Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 15/16

Poster: A snowHead
Welcome to snowHeads @Ouch!, snowHead

When in Feb?
There will be rather a lot of snowHeads just round the corner in Arabba for the Birthday Bash at the start of Feb snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@T Bar,

We leave tomorrow for 9 days in Selva. The forecast is currently showing a big yellow blob over the VG valley. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've stayed in Arabba a few times, but this time it's Campitello from the 20th Feb.
I get so excited about skiing.
I'm 51 now, but I get like a stupid schoolboy and I am full of happy anticipation!

I've been going skiing since I was 11 and I don't think I've missed a year since.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ouch!, I know exactly what you mean. I'm 61 and i've been going since I was 51 and exactly like yerself I don't think i've missed a year since . . . infact I've been doing twice and sometimes thrice each fecking winter since!!!

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mollerski, we are heading to Selva on Saturday for a week. Can't wait!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@dippdydoodogg,

Look out for a bunch of noisy middle aged Brit guys in either the Kronestruber (above the Luislkeller), or the Saltos Bar (side of Ski School on Dantercepies St) at après time. The strong Cornish accents will give us away. Very Happy

The weather gods appear to be looking favourably upon us. Have a great trip. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mollerski, We'll be the equally middle aged couple with strong Irish accents complaining bitterly about you from a barstool Madeye-Smiley We've missed out on skiing for the last couple of years so like overexcited kids now.

Weather is looking great - hope your holiday is fantastic too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dippdydoodogg,

Fellow celts!! Say hello if you spot us. A badly sung rendition of 'Going up Camborne Hill' will be the giveaway. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mollerski, We will indeed. I hope you are not unfortunate enough to hear me sing!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dippdydoodogg, @Mollerski, sounds like Selva will be mayhem with you lot in town next week then!! Laughing

Have a good holiday guys! snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How are things in San Cassiano ?
We aren't going until March 13th but would be nice to know that there is a base building up.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
anyone been to val di sole? info about ski area or weather and snow reports are welcome too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cold and overcast today preserving the excellent piste conditions but nothing new falling.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dvosjecha, Val di Sole has good access to Passo Tonale and Madonna plus an option of a day at Peio. Not the most exciting valley otherwise but easy access (car/train). Can give a few suggestions for accommodation PM if this would be useful. Best of Tonale is glacier run (black) to valley and tree skiing in Ponte di Legno. Madonna probably worth a more extensive explore and I think it's worth the trip to Pinzolo for tree skiing (manageable from Val di Sole if you're an intermediate or better). Peio is high and basically one long run top to bottom with a few alternatives on the lower half of the mountain, mainly intermediate terrain.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@micky, I doubt if there is much by way of natural base, given the snow to date. The base must be mainly artificial I would think.
snow conditions
I notice that the amount of open pistes in the Sella Ronda has stopped increasing. Perhaps saving water for snow making over half term ?
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
I notice that the amount of open pistes in the Sella Ronda has stopped increasing. Perhaps saving water for snow making over half term ?

No real half-term in Italy, but there is Carnevale which culminates on 9th Feb.

I have noticed on previous poor snow years that there are some runs that don't get opened as they don't have snow cannons, these rely on natural snowcover to open, there probably hasn't been enough of that yet.
snow report
I'm worried about Alleghe. Only about half the runs seem open and lots of us go in 8 days with no new snow in the horizon.
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, looks good on the webcam (but that may not be the whole story..)

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/ski-area/civetta/webcams
latest report
I look at the webcams daily but the website is also showing a lot of closed pistes. The resort runs to Allaghe are still not open. Much of the Zoldo mountain seems to to be closed along with other runs in the top area. I hope the website is wrong or, if it's not, the snowmaking is going to do it's job in the next week of very cold temps.

I'm not sure how much of Civetta is covered by cannons. It does not have the resources of the much busier resorts. Maybe they're just saving all teh snow for the Snowheads visit.
latest report
Just finished our last day.
Cold temperatures keeping everything fresh.
There is no real base for off piste that I can see maybe a few bits where wind blown snow collects.
The pistes though are in marvellous condition and apart from some of the lower south facing slopes the appearance remains white.
snow report
@cameronphillips2000, Oh dear Sad -- hope it improves for you.... :: Arabba looking better tho' Smile
ski holidays
This is a shot of the home runs to Alleghe which is 400M lower than anything on the main resort webcams. It looks like a white run in there somewhere but it's not showing open yet. Apparently the Facebook site says it should be open for the weekend.
The Lakeis not fully frozen yet either which it has been every time I've visited.

http://www.centrometeodolomiti.it/alleghe-webcam.html
latest report
@cameronphillips2000,
On the way back to the airport yesterday we drove through Alleghe. A strip of white running back to the gondola, obviously no idea what the piste conditions are like higher but it was seriously cold and I should think the lake will be fully frozen very shortly it was partially frozen yesterday.
If they have snow making it will certainly be able to run.
I am a dolomite novice but looking back at the dolomites from the plain the south facing snow line is certainly very high.
ski holidays
This webcam shot is fascinating. I thought it showed the lake partly frozen with a melted bit in the middle bit what I now think it shows is a frozen lake with a very very low water level. Last year this lake was full. I think this might be something to do with how much wate is being pumped up on the mountains for snowmaking.
Allghe is showing only 75% of the resort open with 100% covered by snowmaking. I can only assume this is down to water shortages. the next two weeks show very cold temperatures with pretty much nothing falling from the sky.

http://www.centrometeodolomiti.it/alleghe-webcam.html
latest report
Quote:

hors Piste
@Ouch!, I know exactly what you mean. I'm 61 and i've been going since I was 51 and exactly like yerself I don't think i've missed a year since . . . infact I've been doing twice and sometimes thrice each fecking winter since!!!

Afraid the addiction carries on till 71 and beyond.
snow conditions
First day skiing passo tonale. Awesome piste conditions. Fantastic skiing. Fully open.
snow conditions
Glorious day in the Dolomites. Skiied to Santa Croce from Selva. Blue skies, sunshine and great snow. Lower slopes are a bit thin and hard especially in the afternoons.Santa Croce was just fabulous. Perfect conditions, a gorgeous little church that you can go into in ski boots and delicious lunch outside in the sun. Does it get better? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dippdydoodogg, sounds great. Are they still running the cannons overnight to freshen things up?
snow conditions
Yes they are. You get a surprise shower the odd time.
ski holidays
Cheers@dippdydoodogg,
snow report
Here in Madonna the skies are blue and the pistes holding up well . Have no idea about when it will snow next but as a first time visitor I do like it here!
ski holidays
@cameron philips - the initial appraisal of that photo is correct. It's partly frozen and it's like that most of the season as the water at the top end of the lake is moving too much for it to freeze over. The reservoirs they use for the cannons are up the mountain otherwise they'd spend a lot of money on electricity pumping it up there! Alleghe is pretty low and the home run will be pretty icy and unpleasant due to the lack of snow. Much better to jump on the gondola back down especially if you're either not happy on steep narrow icy reds, or not happy dodging people who are not happy on steep icy reds Toofy Grin
snow report
Madonna today and tomorrow. Piste skiing is fantastic to be fair. Excellent work.
ski holidays
Heading to Madonna in thursday so hoping the slopes hold up. Is the snow all man made or a mixture? .
snow conditions
@scotspikey, Very Happy Driving down on Friday
latest report
bump. going out to Arabba this weekend and would love to get an update. Puzzled
snow conditions
@timmythedog - planning to be in Madonna in March with some beginner skiers - how are the nursery slopes looking? worried that if they don't get more snow in Feb might be very icy and sparse in March for beginners.
ski holidays
Just had a call from son Jon, who was skiing Black 25 (not 35 as I misheard. Above Marilleva) at the time in Madonna. he reports that the temperature is -6 and the weather lovely. The snow is good but can be thin and icy lower down. Most things are open and he is having a ball. Hope this helps.

@Simone, March is a very long way away. I am off with the bash on Saturday, and the forecast in full of uncertainties. Plenty of time for snow before then! Last time I was that way was in late May 2014 - and it snowed!

snowHead

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 20-01-16 13:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Antyone about for a ski on Saturday. I'm skiing Folgaria Friday afternoon and then looking for a ski somewhere Sat. Staying in Bolzano Friday night before joining the alleghe group.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy