they have themselves but would trust their advice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anything Technical in Kendal might be just a bit too far from you. But they are the British importers of Holmenkol and Wintersteiger (who make servicing machinery), and are one of the best workshops in the UK.

p.s. is this for dry slope? I wouldn't trust a British shop to bevel my skis if it was for snow racing! And if it is for dry slope, why would you want a bevel at all?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is for snow. While I don't race, I use race skis as my piste skis and am quite picky about the tune, it's just easier getting it done over here and I was confident I'd find somewhere trustworthy to take them. I've not had any experience with brit shops yet so perhaps I'm asking too much....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fair enough. The problem is that the standard of machinery and operators is extremely variable in the UK. What's more, the expense of the machinery compared to the small number of skis that come through the doors of a British shop means that you don't even get a better price. £40/€40 is a standard going rate for a full service in most alpine resorts and most British shops. If you end up in a smaller or cheaper alpine resort, and pick out a family-owned shop, you can often get this price down to as low as €25 and your skis get the tender loving care of a French/Swiss/Austrian/Italian man that has grown up learning his trade.

If you're going on holiday, I would have nose around for a smaller independent shop when you get there, speak to the technician yourself, stick them in for an overnight service and pick them up the next morning as you head for the hill.

And if you really are picky, maybe its time you invested in some tools and learnt to look after your skis on your lonesome? The aforementioned Anything Technical runs 3-day technician courses up and down the country, I did one a few years ago and reviewed it, if you're interested.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
narc, if they do it SRS will do a good job. They've got many years experience with tuning skis to a decent standard, well, good enough to get their son/grandson to the World Champs Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Would highly recommend SRS as well, assuming they have the facilities. Certainly their knowledge of such things is first class.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you want it done right get a flat grind & then set the base edge angle yourself.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
welove2ski, And the standard in France etc isn't variable! narc, have a look at spyderjon's site, you could spend a half a day with him and do your own, and give them that extra special TLC
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy