Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2023 / 2024

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be heading to Les Arcs coming weekend. I've been hawking the weather report for weeks now, and it's pretty infuriating to keep seeing plenty of snow predicted a few days ahead, just for said predictions to fizzle out to nothing. I mean, predicting weather ahead a few days isn't exactly an accurate science, but it's been wrong so much...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The light snow we had overnight has disappeared quite quickly through this morning - is it raining at 1800?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ratkinsonuk wrote:
The light snow we had overnight has disappeared quite quickly through this morning - is it raining at 1800?
No. The valley cloud is quite thick today, up to 2100m occasionally higher, but not thick enough for any kind of significant precipitation. Above that level it’s a perfect blue sky day.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can only assume pretty warm temperatures then.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snooooooooow. I see snoooooww!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Owlette, Yep me to Madeye-Smiley Booked in any case and know it'll be spring snow and patchy come 23rd, but any extra snow a welcome addition
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Owlette, @Boris, not a huge amount of fresh, maybe 10cm on the upper slopes. But it made for some nice, creamy turns this morning. And it all helps refresh the pistes, which have good snow depth on them above 1800m.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
also on weather watch here to go out on the 1st April but it's looking good so far ! i seem to recall reading on last years thread about a BBQ restaurant somewhere, possibly in 1900, can someone remind me where / what it's called as I can't find it now. thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
An unexpectedly lovely morning once the visibility improved. Spent a couple of hours lapping the Plagnettes chair (no queues!) getting fresh tracks on every rotation around the top of the bowl. Then Varet opened, so more fresh tracks there. Perhaps 20cm of fresh, relatively dense snow in places. Caffeine loading now as legs need a rest.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
janed9388 wrote:
also on weather watch here to go out on the 1st April but it's looking good so far ! i seem to recall reading on last years thread about a BBQ restaurant somewhere, possibly in 1900, can someone remind me where / what it's called as I can't find it now. thanks

Cabane des Neiges in 1800 has indoor bbqs called "Brassero"
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For anyone worried about the conditions, I've just had a couple of hours running up and down around 1800 and I'd say they're excellent. Will be nice to see if the dump shows itself tomorrow but it's not stopping any fun if it doesn't.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ratkinsonuk, thanks for the update arriving in Montchavin tomorrow and looking forward to the skiing, hopefully the weather will clear up.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve been here for a week (1950) and the snow is great, weather a bit bleak today though. I’m here for another two weeks and if conditions stay as they are I’ll be over the moon.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Btw if you’re here and see a fat man with a beard and an Akita that’s me

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ratkinsonuk, my favourite area was high up between 1800 and 1600 when i went a few weeks ago. Check out froide fontaine. Nobody on it and good conditions all day, very confidence inspiring. Fastest I have ever skied by far. The other was grand renard into grand melezes. Dents du peigne was good for a blue later on in the day, fairly flat but less trafficed than many of the other blues in 2000 bowl and good for carving, the non carving youngsters who were temporary passing me as leader all day couldn't get close to me down there Very Happy
snow conditions
ratkinsonuk wrote:
Will be nice to see if the dump shows itself tomorrow but it's not stopping any fun if it doesn't.

Weather services keep predicting tons of snow that never comes. I won’t be holding my breath.

I arrived this afternoon and checked out Arc 1600 this evening. And… Shocked
ski holidays
Last day of 4 days today. Contemplating La Plagne. Anyone know snow conditions low down? Is it doable? I recall someone saying earlier its a bit thin and treacherous.
ski holidays
I haven't been lower than about 1600 but everything above that is fine. Been snowing high up all morning so a fine powder bed to play on. Unfortunately visibility is extremely limited so we're eating raspberry flan Very Happy
latest report
4q wrote:
Btw if you’re here and see a fat man with a beard and an Akita that’s me

We're there in 3 weeks. Gutted I'm missing the Akita. I'm dog-mad. I'd have been the crazy lady saying 'hello puppy' and full of glee.
snow report
Absolutely superb day with mainly blue skies. Some lovely fluffy snow falling during lunch. Piste conditions really great.
snow report
I saw some photographer in company clothes on the slopes. Is there some site with actual candid type of photos from the slopes one should know about?

Also, it seems like slopes higher up are starting to deteriorate and thin and sometimes break through (e.g. Plan Vert which goes around the lake to Arc 1950/2000).
snow conditions
Plan is just a flat track to get back across to 2000 from 1800 without going down to 1950. Sure they will cover it if it is.
snow report
The last 2 days of blue skies has taken its toll on the lower slopes but the other 80 percent of pistes are skiing really great still. The slopes are busier than I've ever seen so can be a challenge trying to avoid end of day lumps and skiers at the same time. All in all, still great skiing to be had.
ski holidays
Yes the Vallandry web cam certainly has a lot of green on it, but similar to this time last year. Fingers crossed we get snow on arrival again.

Another week to go, sure we will have enough to keep us entertained
snow conditions
Spontaneous visit to Arc1950 for various other reasons, currently being planned for 6th April - 4 days skiing (potentially. Or MTB / hiking. Whichever is more suited to conditions).
Anyone else out there that week?
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, skiing should be fine. We are arriving on the 24th and leaving on the 3rd (unless the snow is excellent and we stay for the rest of the week.)
latest report
Forecasts looking ok for a drop in temps and possibly some snow - only a few days till I find out

Sure there will be plenty to keep me occupied and it's going to be better than (I think) 2010/11 season when the Vallandry Bowl was closed due to lack of snow and there was only one artificial run open down to Arc 1800
latest report
does anyone know if the main pool in arc 1800 is one that requires budgie smugglers or is board short style swimwear acceptable ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My brother in Law was in there at Half term in normal board shorts
snow conditions
Fab, thanks.
snow report
@Boris, 10/11 sounds right. I was there in early April. I remember taking skis off and tramping through the mud to Arpette chair. Came back early for a wedding near Blackpool on the Saturday.
ski holidays
@Boris, we are in Les Arcs this week and have had a great time. It has been very mild but there are still plenty of runs open. Good skiing higher up in Vallandry, 1800 and 1950/2000. Snow cover down to resort level but it is very heavy at the foot of the slopes by mid morning even in 1950. It is due to get colder with more snow forecast to lower levels than this week so you will be fine. I think a few of the reds in Peisey Vallandry are shut at the bottom but you can still ski the higher sections. The blacks in vallandry are also shut.
snow conditions
Hi folks. We've booked very last minute for a week in Arc 1950, arriving 30/3.

Does anyone have any recommendations for private lessons for my 2 youngest daughters (12 & 10). Looking, ideally, for 2 x 1/2 days on the Sunday and Monday to help them get their ski legs back. Can't find any availability on the ESF website.

Both have skied between 5 and 7 weeks so are competent on blues and reds but still need some pointers.

TIA
ski holidays
@Rhg76, try JP at https://www.ski-aim.com

I'd guess he's already booked for much of that week, but if he has any availability he'll do a great job.
latest report
Yesterday’s snow certainly very welcome and made for lovely day skiing. Albeit with poor visibility. Runs back to Vallandry ok, but sugary late on
latest report
Quick question. Is there snow/slush in 1800 village on the pavements etc? Just wondering if to bring boots or trainers to walk around in when not skiing next week.
snow conditions
Getting ready for a late start this morning with too much faffing, finding the ski gear etc. It looks a glorious day out there even though the snow that was falling last night hasn't settled on the roads.
We were a bit late getting here last night having been delayed for 90 minutes at the tunnel "for operation reasons" but still managed to arrive before pizza Charlotte closed.
The resort looks very quiet.
ski holidays
Hello, does anyone know when the Funniculaire starts letting mountain bikes on in the afternoons? Packing the van tomorrow, so considering taking the bikes for laps of La '8'
ski holidays
I think you can take bikes on at anytime but it would be unsociable to do it during the morning rush hour so I'd say after 11.

1600 was very quiet this morning with no one on lifts and empty pistes much busier over in 1800 and vallandry. There was a2 minute queue at Derby.

The snow is excellent on piste

For the first time in my life I saw a full circle rainbow around the sun Eh oh!
snow report
@Gilly76, @johnE,

Bikes are allowed on yep - any funi after the 1040 one in the morning is fair game and no bikes allowed at all on Saturdays. All the trails from 1600/1800 are running sweet.

FYI John bikes is always a contentious issue but this season bikes have been allowed on every week aside from all of Feb during the holidays.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy