Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2023/2024

Poster: A snowHead
A bit warm on the south facing balcony this lunchtime!

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can anyone give any advice or an opinion on early season skiing in La Plagne please.

Obviously no one knows what will happen snow wise but we’re thinking of 14th December and have been lucky that week the last two seasons in Italy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jammy 07, I've been that early before. Would be fine. It's opening week - slopes would be nice and quiet.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:
@Jammy 07, I've been that early before. Would be fine. It's opening week - slopes would be nice and quiet.

Thanks for that.

Do you happen to know if there are any online ski pass offers between now and when we’re planning on going ?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 8-04-24 16:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jammy 07 wrote:
Do you happen to know if there are any online ski pass offers between now when we’re planning on going ?

Opening week is usually a bit cheaper yes. See this years prices - page 5.

Also, if you book accommodation through tourist information or agency you may get discount. Or Sunweb/Snowtrex do inclusive accommodation/lift pass deals.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
until when are they open this season?
Next season Easter is at 20.April. That means they will let it open till 27 ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@turms2, https://en.la-plagne.com/opening-dates
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonpim wrote:
@turms2, https://en.la-plagne.com/opening-dates

thanks. Thats good. Means that next winter they will also stay till the End of April
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, we had a fantastic week of skiing in La Plagne last week, but I've got a question for you all. Why are the picnic facilities on the slopes so poor? Apart from at Live3000, there seems to be just the occasional single picnic table here and there.

I saw one family in the outside section of the Grande Rochette restaurant order chips and drinks, then eat their own sarnies with it. Is this allowed/normal?

Les Arcs really puts La Plagne to shame in this respect. They have massive purpose built picnc areas all over.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arriving in La Plagne this Sunday for a week. Staying at Aime 2000 - how is the snow generally across the resort? Looks to be a reasonable amount still open, but more on the Les Arcs side so am hoping to nip across the VE for a day or two of skiing on t'other side.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We struggled to find any indoor ones. Three Valleys also better provision in this regard.
We found a bunch of brits sat in the commercial centre at Plagne Centre, not the nicest of surroundings but on a snowy/wet day there are seats and radiators to pop your gloves on to dry a bit while your work your jaw out on a bit of baguette!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@aterlevich, being brown baggers picnic facilities are a real interest of ours.

Going back more than a decade (from memory) there was nothing doing and you had to sit on a rock. If it was snowing you had to take shelter in a lift station, lift pass office, shopping centre - whatever you could find.

Then outdoor picnic benches started to appear! And then some indoor picnic huts. The latter can be a godsend when the weather is bad. But it's quite sporadic. It seems when they build new larger facilities now they often incorporate a picnic hut - at the top of Vallandry for example.

In Les Arcs indoor wise as well as the Vallandry one there is one at 1950. Are there other indoor ones? Some of the outdoor ones are quite extensive.

In La Plagne there is an indoor at Les Coches and above the Champagny cable car and then you are reliant on the outdoor benches of which there are few.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We were in La plagne last week. The snow was great. There was afternoon slush bumps in the usual places (especially to the right of Belle Plagne down to Bellecote) on the warmer days, but overall it was excellent, and we were able to ski pistes that had been closed the previous Easter, such as the reds down to La Roche.

There is an indoor picnic room at the top of the Melezes chair, on the piste between the UCPA and Bergerie lift - we haven't used it, preferring to find a sheltered spot in the snow at the edge of the piste or somewhere with a nice view. We've seen people eating lunch in little sun traps at the edge of the Geisha piste, over the Champagny side, or under the trees around Pierres Blanche piste area or Plan Bois when it is very sunny. One day we ate near the frozen/snowed over lake at the top of the Blanchets lift. The piste map shows picnic tables, except we couldn't find any when we got there, so we just walked/skated a little round to the left and found a lovely quiet spot to eat.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jilly wrote:
There is an indoor picnic room at the top of the Melezes chair, on the piste between the UCPA and Bergerie lift

Never knew of that one - will have to check it out.

jilly wrote:
One day we ate near the frozen/snowed over lake at the top of the Blanchets lift. The piste map shows picnic tables, except we couldn't find any when we got there, so we just walked/skated a little round to the left and found a lovely quiet spot to eat.

Yeah, it's a bit and miss I find - sometimes they go, sometimes you find a table where you weren't expecting it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice one in Les Menuires, Masse 1 Base station. Microwave, sinks, vending machines and everything.. Luxury compared to La Plagne.
snow report
La Plagne has a few indoor picnic centres but they are not well signposted. Probably because La Plagne has more on piste restaurants than Les Arcs.
@Thick As, The one in Champagny has all that, the one on Plagne Centre has a couple of vending machines - I cant remember if there is a microwave, the one in Montachavin has a Microwave
There are outdoor picnic areas equipped with benches and Wifi the latest being next to the 360 Restaurant at Fornelet. Again not signposted very well.

But yes awful place best not ski there at all ..... leaves space for the rest of us Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
Well, what a marvelous last week for anyone still there
https://www.la-plagne.com/decouvrir-la-plagne/domaine-skiable/webcams/bergerie

And to think it was not so long ago there was serious concern about whether there would be any snow for Easter.
Intead, rather like last year, winter returned in April.
There is even snow on the ground right down to Montalbert and Montchavin.
Wonderful. Unfortunately we are back in UK. So it goes.
Best wishes to anyone still out there.
latest report
The past week I went back to GS training, with a lot of april snowy periods.
Sunday was sunny and warm.
Monday morning at 9am we had a rain shower, afternoon conditions were a mix of the slush of sunday afternoon gotten even more wet through the weather that morning.
Tuesday was snowy if I recall correctly.
Wednesday and thursday had a layer of 5-10 cm snow on top of truly hardpacked conditions, ideal for training.
Most of the attention this week was on the Challenge des Moniteurs, with the grand finale today.
Personally, I left La Plagne today after my 3rd and last winter season there. I hope you all had a wonderful season. I'm happy with all the lessons learnt.
Before, I spent winter in the mountains and summer in my home country, from now on I'll be living in France year round in the home resort of my fiancé, Valloire. As there are really great coaches, teknski, in La Plagne for giant slalom and slalom at any ski level, we'll continue to visit La Plagne occasionally the following seasons.
Have a lovely end of winter / summer season !
ski holidays
@JulieAimeLeSki, thanks for all your updates and reports this season - enjoy your Summer!
ski holidays
Hi all,

Does anyone happen to know the Ben's Bus timetable on a Saturday from Geneva Airport please ?

Have checked on their website and whilst it states in 2024/25 they will run 5 buses a day same as this season when clicking on the link for the timetable I'm not getting anything. Their online booking portal will open in August but would like to get flights booked before then if possible.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
@Jammy 07, I seem to recall the same question in the past, best I can think is book based on this season and hope for the best. I assume you have e-mailed them to ask?
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
@Jammy 07, I seem to recall the same question in the past, best I can think is book based on this season and hope for the best. I assume you have e-mailed them to ask?

Thanks for the response and the website says same times as this year but can’t seem to see the times anywhere.

Haven’t emailed yet so will do if no joy on here.
latest report
JulieAimeLeSki wrote:

Personally, I left La Plagne today after my 3rd and last winter season there. I hope you all had a wonderful season. I'm happy with all the lessons learnt.
Before, I spent winter in the mountains and summer in my home country, from now on I'll be living in France year round in the home resort of my fiancé, Valloire. As there are really great coaches, teknski, in La Plagne for giant slalom and slalom at any ski level, we'll continue to visit La Plagne occasionally the following seasons.
Have a lovely end of winter / summer season !

Congrats Julie for the D.E. (i saw the picture today) !
latest report
@thierryd, haha thank you, that's very kind and wonderful to send the message here Smile
snow report
Could anyone recommend a taxi firm for a Grenoble to La Plagne transfer please.

Some decent price flights available but Ben's Bus don't run all the way from Grenoble and only drop you in Aime.

Also still looking for bus times from Geneva as Ben's Bus are not answering emails throughout April and May due to them having a well earned break.
snow conditions
@Jammy 07, We used SkiCab this year for Grenoble to Belle Plagne and found them reliable.
snow report
chopkins13 wrote:
@Jammy 07, We used SkiCab this year for Grenoble to Belle Plagne and found them reliable.

Many thanks and I'll contact them for a quote.

In the meantime if you could share a rough idea of the costs involved for a return trip that would help with the planning.
ski holidays
chopkins13 wrote:

The online quote is 950 euros return so how does that compare to when you used SkiCab if you wouldn't mind sharing please ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jammy 07, Our original booking was from/to Chambery and cost about €650. However we were diverted to Grenoble on the way out and were charged an extra €120 by Skicab for the pick up from there. So if you double that and add it on to the €650, your quote isn’t a million miles away. We were a group of six. In my experience transfers are very expensive in the Alps, often it is much cheaper to hire a car and drive yourself if there is only 4 of you. We have done this many times and only went with a transfer this year as we were a group of six with only one amongst us who is comfortable driving abroad/up an Alp!
latest report
chopkins13 wrote:
@Jammy 07, Our original booking was from/to Chambery and cost about €650. However we were diverted to Grenoble on the way out and were charged an extra €120 by Skicab for the pick up from there. So if you double that and add it on to the €650, your quote isn’t a million miles away. We were a group of six. In my experience transfers are very expensive in the Alps, often it is much cheaper to hire a car and drive yourself if there is only 4 of you. We have done this many times and only went with a transfer this year as we were a group of six with only one amongst us who is comfortable driving abroad/up an Alp!

Many thanks for the information and advice Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy