Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
bigtuboflard wrote:
Cool Bus are based in Bourg, see what price they’ll quote you.

They're one of the unavailable ones. I'm really surprised at the lack of availability for the time we need it.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think we have Uber here, so not sure why that's showing on the app!

Taxis are crazily expensive here. How many of you are coming? Might be easier to try find a local with a car and give them some cash!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
4 of us. No ski bags, just two big cases and a couple of hand luggage sized bags. We're open to all suggestions.

It's an Uber X apparently. I can book one now.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
About 10cm of fresh above 1600 or so, snow right down to 1400 although much less/wetter down there. Probably more at the highest parts of the area. Lots of PIDA going on at the Aiguille Rouge this morning and possibly more snow tonight Eh oh!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does anyone know if normal swimming shorts are okay in the pool at arc 1800?

Secondly anyone know of any ski instructors for 2 adults for a few private lessons. Easter week 31st March - 5th April
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jas915, I would always take trunks for french public swimming pools. You might sometimes get away with the other type in residence pools.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jas915 wrote:
Does anyone know if normal swimming shorts are okay in the pool at arc 1800?

Secondly anyone know of any ski instructors for 2 adults for a few private lessons. Easter week 31st March - 5th April

Why wouldnt swimming shorts be ok? am i missing something? do you have to wear budgie smugglers in France?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowymum wrote:
@jas915, I would always take trunks for french public swimming pools. You might sometimes get away with the other type in residence pools.

My husband and 2 boys wore swim shorts at that pool.

Yep, Macker, French pools often say they need to be the tight trunk type, but we go to France every summer and never see it being enforced. You can always spot the French families though as they all wear tight trunks that leave nothing to the imagination.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've seen it enforced. We went to a place in the Vendee last Summer and it was enforced. And that wasn't the first time.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The pool at Mile8 allows shorts to be worn but the public pool in Bourg st Maurice insists on normal trunks. This is the pool you go to if you want to swim as opposed to spash in the water. I have no idea on what the rules are for women, but I believe that women must expose a certain amount of skin (a French national law)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I once fell foul of the tight trunks rule at the outdoor pool in Chamonix on a summer holiday. They're clearly used to tourists who haven't come properly equipped, though -- they have a vending machine at reception, so I was forced to put my five euros in for a pair. Still have them ten years later, and still pack them for any holiday in France just in case!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the replies i do also have some vending machine ones from about 10 years ago to. No idea if they still fit me Eh oh! . Sounds like normal shorts will be fine for me and mu son though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
did it rain overnight in 1800? was forecast 10cm of snow and just checked webcam and theres less snow on the ground than yesterday as can see the grass on the Vagere cam
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Booked a Eurotunnel and overnight hotel (both cancelable) with plan of going 23rd March - do we don't we book accommodation with 3-weeks to go
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris wrote:
Booked a Eurotunnel and overnight hotel (both cancelable) with plan of going 23rd March - do we don't we book accommodation with 3-weeks to go

why wouldn't you?

we are going 23rd March and cant wait!
snow report
Macker13 wrote:
did it rain overnight in 1800? was forecast 10cm of snow and just checked webcam and theres less snow on the ground than yesterday as can see the grass on the Vagere cam
No, it didn’t rain last night, nor did it snow.
latest report
@Macker13, it would be an expensive trip if the snow is pants - we were lucky enough to go at Xmas so this is very much a treat, but only going to go if conditions are ok.

I'm not expecting foot deep powder every day, just ability to cruise and get back to resort on something more than a man-made strip of snow
latest report
@Boris, I would have thought you'd been to Vallandry enough times now to know it will be fine.

That said, no particular reason to book early - will be accommodation available whenever you book.
snow conditions
@Layne, I'd hesitate to guess this season - seems to alternate between boom and bust very quickly.

If it was our main holiday, we'd have booked and live with what's there, this is a bonus trip and to be honest if it's likely to be slush and ice we'll go away in caravan somewhere instead.
snow conditions
Just had a email from the Maison des Propriétaires in Les Arcs advertising a GS race in Vallandry for all property owners in Les Arcs on March 26th. I fancy having a go (shame the seniors class starts at 50 - it should be 70:) Anyone else fancy having a go.

They are also advertising a "watch the sunset from the Aiguille Rouge" event on Easter Sunday. then ski down
Quote:
Once again the season, the ski area makes this original and exclusive outing available just to property owners open to skiers and pedestrians !
A drink and tasting of regional produce at the top of the Aiguille Rouge at 3,226m.
Ski back down to Arc 2000 with the ski patrollers or by cable car & gondola for pedestrians.

This could also be interesting given that sunset will be about 21:00. I also fancy having a go. Skiing down in the dark after that time and with drink should be a bit of a challenge. I'll have to check the time of the last bus Smile
ski holidays
Clear goggle lenses, head torch and not too much Genepi!
snow report
Macker13 wrote:

Think it was just the foehn melting it slightly- might get a small refresher this evening and then potentially quite a bit more at the weekend.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Skiing down in the dark after that time and with drink should be a bit of a challenge. I'll have to check the time of the last bus Smile

Bringing back memories of my last SH's Birthday Bash. I was OK until the piste suddenly dropped away from me where the bashers had carved a trench in it..... Shocked
ski holidays
@wills_h, The full moon may be of more use than the headtorch. A 1000m descent starting off down a black piste by moonlight should be fun. And yes keep the Apremont consumption to a minumum.
latest report
@johnE, last time we dd this with the owners was
a) earlier in the season,
b) meant they insisted on cable car down , and then ski down Arondelieres.

Magical though... do it!
ski holidays
Ooooh. Is this only open to owners? I love the sound of this!
snow conditions
A pretty good nighttime show in Arc 1800 this evening, featuring pistebashers, blood wagons, avalanche dogs, kids from the Club des Sports and Freestyle Academy, a variety of illuminated ESF instructors and, for the first time, a drone show. Much better than previous displays I've seen here.

https://www.facebook.com/100078361479592/videos/4091338541084857/?idorvanity=294690435911056
snow report
On a similar topic, there's a special 'Magic Parade' show on Friday 15th March in Vallandry for anyone going out that week.

https://en.peisey-vallandry.com/peisey-vallandry/magic-parade-show.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sod it - we've booked for 23rd March - it's only money Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Boris wrote:

'Can always earn more' is my husbands mantra.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:

Inevitable Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
The Yuge app is showing quite a few closed lifts this morning, but there's no obvious bad weather or excess of snow on the webcams. Does anyone know why? Is it windy up top?
ski holidays
@Dave_raclette, It's blowing a gale down here in BSM so probably even windier up high. I've seen forecasts for up to 100km/h gusts.
snow report
Hi all, is someone able to send me a referral for Ski A La Carte ?
snow report
janed9388 wrote:
Hi all, is someone able to send me a referral for Ski A La Carte ?
I've just sent you a Private Message for a referral code.
ski holidays
All sorted. Thanks
ski holidays
Piste conditions this week above 1700m (I've not skied below that altitude) are reasonably good. Hard-packed in places, especially earlier in the day but softening in the afternoon. Good snow depths above 1800m, so no stones or bare patches. Lift-served off-piste is tracked out and frequently bumped up. The snow which until a couple of days ago was forecast to fall today fizzled out to nothing. As is common with a Retour d'est weather pattern, Val d'Isere and Tignes are close enough to the main Alpine ridge to get some snow (although not the huge storm which is currently closing down some of the Italian resorts just across the border), but nothing made it further in to the Tarentaise other than high winds. Disappointing. It's been a cloudy and low-viz week, but we did have a sunny day on Thursday which was nice.

snow conditions
We have been down to the extremes of the domain at Montalbert and Villaroger and it's skiing surprisingly well on artificial despite the non existent natural cover at those altitudes. Pistes look like they've been very actively managed with big piles of snow banked for later and not feeling too brown and sad just yet. In most of Les Arcs and La Plagne you can forget it's a bad snow year. On the Plagne side, I wouldn't recommend taking the descent down Derochoir to the Vanoise without some additional snow - the black is very scraped in places leading to some "make this turn or sacrifice your bases" situations and the blue flat track it connects to has numerous places where you actually have to take your skis off. Not complaining though as it's never been open when I've been here before!
snow report
All sounding reasonably okay all in all.

Taxi update: got a one from Tarantaise Taxi for 75€. We'll get the bus/funicular back down at the end of the week.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 3-03-24 22:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Owlette, good news you’ve got a taxi, and at a reasonable price.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy