Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 23/24 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Currently raining at 2000m in Les Contamines - expected to continue overnight and through to mid morning tomorrow.

Slopes below 1600 are a mess today. Not looking good here for the tail end of the season.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@7ncj, from my personal experience it's a place best enjoyed in January to mid-March for all that Arlberg is able to offer.
It's a good thing you are alert for local snow conditions.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was +20c at 1500m today in NW Italy.

The next week will remain tropical.

Some models currently suggest 50-150cm of fresh snowfall coming to the European Alps in a couple weeks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And looking colder just in time for Easter let’s hope this forecast sticks instead of the usual flip flopping then vanishing altogether!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Watching with interest! Off to Val d'isere next Saturday!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:
It was +20c at 1500m today in NW Italy.

The next week will remain tropical.

Some models currently suggest 50-150cm of fresh snowfall coming to the European Alps in a couple weeks.

A forecast +11c in La Thuile next week.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It was +11C in Zermatt today and the lower slopes became a mess by late morning. That said there's still some good powder to be found above 2000m.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zero iso next week looks set to top 3000m -- at night.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very early days but a bit of a change with a northerly has started cropping up on the last few GFS runs for next weekend , will be interesting if it persists .
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A few of the models are showing a cool-down next weekend. For the sake of everyone going to the Alps for Easter let's hope so (and for the Scottish centres that have been hanging on by their fingernails these last weeks). It certainly looks like there's a good chance.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pavlf wrote:
A few of the models are showing a cool-down next weekend. For the sake of everyone going to the Alps for Easter let's hope so (and for the Scottish centres that have been hanging on by their fingernails these last weeks). It certainly looks like there's a good chance.

From next Saturday, looks very promising:
https://meteofrance.com/meteo-montagne/avoriaz/741911
https://www.bergfex.com/sommer/mayrhofen-zillertal/wetter/berg/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowing right now in St Christoph, expected to continue tomorrow. Conditions today have been ok, some flat light and wet snow down towards the resort but a good day all in all.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mid to heavy rain in parts of France tonight, such as Le Corbier, up to 2000-2500m.

Backend of this upcoming week looks like it could hit double-digits +10c at 1500m in NW Italy... at night.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bucketing rain in Argentiere this am Sad(

Snow forecast has the freezing line at 2450 this am falling slightly to 2300 this afternoon....

The avalanche cannons are firing, can't decide if I'll venture out here today at all or just continue on my journey to Cervinia....

I don't fancy getting soaked through before packing up later tbh..... decisions, decisions

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 18-03-24 12:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Raining in Serre Che, due to stop circa 11:00 - looking at altitude cams snow at 2,400 so not good for most of the resort, but think here has missed out on the longer duration / heavy rain.

Might go and fiddle setting up the road-bike in the garage as now looking like riding in the afternoon, ski-touring in the morning etc
ski holidays
Pouring diem in les gets as well. Kids all off to ski school but can see adults doing one run and hitting coffee shop. Supposed to brighten up this afternoon
snow report
@horgand, I was hoping to head up to Les Grands tomorrow and that it would be high enough to catch some nice snow up top... but I agree, it seems like this rain came in a bit warmer than expected.

If you do happen to make it to the slopes today and can provide an on-the-ground report of the snowline it would be much appreciated! Safe travels.
snow conditions
Huge drop in temps on the cards after next weekend...still too far away but hope of a decent Easter!

Meribel

St Anton

snow report
coldrainsnow wrote:
@horgand, I was hoping to head up to Les Grands tomorrow and that it would be high enough to catch some nice snow up top... but I agree, it seems like this rain came in a bit warmer than expected.

If you do happen to make it to the slopes today and can provide an on-the-ground report of the snowline it would be much appreciated! Safe travels.

Hi @coldrainsnow,

No unfortunately I won't get out on the mountain today as I'm getting a bus to cervinia at 1.30pm .

However, Greetings from a cafe in Chamonix Sud, where I can tell you it's stopped raining since circa 11am & is clearing nicely now so much so, it could be a good afternoon in sun. And IF there's fresh above ~2000m it might not be a bad day in Argentiere after all..... (nearly always beats a day at work anyways Wink )

Bon ski tomorrow!!!
snow conditions
The snow line in Les arcs is about 2300-2400m today. There have been snow flurries at Arc 2000 but it has quickly changed back to rain. Such a pity the temps aren’t a few degrees cooler as there has been a lot of precipitation.
latest report
snowymum wrote:
The snow line in Les arcs is about 2300-2400m today. There have been snow flurries at Arc 2000 but it has quickly changed back to rain. Such a pity the temps aren’t a few degrees cooler as there has been a lot of precipitation.

That’s the eternal story of snow lovers everywhere including the UK. “If only it was 3c colder with this precipitation” Sad
latest report
2023-2024 will go down in European history as "the rainy season".

Close to nonstop rain from Dec to Mar.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
Huge drop in temps on the cards after next weekend...still too far away but hope of a decent Easter!

Meribel

St Anton

Even non-hyperbolic MeteoFrance are forecasting the same. Meribel village altitude … +16c this Wednesday, circa 0c and snowing from Sunday.
ski holidays
The odds on a nice snowy Easter are looking a bit depressing.....
snow report
Next weekend people? Snow and cold appearing on the apps, any takers?
snow report
8611 wrote:
Next weekend people? Snow and cold appearing on the apps, any takers?

Next week and Easter weekend look promising to me
snow report
@Origen, why depressing? Spring powder is great!
snow report
Looking like a few forecasts agreeing on a sizeable drop in temperatures 23/24 March along with precipitation for a few days too. Also looks like the precipitation doesn’t start largely until the temps fall. I’m looking at northern French Alps but a very similar picture for further south.

All great news as flying out for a long weekend in Avoriaz on Friday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[b]@Origen[/b the forecast ahead of Easter looks good ?
latest report
I'm delighted to learn I was too pessimistic in envisaging spring rain, rather than spring powder! snowHead
snow report
Origen wrote:
I'm delighted to learn I was too pessimistic in envisaging spring rain, rather than spring powder! snowHead

Physically & metaphorically they're only separated by a couple of degrees!! ....
snow report
Henri has snow to very low on North side at least

https://wepowder.com/en/weblog/2024/03/18/snow-down-to-the-valleys-this-weekend

My skin in the game is on the South though. Come on the South!
snow conditions
I see snow forecasting sites and tools are up to the usual:

“30cm of snow next weekend….
…. Lol jokes, its actually 5cm”
ski holidays
Been watching the snow rapidly go to pot in ADH on the lowers resort slopes (Oz, Auris) on the webcams, hopefully the cold snap this weekend - when we arrive - isn't short-lived and combines with some snow falling.
Currently trying to work out if we need to bring polar expedition clothing or a canoe.... methinks both!! Very Happy
snow conditions
Given how hot it is across the Alps for the next four days - plus the forecast rain for Thursday - if it doesn't snow with the projected cool-down it's easy to suspect it might end up being rather icy in a lot of places. The temperature drop seems more or less nailed on at this stage (famous last words), but precipitation seems much less certain on both Thursday and Sunday.

Also wondering about packing!
ski holidays
@Specialman, Yes the Vallandry cam is also looking very green at moment - some snow to freshen up the return to village would be nice, but worst case will download
snow report
Quote:

Physically & metaphorically they're only separated by a couple of degrees!! ....

Physically separated by a couple of degrees. Metaphorically like fresh ice cubes in your gin and tonic versus half a glass of tap water.
snow report
@pavlf, I'm packing to ski in 15 degrees Friday and 1 degree Sunday at 1400m! so layers Smile
latest report
@kitenski, I think that's wise. Prepare for all eventualities - including the unprecedented
snow conditions
I suppose the predicted temps (which are routinely wrong in given valleys in my experience, I think its the thing the apps get the most wrong) are shade temps so assuming its clear it will be a lot warmer in the sun

Of course this could lead to more ice with freeze thaw cycles but at least it might be predictable in terms of hitting the slope shortly after the sun should give you good conditions, expecting hardpack / ice when something falls into the shade
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy