Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
@johnE, thanks. Good point about priority lanes, don't think about that
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I generally get aessentials season pass then only go to La Plagne once or twice, but the big reason for me is queue jumping.

Last season we also saved on the tickets to the shed at the top of the Varet telecabine, which is well worth a visit. IIRC there is also a discount on the luge track from the Col de Chal.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm heading to Arc2000 in Jan, I was hoping to book the new snow train, but opted for a flight from Brum, it just wasn't worth the additional cost & time to get to St.Pancras.

Few quick Q's if anyone can help:

Is it easy to travel around the areas by bus or pedestrian lifts? I.e Arc 2000 to 1800, 1600 or Vallandry by bus?

Are there any nurseries anyone can recommend for a 1 year old in Arc2000?

Thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dh900, busses are good between the villages (albeit to get from 2000 to 1800 requires a change at 1600 bus station) and are extended later in the evenings than previously. Thursday you can even get down to Bourg for dinner, and back via the funicular and thence to 2000. Free.

Pedestrian lift to 1950 is open late enough to eat / drink in either village and make it back to the other. You can also walk to Chalets d'Arcs, a slopeside restaurant up the hill from 2000.

For your little one, the Gardarie in 2000 when we looked (many many years ago) was not to our liking, and we chose not to use it: things may have changed.

But the 1950 one is excellent: https://en.lesarcs.com/childcare/yeti-club.... although they changed things around a couple of years ago, and their adverts for "9months-3 years' nursery" may be out of date. Best to phone.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin wrote:
@iainm, Can you include what people travelling to La Plagne have to do, previously you could get off the Train at Aime BUT had to board at Les Arcs (because there are no border facilities in Aime)

As far as we can tell, the passport stuff will be in Lille where you charge trains to / from what was called Thalys. So can't see why you can't get on at Aime, and then do your 'border thing' at Lille International.

But we too will be on that train iainm arriving on 16/12 for opening week.
Getting the standard Paris train route home on the Saturday 23rd tho.: travelling Christmas Eve when hosting family Christmas on the Monday not a smart move
Hope to catch up with people in the 2000 valley.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 23-10-23 18:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, at our train travel discussion at the London Show on Saturday, Guillaume from Travelski confirmed that the customs element will be in Lille on the return.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Arctic Roll, Good to hear about the bus links between the villages. Is it worth a trip down to Bourg? I've only ever changed transfer buses there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dh900 wrote:
Is it worth a trip down to Bourg? I've only ever changed transfer buses there.
I head down for grocery shopping, for the wider range and slightly better prices in the SuperU supermarket. But I'd not use the funicular and the resort shuttle buses to do that, only if I have a car with me. There are a number of restaurants and bars in Bourg, but no better than you'll find in Les Arcs so I'd not bother venturing down for apres ski activities.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dh900, I guess it depends how long you are staying: The advantage of Bourg is it is a 'proper' town, with real residents. And as a result, the restaurants' prices are geared for real people, not holiday makers, and they have a greater variety. It has cinema, pools, supermarkets, (and a weekly street market) the usual stuff of a provincial town. We like Bourg a lot, and certainly visit on numerous occasions when out for three+ weeks in the summer.

But if you are only there for a week, does this really matter to you when you've booked to be up a mountain, slopeside? IMHO the cost of your time in getting there and back doesn't outweigh the convenience of local food, local entertainment. Yes you pay a few more Euros: but it's a holiday not an exercise in thrift.

For those who are there for longe periods, or who are regular visitors, for sure, a change is a good as a rest. And of course, for some (for e.g. the Australians on this board) it IS different enough to be worth experiencing.

But for one week, 2000 and1950 will offer you the range and the opportunity for good - and great - evenings out, without having to shlep all the way to BsM.
I'd be willing to bet you don't even get to 1800 Smile (except during the day on skis)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Arctic Roll, thanks, I think we will swerve a visit to Bourg then, as it's only a week holiday. From what I have read 2000 & 1950 will be sufficient for a week.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Is it worth a trip down to Bourg? I've only ever changed transfer buses there

Yes, even if you just go down and back again. Sit in the front of the funicular and get a ride better than most amusement parks. I have a friend who did just that and thought it wondeful.

We sometimes go down with a couple big rucksacks and return with the delecacies you cannot get in the resort at the Super-U. The seafood counter alone is worth the visit, never mind the wines and stuff you rarely see in the UK (when was the last time you saw rabbit for sale in a UK supermarket?). I was just checking, but all my shoes for the last 2 years have been bought in the Intersport and a suprising amount of my clothing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quick q for the regulars: the ski passes that were announced last week - did anyone get a mahoosive discount? I've been looking online today, and it is still cheaper for me to use "Ski a la carte" for the first week of the season (when there's 0 point getting an 'Essentials' with no queues to jump and no Vanoise anyway), and that's including the €29 fee.

( and because we're travelling to different resorts this winter, no point in getting a season pass).

Just wondering if I missed a check-out code or something. Or if the really cheap deals had all been and gone.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Arctic Roll, Sorry, I'm going for an essentials season pass as it breaks even at only 13 days. Where else are you planning to go?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arctic Roll wrote:
(when there's 0 point getting an 'Essentials' with no queues to jump and no Vanoise anyway)
In the first week of the season I found the ability to skip most of the queue at the Varet and the Vagere pretty useful on the days when there was fresh snow. Queues had built up, fairly lengthy while we were waiting for the lift to first open, so getting ahead of the majority in the queue made it easier to get fresh tracks. I don’t think it’s a major benefit in that week, and if I was buying a 6-day pass I’d not go for the expensive option (is it even available for sale as the Vanoise isn’t open?), but I think the ability to queue skip that week has a larger value than 0.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Arctic Roll, if you fancy a drink on the 22nd; I should be in Les Arcs by then testing out my new knee and with less significance new skis.

My wife asks what run do I fancy doing first. I think Clocherette (actually, I think Combettes, but i'm worried about getting onto that very very low chairlift). What is the first run of choice of other skiers when arriving in Les Arcs?
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, @rob@rar, As I understand it, full Paradiski is open 16th Dec., which possibly makes sense as the opening week is a week later this year (calendar adjustment). I may be totally wrong about this, though.

https://www.seelaplagne.com/lifts/dates/opening-and-closing-dates-for-la-plagne-winter
snow report
@195062, thanks, that does make sense as opening day is 6 days later than it was last year.
snow conditions
@johnE,

1) Drink sounds good - shall we aim for our usual at Sanglier Qui Fume?

2) Also skiing in Kappl / Ishgl in January, and Morzine in March: neither, unfortunately, take the ski a la carte - but also neither are influenced by having a Paradiski season pass! Could possbly... get out to Arcs for another week late March, tbd.

3) Our first run , which is of no use to you! - usually Valle de l'Arcs 3 from 1950 > Pre St Esprit . Or a quick circuit of Marmottes, while waiting for boot-room faffers to make it to the piste Smile

(Here's a quick question I've not yet found an answer to - the Carré Neige Liberté insurance is valid in "all A la carte area PLUS (my emphasis) partner areas". Any one know where i can find these 'partner areas' - as the ALC website is somewhat opaque on the matter? )

195062 - indeed and thanks for the tip - just seen that the full Paradiski is opening on 16th. Nevertheless if going across just for a single day, the ALC is still a better bet than the full price pass. Notwithstanding rob@rar 's point on queue jumping - which I get, but on a personal note, have never found it to be 'essential' (haha) to our enjoyment.
Specifically, if in the 2000 valley that first week, the over-riding majority of the visitors are there for the Film festival, and first lift for the Varet is not a priority for them. The slopes are generally considerably quieter over our end of the domain, one of the main reasons we like it. The following weeks however... you may have a point!
latest report
johnE wrote:
@Arctic Roll, if you fancy a drink on the 22nd;
I'm doing an airport run that day, how about meeting on the 21st?
snow conditions
@rob@rar, We can do that - is the other half with you?
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:
@rob@rar, We can do that - is the other half with you?
She's arriving on the 22nd, hence airport run.
snow report
@Arctic Roll, @rob@rar, I haven't finalised when we are coming yet. but may be driving down on the 21st. It depends on what my son is planning and it is difficult to get him to make plans. Sanglier Qui Fume or Altiport are both good bars for me to finish the day on.

Cascades (which is what it is in my aging brain) is not a bad run to start a holiday on as it gives a good idea what conditions are like over the whole domain.
ski holidays
I suspect a round of WhatsApp and text messages in the week leading up to this will be the best option!
snow report
@johnE, @Arctic Roll, yes, let's arrange something that week. I head out on the 13th or 14th, leaving just before or just after New Year.

Nice to see snow on the upper slopes today Happy
latest report
Just spotted on the Les Arcs website that the lightshow in the Varet gondola garage will be free this season. Maybe more people will enjoy it, as last season the non-discounted price was a bit expensive for what it was. As an enjoyable diversion for 15 minutes I thought it was very well done, but for a family each paying 6? 8? Euros it was rather poor value for money.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, I really enjoyed the show and thought it well worth the admission, but then there were only 2 of us.

I'll be leaving the Saturday before New Year for a bit of skiing in Les Sept Laux. We'll be back in Late March for at least 2 weeks.

Just booked a weekend in Gresonney for some ice climbing in January Smile
snow report
It looks as we will be in Les Arcs earlier than I thought - travelling down on Tuesday 19/12/23 (Big smile)
snow conditions
Does anyone know what is the construction going on at the top of the TransArc, is this finally getting an upgrade?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wills_h, Yes the transarc is being upgraded with 10 seater cabins, a higher running speed and a greater density of cabins on the route giving a slightly improved capacity and faster journey times

https://en.lesarcs.com/news/area-news

Other updates are given here

https://www.seelesarcs.com/news/whats-new-this-winter-in-les-arcs-729807

Somewhere on the internet the deail plan are given as the prelude for planning permission
latest report
Just a reminder that if anyone is interested in the history of Les Arcs the http://grangedalice.blogspot.com/ blog is very interesting.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@wills_h, Yes the transarc is being upgraded with 10 seater cabins, a higher running speed and a greater density of cabins on the route giving a slightly improved capacity and faster journey times
Progress has been pretty quick in the last month since I checked the webcam in September. The building for the top station looks mostly complete, last time I looked it was a hole in the ground.

snow conditions
It looks as if the pylons are also in place, but no sign of string between them. I'm looking forward to sampling the new more comfortable cabins.
ski holidays
Its great to see some progress on the Transarc. We tended to decide where to ski based on the length of queue at the bottom of Transarc and if it was sunny or cloudy.

We'll probably see less of Villard and Carreley which was our route high if the Transarc queue was long.

The season is now very real as our long stay visas came back Tuesday, the ferry is booked for 6th Dec, car park pass in progress and I have just purchased season passes inc carre neige
Car in for service in 3 weeks and new all season tyres planned as current ones are 4-5mm ish

Also had a trip to the Rab factory shop and bought some nice big down mittens and merino base layers for the 2 days in January when its cold

Next step will be looking at a start of season refresher lesson and trying to find a cave for sale that is closer to the piste than ours
latest report
Quote:

and trying to find a cave for sale that is closer to the piste than ours

I prefer having the cave as close to the apartment as possible. TBH I've never seen a cave for sale, where are they advertised?

Where do you stay in 1800 and do you fancy meeting up for a drink at some point.
snow report
@johnE, pm sent

catch up drink sounds a plan
ski holidays
Slightly off topic or topic adjacent, but does anyone know how far in advance French train tickets get released, trying to book the train from Paris to Bourg out on Sat 30th of March and back on Sat 6th of April. The tickets aren't out yet and I know that Saturdays are busy so hoping to get in early on these. I've asked the website for a reminder when they come out but I don't really trust that.
snow report
wills_h wrote:
Slightly off topic or topic adjacent, but does anyone know how far in advance French train tickets get released,

3 months
snow report
thierryd wrote:
wills_h wrote:
Slightly off topic or topic adjacent, but does anyone know how far in advance French train tickets get released,

3 months
Thank you Smile
snow conditions
I seem to remember that if you took the train to Bourg you could at one time then get a free ride up the mountain on the Funi, is that still the case or am I totally making that up?
snow conditions
Sorry, one more thing, I brought my 5 year old son out last season during half term for his first trip, he loved it but did say that there were no other English speaking children in his ESF class. We've decided to have our family trip at Easter for the coming season and I know there are no guarantees but is there another ski school in 1800 that people think there is a greater likelihood of English speaking children attending rather than ESF?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy