Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2023/2024

Poster: A snowHead
Good trip over today and no delays apart from maybe half an hour or so at Chambery airport due to volume of incoming flights.

Just about zero degrees on arrival in Plagne Villages around 8pm and then enjoyed a really nice dinner at Le Chairlift restaurant.

All systems go for the morning and looking forward to exploring what for us is a totally new ski area.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi folks. We've booked very last minute for a week in Arc 1950, arriving 30/3.

Does anyone have any recommendations for private lessons for my 2 youngest daughters (12 & 10). Looking, ideally, for 2 x 1/2 days on the Sunday and Monday to help them get their ski legs back. Can't find any availability on the ESF website.

Both have skied between 5 and 7 weeks so are competent on blues and reds but still need some pointers.

TIA
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lovely on piste conditions today due to light snow virtually all day and also no queues worth mentioning.

Perfect day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another glorious day along with great on piste conditions here in La Plagne. This makes it 3 in a row for us so feeling lucky so far.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ruswit wrote:
Anyone in the know about the plans for the rest of the bellecote glacier? I.e now the gondola is running are they planning on linking up any of the old pistes with chairlifts to the new station?

Feels strange to have lost skiable pistes with the new gondola. Especially when it's hot and slushy and most people are cramped onto the one red.

I spoke to a liftie last year about it - she was working on the old rickety chair that took you over from the top station to the north.

She said it was being closed off completely and with a raised eyebrow we had a chat. A cynic might say it was a bit late to be really concerned about the glacier, and that the new lift was to be able to get a ton more skiers up there instead.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ruswit wrote:
Anyone in the know about the plans for the rest of the bellecote glacier? I.e now the gondola is running are they planning on linking up any of the old pistes with chairlifts

Read somewhere (can't remember where) that any further development in that area is no longer possible, due to being in the Champagny le Haut/Vanoise national park sector.

However if you're prepared to skin/boot it, it does mean that there's going to be a lot of terrain which will not get immediately tracked out
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SAP (the La Plagne lift company) do not hold any permissions or licences to expand the ski area. The last license was for the Valley that the Etroits black runs through, SAP handed the licence back as avalanche prevention would make the valley too expensive to exploit.
However, this hasn't stopped the continuous almost non stop construction of new blocks of apartments! Many more skiers no new pistes...
The last new piste to be 'built' was Derochoir back in 2010. https://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Pistes3.htm
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@boredsurfin, I think you flag an incredibly pertinent point here. I’ve been coming to La Plagne for 10+ years and have really noticed the change in how busy it is as a resort. In addition to the extra accommodation, you’ve also got the added pull of a high altitude resort when many lower altitude resorts are suffering year on year with increasingly poor snow. I’m sure when I first started coming to La Plagne the average occupancy rates of accommodation was much lower than it is now, combined with the extra accommodation has equalled a massive increase in visitors. I’d love to see some data on number of lift passes sold over the last 10 years or so to validate this experience.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On Thursday afternoon we rocked up at the Roc des Blanchets for our vins chaud of the day.

Four Brits were just leaving so we took over their places at one of the perches. They seemed surprisingly coherent!

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Woke up to light snow this morning and forecast to continue all day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chopkins13 wrote:
@boredsurfin, I think you flag an incredibly pertinent point here. I’ve been coming to La Plagne for 10+ years and have really noticed the change in how busy it is as a resort. In addition to the extra accommodation, you’ve also got the added pull of a high altitude resort when many lower altitude resorts are suffering year on year with increasingly poor snow. I’m sure when I first started coming to La Plagne the average occupancy rates of accommodation was much lower than it is now, combined with the extra accommodation has equalled a massive increase in visitors. I’d love to see some data on number of lift passes sold over the last 10 years or so to validate this experience.

To give an idea of lift pass sales, obviously SAP would never publish actuals, but to 'pay' for the new Montalbert Gondola the village was expected to add a minimum of 900 'hot' beds back in 2015. Goodness only knows what they would expect today.

Although I don't know any details a similar 'deal' was mooted for new lifts at Villaroger - I don't know what has happened over there but there was talk of all sorts of new development and opposed strongly by the locals.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@boredsurfin, That’s quite shocking isn’t it - 900 beds in such a small village? I wonder what % increase in Montalbert beds that represents?!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin wrote:
SAP (the La Plagne lift company) do not hold any permissions or licences to expand the ski area. The last license was for the Valley that the Etroits black runs through, SAP handed the licence back as avalanche prevention would make the valley too expensive to exploit.
However, this hasn't stopped the continuous almost non stop construction of new blocks of apartments! Many more skiers no new pistes...
The last new piste to be 'built' was Derochoir back in 2010. https://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Pistes3.htm

Would it be considered expanding the ski area if they're just linking up pistes + lifts that were operational only a year or 2 ago?

Currently the old gondola station and a chair lift are still there, I wonder if they'll be removed then.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For the avoidance of doubt Etroits is at the other end of the ski area from the glacier. However, whilst I was on the Chalet Bellcotte chairlift a couple of weeks ago I was speaking to a French chap who told me that they had tried to sell the chairlift on the glacier, but it hadn't gone ahead and it would essentially be left in place until it was sold and removed at that point, not sure how much of that was locals gossip but it made sense, and yes, the old gondola terminus is an eyesore.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevew wrote:
For the avoidance of doubt Etroits is at the other end of the ski area from the glacier. However, whilst I was on the Chalet Bellcotte chairlift a couple of weeks ago I was speaking to a French chap who told me that they had tried to sell the chairlift on the glacier, but it hadn't gone ahead and it would essentially be left in place until it was sold and removed at that point, not sure how much of that was locals gossip but it made sense, and yes, the old gondola terminus is an eyesore.

That part is well understood, was mainly a question about why they'd need permission to "expand" on the glacier given that they were already operating lifts and pistes and have in fact reduced their number of pistes on the mountain (environmental reasons aside, of course). It would be closer to maintaining the status quo. I do also completely understand that their licence agreement could have changed in a recent "refresh" or simply local government pressures mean they can't operate there anymore.

Lining up with what others have said about La Plagne feeling busier and busier, this specific area has been made more accessible which is good in some aspects as the views are stunning so more people will be able to experience them, but the potential number of skiers will have increased with the new gondola being faster and having larger cabins, and 2 pistes have been removed which seems to only spell 1 thing in terms of crowds there. The area used to also have warnings on piste maps and at the bottom of lifts about how it was for advanced skiers only, which I imagine must have dissuaded some from heading up back in the day.
ski holidays
Ruswit wrote:
The area used to also have warnings on piste maps and at the bottom of lifts about how it was for advanced skiers only, which I imagine must have dissuaded some from heading up back in the day.

Yes, I noticed that had gone as well, but the "nasty" turn on the track part of red has now been smoothed out, or at least was when I was there, and of course the main red down form the old gondola station was never really a red anyway in my view Toofy Grin
snow report
I haven't 'bothered' to go up to the glacier in the last few seasons as it took so long to get there and then only a small choice of pistes when you got there and then having to get the lift back down as Derochoir inevitably closed.
Sounds like there is even less to 'do' up there now - apart from North face of Bellecote Toofy Grin
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
I haven't 'bothered' to go up to the glacier in the last few seasons as it took so long to get there and then only a small choice of pistes when you got there and then having to get the lift back down as Derochoir inevitably closed.
Sounds like there is even less to 'do' up there now - apart from North face of Bellecote Toofy Grin

Indeed and likewise until the last trip. The new gondola is very fast and the uplift back up to the top of the Roche de Mio is < 5mins so it makes it more worth doing. There were some quite big queues early in the week so I avoided but just walked straight on on the Saturday at then end of the trip.
snow conditions
But what an amazing day today.
At 7am the sky was clear blue with lovely sunrise. 8am a blizzard. I walked to get croissants thro 5cm snow and rising. A lorry just outside was lucky to get back on the main road. We had a super ski in driving snow and variable visibility. Then this afternoon it all cleared. The sun came out. All the snow on roads and pavements - at least 10cm of it - has disappeared. And sunset, like the earlier sunrise, is in a clear blue sky.
Only snow in the trees just above us suggests anything special happened today at all.
snow report
Found a couple of quiet spots today which were absolutely amazing in the fresh snow.

As I’m still learning the area it’s great fun to keep exploring so we were over on the Champagny side and using the Borseliers lift quite a bit today.

Ended the day by coming down Rochette at the side of the Funiplagne gondola and then cutting across to get to our hotel in Plagne Villages.

Overall La Plagne is great fun but you do need to think smart to get away from the crowds as certain pistes are definitely overcrowded.
ski holidays
Main shop done and relaxing at the hotel down in (incredibly warm) Albertville. Trying not to panic too much at the various weather forecasts (keep going until you find one you like right?) Very Happy
snow report
2009:

2024:

Spot the difference.

Hint: that's the same jacket (and poles, although they have been modified)!
ski holidays
Decided to give it a miss today due to the wind, warmer temperatures and also due to the fact we hadn’t already paid for the lift passes.

All in all a great ski trip and we were so lucky with the combination of fresh snow and blue skies throughout the week.
latest report
Yesterday I went back to training. Due to the high winds in the morning, no Blanchets for 95% of the day. I had a difficult but decent training. In the end I was glad I did not quit earlier on. Snow was soft so lovely on the slopes but not my best friend for GS. The afternoon started off similarly, untill winds started peaking. Everyone, children and adults, on Col de Forcle were hyperfocused on trying to follow the track of the drag lift as winds kept pushing you towards the right. A couple of people ended up on the ground and even against the orange cushions of the pylônes. That was the moment to get the gates out asap and quit for the day. In the end, a little after 4pm all chairlifts in the Bellecôte area had stopped turning so lots of people waiting for the bus. Col de Forcle kept on turning for the diehards.
Today winds might be even more impressive. I'll have a day off, so would love to go out and enjoy a lovely day. Wait and see how it turns out Smile
snow report
Well, despite gloomy dark clouds, this morning and early afternoon were rather pleasant.
Few people out. Martzolf down to La Roche empty and covered in gorgeous sugar. Then an enjoyable ski down to Montalbert. Again quite empty until the final white strip where a ski school appeared (on a Saturday?).
A few people on Becoin but everyone very careful - no bombers.
All Plagne Centre lifts quiet. I was in before the rain started. A most enjoyable day.
So, for those out this week the slopes are (mostly) fine. You just might need the occasional umbrella.
ski holidays
Hi all, had such a great time we’re already thinking of heading back next season so was just wondering about any reduced prices for lift passes and the best time to buy ?

We'd probably be looking at 14th December 2024 for a week.

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
Just a bit of info on lift passes from us in case anyone is interested.

We visited the lift pass office in Plagne Villages on our first morning and just bought a pass for the day. We were then able to top that up online each morning which only took a matter of seconds. Main reason for doing this was my son wasn’t feeling great due to a a cold and so it seemed wise to wait and see if he was fit to ski each day. Also if we decided we wanted a whole area pass then we could have bought that just for the required day(s).

As it turned out we bought the 4 hour pass on a couple of days and then decided to miss the final day completely as it was windy.

Incidentally once you have the lift pass card it’s then valid for 5 years so you can easily top up online on subsequent visits as well.

The lift pass office also told us about three Coolski beginner areas that are free to use. One button lift near the lift pass office in Plagne Villages, the drag rope opposite our accommodation Le Front De Neige (also good for anyone in Plagne Soleil) and also the covered travelator in Plagne Centre. There may be more elsewhere but we didn’t ask so not sure about that.
latest report
Jammy 07 wrote:
Just a bit of info on lift passes from us in case anyone is interested.....
Incidentally once you have the lift pass card it’s then valid for 5 years so you can easily top up online on subsequent visits as well...
There are 2 lift pass system manufacturers Europe wide : TeamAxess & SkiData, so once you've got one of each type you can use them in any other resort too.

I was using my skiData card (bought in Saalbach) in the Maurienne valley a couple of weeks ago, and my Axess card from La Plagne in Norway last year.

AFAIK there's no time limit - you just need to enter the relevant code if booking online, or just take the pass to the lift office to top up
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi All

We are doing a last minute trip to La Plagne - arriving on Sunday 14th April for a week.

What are we likely to experience in terms of crowds? I know that the Tarantaise resorts have been busy this winter due to poor snow in lower resorts. Are we likely to experience hoards this late in the season?

I also see the weather has been all over the place lately - Plagne Centre still seems to have a snow depth of around 135cm so not too bad. We are staying in Aime La Plagne so a little higher. Hoping we are alright for snow.

Regards
latest report
@Griggs, in general in that week: no hoards. It should be relatively calm. Excellent time to ski and enjoy an end of season trip. A lot of people stop skiing before you come. Some hotels and restaurants will also be closed (for ex Carlina is closing next weekend if I heard correctly)
This year is a bit special : that week, La Plagne will organise the Challenge des Moniteurs so instructors from all over France are coming to La Plagne to compete
latest report
Griggs wrote:
... We are staying in Aime La Plagne ...
Hopefully you mean Aime 2000? Aime La Plague generally refers to the train station down in the valley Very Happy
snow report
What a day! The rain on the chalet roof was so intense it woke me up at 3am I drifted back to sleep thinking if that was snow falling it would be brilliant.
Got up at 08:00 to find snow in the village but +2C on the balcony. First few runs were in lovely powder and sunshine I think around 10 inches had fallen at 2000m
But 11.30 the clouds rolled in and then heavy English snow set in - not good when dressed for spring sunshine and no low light lenses - early lunch then out came the sunshine but by 1:00pm it was heavy snow and low light again 1.45 headed for home wet through lower half from wet chairlift seats and spring skiing trousers.
Should know better but need to check more than one forecast for the day ahead! snowHead
latest report
Yep Aime 2000 !
latest report
Yes, @boredsurfin, the weather did change dramatically yesterday - blue sky and sunshine one minute, a blizzard the next ( no rain up here). Very glad of my hood. Had to shelter in restaurant more than once. Tricky snow below Plagne Centre/ Bellecote, but quite lovely above.
And now it's snowing again. Trees all white, even lying in the quieter roads. Another fun day snowHead
latest report
Woke up to another overnight snowfall! Found some lovely powder above Plagne Villages and over around Dos Rond and lots of sunshine and the occasional cloud
ski holidays
Yep, what a day. Had some great snow dropping off the traverse from Roche de mio on the Champagny side. Surprisingly not too tracked out. We’ve lucked out this week!
snow conditions
Sounds like there was a nasty road accident this morning on the road underneath Bergerie lift? Possible fatality.
snow conditions
@chopkins13, Sadly car v. truck https://www.ledauphine.com/savoie

"This Thursday, April 4 at 8:26 a.m., a dramatic traffic accident occurred on RD 223, between Plagne Centre and Plagne Soleil, in the municipality of Plagne. A car and a truck violently collided. A rescue operation involving firefighters, gendarmes, a crew of the Smur and the Samu helicopter was triggered.The driver of the truck came out unscathed. But inside the car in which three people were, a 24-year-old woman did not survive the shock. She was declared dead on the spot by the Samu doctor. The victim was a seasonal worker who worked in the La Bergerie establishment. The other two people, two women, were slightly injured."
snow report
Oh no - that sounds awful . That poor woman .
ski holidays
Horrible stuff. A stark reminder of how dangerous even seemingly benign roads can be.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy