Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Chris Brookes wrote:
They have opened The Schilgrat area this morning and next will be Winteregg. The run to Lauterbrunnen to Winteregg is not yet open but enough snow now for it to open.

Full Inferno course then? I can't decide if that makes me happy or not....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maireadoconnor wrote:
@Alastair Pink, indeed it was! And now we are off to inspect the Horner pub.

No race doesn't mean no party - why not come up?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gämsbock, oi you, whose side are you on?

Besides, it turns out I've got no bloody poles. That's the last time I trust anyone to pack for me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Maireadoconnor, the side the snow falls on....

Snowpenguin has forgotten our poles twice... even better, the second time it was on purpose! Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Murren snow depth: 61cm !!

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CB. Is that now considered a good snow depth ?.. how's it compare with say the past 2 years ? Getting excited . 2 weeks time. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gamer2471 wrote:
CB. Is that now considered a good snow depth ?.. how's it compare with say the past 2 years ? Getting excited . 2 weeks time. Madeye-Smiley

This date last year @murrenlover tweeted we had the following depths in Murren: 50cm / Schilthorn: 159cm

ps...Winteregg now open!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok, it's awesome here today. Maireadoconnor has been dragged off piste by her fellow BASI weirdos to show its perfectly possible to have fun skiing powder on skinny piste skis. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swiss TV has been covering the Lauberhorn downhill race since 1946, here's an interesting archive clip showing how the TV coverage has changed over the years:

https://www.facebook.com/srfarchiv/videos/

Smile

Click on the video entitled "Lauberhorn-Abfahrt"
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does anyone know what times the lifts start/stop?
Sorry for the dumb question, I can't find that info on the Jungfrau website. I'm trying to sort out some logistics for trip to Wengen in a couple of weeks time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wengen–Männlichen Aerial Cableway
10. December 2016 to 3. February 2017
from Wengen: 8.30 –16.15 h
last departure from Männlichen 16.30 h

taken from here :
http://maennlichen.ch/en/winter-timetable.html

Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bit parky here today, minus 13 on our balcony this morning, heaven knows how much colder at altitude. But the snow's great with every lift open in the Scheidegg / Männlichen area. More pistes opening up all the time, the whole area should be open within a day or two. Also, we've reached that time of year when Männlichen still gets some sun after lunchtime.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks gamer2471 I really should have found that website Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gamer2471 wrote:
Wengen–Männlichen Aerial Cableway
10. December 2016 to 3. February 2017
from Wengen: 8.30 –16.15 h
last departure from Männlichen 16.30 h

taken from here :
http://maennlichen.ch/en/winter-timetable.html

Very Happy

Hidden away - deep in the nether regions of the Jungfrau website - it's actually easier to navigate on a mobile device not a PC rolling eyes

Operating information

Kleine Scheidegg
Opened until Easter Monday, 17 April 2017
Limited operation from Monday, 3 April 2017

Männlichen
Opened until Sunday, 2 April 2017

Winter sports facilities operating hours
9 AM to 4 PM
starting on 04/02/2017 until 4:30 PM

So last lifts are at 4/4:30, so make sure your watch is correct 'cos like everything else in Switzerland they will be prompt!
Last year we made the Winteregg lift by 10 seconds

https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfrau-ski-region/wintersportinfo/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Telford Mike, @sherlockis, Back from Grindelwald last night, thanks again for all the tips, we had a great time. Such a shame about the downhill being cancelled, but that was more than made up by 2.5 days of heavenly conditions for recreational skiing! And we managed to watch both Slalom runs on Sunday, first from the start stretch at Almend and second run down at Inerwengen in the finish area. So not all was lost. Great atmosphere, though possibly not as electric as the Downhill would have been. Looks like it's Saturday or bust for the Downhill because a swap with the Slalom would have been perfect. Sunday was one of the best skiing days I've had in ages.

A few pointers for anyone thinking of doing:
- Make sure if you have any offers to hand that you take print outs of them preferably in German as jobsworths doesn't even begin to describe the staff at Grindelwald Station. What a carry on we had given they had no idea of their own promotions! I got the "kids ski-free during race weekend" eventually, but I was either the first ever to do so or there was a policy of trying to talk all tourists out of it.
- There was definitely no way of getting close to the course without a race ticket on top of ski pass.
- Train transfer from Zurich was fine, bit long and a bit of rushing between connections but easily less hassle than hire car, snowy roads, fuel costs, tolls etc.
- The Swiss Franc exchange rate is murder at the moment!

Finally having stayed in Wengen so many times, I quite liked Grindelwald. They obviously have to try harder with less of a captive audience, and that shows in the services and general attitude (Station staff excepted!). It is a bit more of a hassle getting up to the ski areas but only marginally and First has some great pistes, with the whole run from Oberjoch to the Valley at about 1500m vertical being most enjoyable to do in one hit!

Cheers.
snow report
@Bodeswell, glad you had a good weekend, we were also in the stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Absolutely freezing again today but sunnier than yesterday. Snowed a few cms last night which wasn't forecast.
latest report
How's the snow holding up with no top ups of late ?....and temps on the rise this week ?.... supposed to be dropping sharply next weekend. Thaw freeze going to make it icy hard ?
snow report
Pistes are fine at the moment, but it is quite spring-like in the afternoon. Off-piste pretty much skied-out. The good news is that we now have enough pistes open to spread the skiers out.
latest report
don't suppose anyone knows of a B&B in Grindlewald, that would accommodate a couple staying just a single night (midweek) - we are looking make an evening of night tobogganing, so as we are actually staying in Murren, would be far easier to stay over one night in Grindlewald and make a whole evening of it. Just thought I'd ask inscase any SnowHeader's had a bolt hole, or knew any little places that would accommodate just one night for me and the Mrs. I'll be searching the usual websites for accommodation - but just incase anyone has a suggestion I thought I'd at least ask here - thanks ! snowHead
ski holidays
Hotel Tschuggen is usually a good bet. Centrally located and inexpensive.
latest report
Chris Kumara style "Unbelievable !!" - I had just bitten the bullet and booked Hotel Tschuggen quickly. Its nice to see it recommended.. small world Very Happy
snow report
Nice one. And it's immediately opposite the rather excellent (and also inexpensive) Memory bar Very Happy Also worth trying Golden India 300 yards up the road if you fancy a curry.
snow report
Lovely morning but very cold - minus 11 in the village. Pistes are still really good all the way back to Wengen. A big föhn rolled in after lunch closing Wixi lift and even the railway for a while. The area is pretty quiet at the moment.

There's a new Facebook group called "what's on in Wengen" for anyone who wants to keep up with events in the bars etc.
snow report
Proud to confirm that both myself and @Maireadoconnor passed our BASI L2 in Lauterbrunnen today. It's been a full on 12 days but in an absolutely stunning location. We'd love to come back here for a holiday one day...

@Maireadoconnor now has no excuse not to play in the variables wink
ski holidays
Reasonably new here so tell me if this is the wrong place...

Anyone else going to be in the area 10-19th Feb? I'm going out with my parents so it would be great to find some like minded (medium to fast piste) skiers to ski with!

Staying down the valley in Wilderswill so Murren/Mannlichen/Kleine Scheidegg/First are all easy for me!
latest report
The main drag down from Männlichen at lunchtime today. It's quiet! Pistes are fine. Less cold today, got above freezing this afternoon.

snow report
oliverracing wrote:
Reasonably new here so tell me if this is the wrong place...

Anyone else going to be in the area 10-19th Feb? I'm going out with my parents so it would be great to find some like minded (medium to fast piste) skiers to ski with!

Staying down the valley in Wilderswill so Murren/Mannlichen/Kleine Scheidegg/First are all easy for me!

Afraid i`m arriving on the 19th.
latest report
Telfordmike... why do you think it's that quiet at the moment ? We are arriving tomorrow so that's 2 more people at least Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gamer2471 wrote:
Telfordmike... why do you think it's that quiet at the moment ? We are arriving tomorrow so that's 2 more people at least Laughing

Always is this time of year in between Lauberhorn and the beginning of the European school holidays. It's an ideal time for you to come Very Happy
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
The main drag down from Männlichen at lunchtime today. It's quiet! Pistes are fine. Less cold today, got above freezing this afternoon.

Man, I would love to hit that on a powder day! Hope you folks get some more snow soon!
ski holidays
7 x Sherlocks here today so more is merrier. Lost of locals coming up this morning but still quiet on the slopes once they spread out at Scheidegg Toofy Grin
latest report
On the wrong side of the valley today. Snow forecast this afternoon. ok on slopes but could do with a refresh in some places Runs open down to Lauterbrunnen so planning the full run down from the Schilthorn Toofy Grin snowHead
snow report
At last the rain has stopped. Sun came out at lunchtime, pistes soft but with good coverage. Viz a bit varied with clouds coming up from the valley. Still mild.

snow conditions
Booked to be in Grindelwald for a week, starting 11th March? Based on past experience how good are the runs by then? No prior knowledge of area. Usually ski in Scotland but this season has been a disaster. V sad Sad
snow report
Here's a pic I took of a mate of mine on 11th March last year. Conditions were really good. March is usually fine.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 2-02-17 17:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Went on early to mid march in 2013 - it was up there with the best snow I have ever had, but it's different year to year but still should be plenty or runs open, definitely more than Scotland!
snow report
Own up, which snowheader has a furry gingerish hat and a snowhead white neck buff ?.... seen on train upto wengen this morning about 10am snowHead
ski holidays
Not me, but I have a SnowHeads sticker on my helmet and I'm here as well.... Laughing
ski holidays
Thank you so much for the pictures and posts. I will be travelling with my younger son and it will be first time we have skied anywhere other than Scotland so hopefully it will be a trip to remember. We also hope to enjoy skiing when we can see more than 2 ft in front of us! We have been told that if you can ski well in Scotland then you can ski anywhere, I so hope this is true Laughing
snow conditions
Mazzarazza wrote:
Thank you so much for the pictures and posts. I will be travelling with my younger son and it will be first time we have skied anywhere other than Scotland so hopefully it will be a trip to remember. We also hope to enjoy skiing when we can see more than 2 ft in front of us! We have been told that if you can ski well in Scotland then you can ski anywhere, I so hope this is true Laughing

Hi, I worked a couple of seasons in Aviemore and if you can ski there you'll be absolutely fine here. Any questions just ask.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy