Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Not to worry. Glad you had a good time. It is snowing again out here!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I left Tignes le Lac on Sunday (7th May) morning. There had been snow in resort overnight!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't know why they've bothered to shut have you seen the webcams! Normally there's only a band down for the run from GMotte left with snow on now.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was out there 29th April to 1st May.

I couldn't believe how good the snow was for the time of year.

First time I've ever skied or boarded on 1st May.

Hoping to do the same w/e next year.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Summer skiing and Snowsports in a world of ice and snow

20 km of pistes, 130 hectares, a vertical drop of more than 750 m, a snowpark shaped afresh every night, 5 snowsports schools, the privilege of rubbing shoulders with champions out training… here there’s a really fun atmosphere. Beginners will appreciate the soft snow, amateurs will love the space and the cool atmosphere, and the pros are great to watch.

Well, there's a bit of spin for you, from the www.tignes.net website! With a bit of luck it might be like that on the 18th of June when the glacier opens for the summer... but for how long?

And I bet you're all overwhelmed by the
Quote:

privilege of rubbing shoulders with champions out training
- just so long as it isn't at any great speed, of course! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
amateurs will love the space

What space? All I could see was gates and narrow lanes!

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

the privilege of rubbing shoulders with champions

as they storm through the lift queue to get to the front Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin wrote:
Quote:

the privilege of rubbing shoulders with champions

as they storm through the lift queue to get to the front Laughing

Not when I've been there in the autumn. No lift queue privileges, not even for national teams. The only exception were people with a trainer's pass who were allowed to catch the 8am train up to the Grand Motte to set courses. Everyone else just joined the queue, which was particularly large for the 8.30am train.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk, still, some of the kids do seem to have a knack for starting the queue three or four place back and getting on in front of you, no matter how closely you glue yourself to the skis of the guy in front! Laughing. Especially the kids, and especially some of the Italian kids rolling eyes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I do remember seeing a young French boy and girl very tentatively approach a rather big bloke in French team lycra and asking for his autograph, which he willing gave with a big smile. Don't have a clue who he was Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, couldn't find the bit you referenced but I did find that the summer piste map has changed considerably. The Lessire run and lift is no longer show, neither is the pair of drags to the right and below the funicular station, any pretence of the drags coming up from near the bottom of the second chair (which I've never seen running in winter at all and always looks abandoned). Also the snowpark has moved to the top of the cable car and by the funiclar station. Whats happening?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes I noticed the Leisse etc had vanished from the summer map, although if conditions are good that might change. I've got another interview with Tuaillon, the piste security director there. I'll check out what the plans are. But if you take a look at the photos I posted of the glacier from last August, given the rate at which it's receding, I think we all know the answer in advance... Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar.org.uk, The French national team do have priority, as do Espace Killy instructors.

boredsurfin, What discipline was he training ?

Last autumn, I saw Carole Montillet-Carles get mobbed by kids wanting her autograph whenever she stopped.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk, you're certainly making sure you won't be late for that gate Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG, Phil Smith frequently told me not to take too tight a line! I don't know why I kept doing it - I certainly didn't like clattering into the damn things all the time. Perhaps I should try something which involves skiing in a straight line...?
snow conditions
Have you got some good protective wear? As for the right line, as you know it's dependent on several factors. Not least gradient - doing what you're doing there sometimes feels perfect and you get to the finish with a slow time you can't understand - until you worked out how many extra metres you've covered to gain the extra speed and stop skidding turns. Especially if it's flatter than you thought. I suppose it becomes instinctive in the end - I've seen racers really nail runs and not really know why, and then look just as good without any mistakes and be off the pace.
snow report
PG, no protective wear other than a helmet and a thick skull. Choice of line is still a complete mystery to me, but I try to avoid slamming into the gates now Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, sounds as if a well-padded GS suit or at least a top would come in handy! Allegedly you can't feel a thing...
latest report
PG, I have quite a lot of "in-built padding" so not sure that adding to that would be desirable Embarassed
snow report
So just 17 days to go now, and conditions are fantastic right now. This taken last week while the French WC team were training at Val Claret - it would still be possible to ski down to resort at 2100m.

Could be one of the best ever starts to the summer season if it stays this cold - snowing down to 1000m earlier today in the Savoie. Saturday June 17th is the official opening date of both the Tignes and the 2 Alpes glaciers, with Val d'Isère following a week later. With the French yet to go on holiday, it's usually really quiet until the end of June (some photos of the Tignes Grande Motte glacier from June 2004, the last great start to a summer season, in this MySnowSports piece...)

It really is worth considering a short break when things are this good. For info, the glacier is open between 7.15am and 1pm from June 17th. There are some excellent accommodation + lift pass deals available, and Tignes has made a big effort in terms of summer activities. Buy a six day lift pass for the skiing, and they give you a multi-activity "Sportignes" card, with free access to just about everything, for just 1€...

And now of course there's the new Aqua Centre...
Quote:
The Aqua Centre is scheduled to open early July. Its facilities include a 25 metre swimming pool, plus a fun pool with four 30-metre water slides, a leisure pool with swimming against the current, a bubble bed, a whirlpool seat, a geyser, a waterfall feature... a paradise for big kids of all ages... and for the smaller version there's a paddling pool with a water slide, a mini-whirlpool bath, a 'champignon' feature and more…

The Aqua Centre also includes a spa centre with spa pools, steam baths, saunas and jacuzzis, hydro-massage, a solarium with direct terrace access, a fitness centre and gym, weight training, stretching and dance...

With cheap flights to the likes of Geneva via the budget airlines at this time of year, well worth thinking about a break on the snow before it gets too busy and the glacier snow deteriorates too much.
snow conditions
PG, serious question.

Why do they shut the glacier for a month ?

Surely with some decent marketing they could attract customers during late May and early June ?
ski holidays
bladeskier, I think the glacier needs 'recovery time'.
snow report
bladeskier, as Helen says. It used to be a "365 days a year" resort for skiing, but it currently shuts early May through June 17th, then again at the end of the summer, August 31st through to mid-October. Plus it just doesn't cover costs over those periods, no holidaymakers, just race ski clubs are very low lift pass rates.
ski holidays
Just came back for a few days and it is snowing on the glacier might even get the skis out for a quick blast. Anyone else been skiing in Tigne this summer.
snow conditions
snowcrazy, yep ! Was the best August Bank Holiday ski for years......... snowHead
latest report
Nice to see a light dusting of snow down to about 2300m on the Tignes webcams this morning. Fingers crossed for a cold and snowy autumn so the Grand Motte is in good condition for a pre-season week in November Smile

snowcrazy, did you go up to the glacier to see what it was like?

ski any photos?
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, Not yet - still being processed ... will scan and upload any good ones snowHead

The snow was as good as/better than any of the August trips I've done ..... especially on Sunday (soft) and Monday (hard) snowHead

The weather was much much colder than in previous years, so the snow stayed in good nick for longer, and recent snowfall mean that you could ski most of the way back to the cable car on snow, rather than glacier...
snow report
ski, sounds great. How busy was it? I assumed that the end of August would have very poor snow, but it sounds like that might not lways be the case.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk, August can be c**p - I have got out of the cable car to find rain at the top and no snow Shocked On the other hand, (remembering that this is August), they can be (as this year) great. snowHead

What you do get is (usually) VERY hard snow first thing...early morning starts rolling eyes (8 am train for us - 7:15 is the first) and then the snow softening through the day.

If it hasn't snowed for a while the snow will be quite like sugar, but if you're lucky you'll get some fresh snow, that skis and feels like 'winter' snow. snowHead

Usually there will be lots of race teams training - this time we saw France, Japan and Korea written on various catsuits, and (of course) huge numbers of children.

There aren't too many 'holiday' skiers (like us) - which means quiet (ish) pistes...so you can practise those carved turns without worrying too much about collisions. Laughing

In the afternoon this year we did canyoning and hydrospeeding - both of which are highly recommended snowHead

The choice this year was to do either the LSERSA race at Bromley, or go to Tignes. So the view would be either the A20 or the Grand Motte.

Also - your old Head SLs were great snowHead
snow report
ski wrote:
Also - your old Head SLs were great snowHead

I'm glad that they are finally getting a decent workout!

What pistes were open for skiers who aren't training? When I've skied the Grand Motte in November lots of the available terrain is allocated to GS lanes, meaning that there's not much left for casual skiers/boarders.
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, I think the skis were well trained by their previous owner wink

The run to the left (looking up) of 3500 was free of gates, as was most of Rossilin and the motorway down from the top. Champany had some GS lanes on it, but the snow was not very good there anyway.

The slalom and GS lanes on 3500 would thin out from 10:30 ish and there was always space next to the bumps. So a fair amount for a weekend.

We spent most of our time on 3500. The day that we had snow... there were NO lanes at all Shocked
snow report
ski, that sounds pretty good. Much more space than in the autumn. Did you plan ahead to be there, or see a favourable weather forecast and decided to go at the last minute?
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

Did you plan ahead to be there

It's a planned thing. We missed last year, and Mrs Ski has only just forgiven me Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Here we go then;

[img] http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/4222/cat/500/ppuser/411 [/img]

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 6-09-06 10:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
ski, wow! Snow looks amazing for the end of August.
snow conditions
That's Mrs Ski.. look at the smile - she obviously thinks so too snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
cant see the pic Sad
snow report
 brian
brian
Greg (how do you pronounce the new name?),

http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/4222/cat/500/ppuser/411
snow report
cheers Brian!

The theory on the name last night after a glass or two was kite n ski......(kite and ski)
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
ski, wow! Snow looks amazing for the end of August.

Some more photos of the Grand Motte glacier taken on the 1st of September over on PG's blog. Looks just as good as ski described, although temperatures have been quite warm since then so I guess the glacier is not looking so good right now.

Click image for more photos

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 7-09-06 12:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy