Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2023/2024

Poster: A snowHead
Have they run out now apart from April ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yikes.. they really were limited quantity!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@boredsurfin, they can rename Cornegidouille all they want but that bottom section down to La Roche will forever be an icy death trap for many! Far too narrow for such a busy and important link (particularly when Envers inevitably breaks down!)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chopkins13, Yep, Cornydogwheel is always dreadful.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Cheers @boredsurfin for posting, really interesting. I wonder if that means the glacier will be open more now, I assume so.

Good question, the main reason as I understand it, is a helicopter has to be able to do medivac off the Glacier as there is no road access . So if a Heli cant fly the glacier stays shut.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So have they replaced the glacier lift from Roche de Mio with a new one yet? Or is it still the ancient and slow one running for now?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@chopkins13, The new glacier lift should be in operation this coming season.

You can see the start of it on the Roche de Mio webcam (at least when the snow and cloud clears) It is to the left of the existing Bellecote to Roche de Mio gondola building.
https://www.la-plagne.com/decouvrir-la-plagne/domaine-skiable/webcams/roche-de-mio

It looks like construction work is well under way for the new Bellecote to Roche de Mio gondola. There is new construction work happening between the top of the Inversens and Carella lift at Roche de Mio which I assume is part of the new gondola. Also there is major construction work happening just above Plagne Bellecote which I assume is also part of it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skichampcouk, the work up at Roche de Mio by the top of Carella is hopeful, but the new Gondola from Bellecote was meant to go via Col de Forcle reservoir (see here), and nothing seems to be happening over there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi @Jonpim,
Thanks for that info. It looks like the construction next to the Carella lift is facing in the general direction of Col de Forcle so hopefully that is part of the first stage of construction work for the new gondola from Bellecote.

Do you know what is being built in Bellecote?
If you look on the Plagne Bellecote webcam, to the right of le Bonnet, there is a large area where constrction work is happening.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skichampcouk wrote:
Hi @Jonpim, Do you know what is being built in Bellecote?
If you look on the Plagne Bellecote webcam, to the right of le Bonnet, there is a large area where constrction work is happening.

As far as I know, it's a new luxury hotel, Le Chalet des Mouton. They started basement last season: https://www.laplagne-tarentaise.fr/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Appel_projets_chalet_moutons_RC__V2.pdf
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, thierryd, we were looking at the earthworks back in July, and there was a sign mentioning a hotel.
But buggar-all seems to be going since.
A bit like the hotel near boredsurfin in Montalbert.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim wrote:
@skichampcouk, the work up at Roche de Mio by the top of Carella is hopeful, but the new Gondola from Bellecote was meant to go via Col de Forcle reservoir (see here), and nothing seems to be happening over there.

So is the plan for a gondola from Bellecote to Belle Plagne (which stops there) - and then a separate gondola from Bellecote to Roche de Mio, with an mid-way station at Col de Forcle?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Handy Turnip, that does indeed seem to be the plan . . .
There is a video somewhere (can't find it just now) of what the Col de Forcle set-up might look like.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Handy Turnip, And don’t forget that the French changed the law so that new lifts can’t go through buildings so any new link to Belle Plagne will have to have a new separate station away from the main centre of the village - far from ideal
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39473

I just found an article about the new gondola up to Roche de Mio on a ski-lift forum

Not sure how accurate it is or who Tony Savoyard is but worth a look
ski holidays
skichampcouk, well done on finding that.
And more stuff on the Facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/PERSoLAPLAGNE

Also must be good news that the snow is still there right down to the Bergerie (webcam)
There has been discussion on the Weather thread that after the hot summer it would take ages for the ground to cool down and not melt any snow.
snow conditions
Promising forecast for beginning November from MeteoFrance:
https://meteofrance.com/meteo-montagne/la-plagne-2000-m/731502

And round here huge amounts of chestnuts and hazelnuts.
Even lots of berries on the holley bushes.
Might mean something for the coming winter . . . ?
latest report
And plenty of snow forecast on snow-forecast.com in the next week. The long range meteofrance forecast shows 11 days of precipitation in Champagny from next Thursday and cooler temperatures so let's hope that happens.

Looking on the Roche de Mio webcam it looks like they are testing new cabins on the new gondola up to the glacier.
ski holidays
@skichampcouk, just found your post.
Tried to see the new cabins being tested, but can't coz it's all cloudy and snowing snowHead
https://www.la-plagne.com/decouvrir-la-plagne/domaine-skiable/webcams/roche-de-mio
ski holidays
Snow on Fornelet already!
https://app.webcam-hd.com/webcam-station-la-plagne/webcam-montalbert-fornelet
snow report
Just ambling around the Interweb when came across the Press Room:
https://www.presse-laplagne.com/en/key-information/new-this-winter/

Some interesting stuff.

And a rather lovely picture of what it might look like at the top of the new gondola:
latest report
@Jonpim, Twenty six million Euro's !!
snow report
boredsurfin, I missed that.
As expensive as HS2? Money/metre - a lot of dosh.
snow report
@Jonpim, I guess we pay for it through our passes!
Quote:
Les Glaciers gondola in numbers
- 10-seat cabins
- ascent time: 10 min
- flow: 2,700 people / hour
- altitude bottom station (Roche de Mio): 2 715 m
- altitude top station: 3 080 m
- total investment: 26M€
- constructors: Pomagalski and Ingelo
snow report
More snow at Fornelet today snowHead
https://app.webcam-hd.com/webcam-station-la-plagne/webcam-montalbert-fornelet
ski holidays
Wow! Looks so much better than yesterday.
And if you look on the Montalbert evening image, just before it got dark, you can see the snow starting to creep down the mountain into view snowHead .
snow conditions
It'll be raining next week Laughing
latest report
We are staying in MMV Hotel Plagne 2000, Plagne Aime 2000. Please recommend the nearest Ski Hire shop for this hotel. Looks like 2 Skiset shops, which is the best option for us? Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonpim, There was snow on our roof this morning snowHead Soon melted 'tho

Layne, "If its raining in the Valley its snowing on the Mountain" snowHead

MikeH Sorry no idea
snow report
Mike_H wrote:
We are staying in MMV Hotel Plagne 2000, Plagne Aime 2000. Please recommend the nearest Ski Hire shop for this hotel. Looks like 2 Skiset shops, which is the best option for us? Thanks

The one in Hauts Bois is closer to you, but still a bit of a trek up the hill (on foot anyway) and much smaller. I would say the "main" one is the one in Aime 2000 itself (which is the one we've been using for years now - no complaints.)
snow report
boredsurfin, snow finally made it down to your front door snowHead
https://app.webcam-hd.com/webcam-station-la-plagne/montalbert
snow report
@Jonpim, yep
latest report
@Mike_H, I stayed at MMV 2000 a few years ago. There was a ski hire shop in the boot room. I can't recall which hire company ran it though.
latest report
No first track for me this season looks like someone has beaten me to it snowHead

snow report
The swine! Toofy Grin
Conditions down your way not quite as lovely as they were yesterday morning.
snow conditions
Jonpim, Finally found this! Clearly I haven't updated since Covid .... Interesting all the same, I feel its worth re-posting

Quote:
Here are the dates of the first natural snowfall in MONTALBERT (1350m) of each season for the last 13 years.

2005/2006 28th November
2006/2007 22nd November
2007/2008 7th November
2008/2009 29th October
2009/2010 08th November
2010/2011 16th November
2011/2012 05th December
2012/2013 28thOctober
2013/2014 10th November
2014/2015 9th December
2015/2016 21st November
2016/2017 9th November
2017/2018 8th November

2022/2023 23rd November
2023/2024 9th November (followed by torrential rain storm)

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 15-11-23 18:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Jonpim, Finally found this! Clearly I haven't updated since Covid .... Interesting all the same, I feel its worth re-posting

Quote:
Here are the dates of the first natural snowfall in MONTALBERT (1350m) of each season for the last 13 years.

2005/2006 28th November
2006/2007 22nd November
2007/2008 7th November
2008/2009 29th October
2009/2010 08th November
2010/2011 16th November
2011/2012 05th December
2012/2013 28thOctober
2013/2014 10th November
2014/2015 9th December
2015/2016 21st November
2016/2017 9th November
2017/2018 8th November

2022/2023 23rd November
2023/2024 9th November

Average first-snowfall date of Nov 15.

Snow has arrived early this year.
ski holidays
Interesting list boredsurfin.
Especially as one of the best seasons (if not the actual best) was 2011/12 when the snow didn't arrive until December 5th, but then then it just kept on coming.
We got really fit digging the car out every day - sometimes twice a day.
snow conditions
You can see the new gondola running on the Roche de Mio webcam today
Click on the cross (lower left side) to get the live view.
snow report
And they've removed the camera icon that used to be at the top of the Glacier gondola
https://www.la-plagne.com/decouvrir-la-plagne/domaine-skiable/webcams
It hadn't been delivering any pictures since last season. But now would be nice to get pics from the top of the new gondola.

I wonder how long it takes to drive a car all the way up to Roche de Mio . . . ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy