Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
I see that they are pushing the lift pass discounts again, but not for Easter (It took me a while to figure out the strange way they were writing the the dates)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What's the URL for that John?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry, I forgot to post it

https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.com/en/promo-happy-weeks?utm_medium=email&utm_source=NL&utm_campaign=ADS_24_02_EN_CA_COM_05_HAPPY_WEEKS
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I also downloaded the YUGE app for a look and agreed it looks like an excellent app and much better than most.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to post it

https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.com/en/promo-happy-weeks?utm_medium=email&utm_source=NL&utm_campaign=ADS_24_02_EN_CA_COM_05_HAPPY_WEEKS

Ah, thought it was the Happy Weeks promo. The discount doesn't kick in until April so no good for me unfortunately, but useful to know it's lurking in the background for my next trip out that way.

On the topic of passes, I was looking at Sainte Foy yesterday. I couldn't find anything showing a discount via the Paradiski pass, so assume it's the normal £40 per person day rate. Given the amount of skiing already available in LA/LP, is it worth paying the extra for a day out in SF?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What's that weird white stuff falling from the sky on the live cams?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wills_h wrote:
They are preparing to welcome me back to the resort.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
wills_h wrote:
They are preparing to welcome me back to the resort.

Rolling out the white carpet
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wills_h wrote:
Rolling out the white carpet
Yup! Much like last season, I seem to have missed the warm, dry spell from mid-January to the end of Feb, getting back to the resort when conditions improve a little. I thought last winter had a decent start and a strong finish, and I’d be happy if the same happens this winter.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hope so, I'm back at Easter with the family and a friend with his family.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a quick look at the live cams and indeed there is snow about, but I don't think I've ever seen such huge lift queues. They are even queing for Dahu. The resort looks rammed now the half term holidays are in full swing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
I had a quick look at the live cams and indeed there is snow about, but I don't think I've ever seen such huge lift queues. They are even queing for Dahu. The resort looks rammed now the half term holidays are in full swing.

A stupid question I know, but how much impact do you think all of the extra people have on the snow. Is it neglegable vs what the sun does to it, or do the extra skis churn it up so much it removes the layers faster?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ratkinsonuk wrote:
A stupid question I know, but how much impact do you think all of the extra people have on the snow. Is it neglegable vs what the sun does to it, or do the extra skis churn it up so much it removes the layers faster?
How busy it is makes a big difference to the top surface of the snow. Lots of heavy, wet snow will form bumps and moguls far more quickly if there are lots of people. Hard-packed snow will get more and more polished if there are lots of people. But the pistebashers can make a big difference overnight to bring a piste back to smooth and grippy, but the cycle repeats the following day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is it simply a case of the snow being moved around though, or is it actually melting faster because of the moguls? I know I'm getting technical, but density and surface area come into play somewhere along the way?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ratkinsonuk, no idea if it’s melting quicker, but the main impact is that the snow gets moved around much, much more. Either scraped off the top to leave a hard, polished surface (what is often called ice), or mounded up to form either hard moguls or piles of soft, heavy sugary snow.
ski holidays
Quote:

Is it neglegable vs what the sun does to it,

The sun has little effect. The snow melts faster in overcast conditions when the cloud prevents the heat loss overnight.

The real killer of the snow cover is the foehn.
ski holidays
Also seen snow falling on cams - thinking of a trip 23 March - going to leave it as late as possible
snow report
I see it's coming down again now, but looks a little wet (in Arc 1800)??
ski holidays
ratkinsonuk wrote:
I see it's coming down again now, but looks a little wet (in Arc 1800)??
I think the snowline is due to rise a little as the day goes on, before colder weather moves in later on in this particular episode. Forecast over the next five or six days looks like conditions will generally improve, although as has been the case all winter, lower altitudes look a bit marginal.
latest report
https://fb.watch/qm_vWFW5EZ/?

The snow at 1800m in Arc 1800 a few minutes ago.
latest report
I'll definitely take that!
ski holidays
Here's someone else who's heading to Les Arcs at Easter. I'll be watching the webcams and this thread keenly for the next five weeks Very Happy
snow report
It looks as if there will be a lot of us there - shall we have a meetup?

Last Easter there were very few snowheads in Les Arcs. In fact the resort was very quiet.

@rob@rar, I've just looked at the livecams of 1800 and there seems to be a party going on and a floodlight slope. What's happening?
snow report
@johnE, I’d guess it’s a half-term ski show or similar. Torchlit descent by the ESF and some sort of live entertainment is typical in the half-term weeks.
latest report
They had similar on last week too, there was a Freestyle demo on a massive jump built next to the Vagare, that was lit up with a DJ etc. Lots of stuff going on from 1600 too
snow conditions
I’d guess events this evening will be subdued somewhat by the rain that’s now falling. Temperature to drop overnight though, and further precipitation coming through in the next few days falling mostly as snow.
latest report
T-14 days for me. Pleased to see the weather picking up and plenty of snow forecast in the next 2 weeks. Last year we arrived just when the blizzard conditions kicked in after the prolonged dry spell. Top of mountain was shut. Bottom of mountain was rain. Myrtlles got plenty of action. Got 1 day of fresh pow before had to leave. Hoping timing will be better this year!
latest report
@yllen, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Man, it's busy today...

snow report
@ratkinsonuk, most of those people are waiting for ski lessons to start (or end).
snow report
Disgusting, they should be at the Fole Douce by now!
snow report
@ratkinsonuk, Laughing
ski holidays
@ratkinsonuk, Where do you find that village cam? It's not on the official site is it?
snow report
One of the 3 cams here - https://www.youtube.com/@lesarcs/streams
ski holidays
@Dave_raclette, They are on the Les Arcs site at https://www.lesarcs.com/livecams
ski holidays
Ah, brilliant. Cheers!
ski holidays
Has anyone used an Uber to get from the station up to 1800, please? Most of the taxi companies I've contacted are unavailable, but a couple have quoted me an eye watering €230 return from B-S-M to 1800! I can book it on the Uber app to leave now, but can't make a reserve booking.

Thanks.
snow conditions
What sort of time are you wanting it and are you arriving by train? For those sorts of prices I’d rather get the funi and a shuttle bus.
snow report
Arriving at 2245! We're also staying at Les Alpages de Chantel, so it's the funicular + two buses!

The time plus onward travel makes a taxi significantly more preferable.
snow conditions
Cool Bus are based in Bourg, see what price they’ll quote you.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy