Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
Any recommendations for ski hire in Chamonix?
I've only been in summer before (mountain biking) so don't know it very well but I think we're staying nr the bottom of the Plan Praz cable car so somewhere near there if possible (although good skis are more importance than convenience). While I'm at it - are there any lockers at or near the cable car?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Idris and all - Chamonix noob here, coming with a group in two weeks. Am I to understand that there is an hour of hiking at the end of the Vallee Blanche tour? If so, perhaps we should change our plans. Also, what are the old and new gondolas being described? Do they help with egress? Thanks
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Okay - I'm guessing it's the Mer de Glass Gondola that isn't running? Gosh, my group isn't going to like to hike that. Will need to rethink.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Higs, I'd use Concept https://www.conceptproshopchamonix.com/fr/, but I have a family connection wink they are really good.

@CJM, can't help I'm afraid, but do hear murmurs that it's a bit pants.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Significant precipitation on the horizon... but the freezing level seems to be crawling higher every time I check. Anyone got a more positive outlook?! Arrived yesterday (here for a month) and today's small ventures off piste made my knees hurt! Base seems decent though – the runs I nabbed were in a good way considering the temperatures.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@Higs, I'd use Concept https://www.conceptproshopchamonix.com/fr/, but I have a family connection wink they are really good.
Thanks - they do look good (the website anyway). They seem to be on the other side nr the Aiguille Du Midi lift whereas I'm nr the Plan Praz but that's not a deal-breaker for the right skis.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CJM wrote:
@Idris and all - Chamonix noob here, coming with a group in two weeks. Am I to understand that there is an hour of hiking at the end of the Vallee Blanche tour? If so, perhaps we should change our plans. Also, what are the old and new gondolas being described? Do they help with egress? Thanks

Shouldn't be that long a hike. Just need to hike to the stairs, then up the stairs to the lift up to Montenvers. Then train down from there. Hike is a bit longer every year as the Glacier retreats, but it's not an hour. Unless of course, like last time I was there, there was a strike and the Montenvers train wasn't running, so we had to do the full hike and then ski down to town.

While they are putting in a new lift in from the Glacier to Montenvers due to the glacial retreat, what is being discussed here is the 2 new gondolas at Grands Montets. Nothing to do with VB.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TOLOCOMAN, There isn’t a lift up to Montenvers from the top of the steps anymore. It has been decommissioned. That is the whole point of his question.

It is a fairly unpleasant epic now to get to the train until the opening of the new lift (which is about a month late opening)

Look up the thread at @Idris’ post.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh, my bad. That's new this year? So at that point then, I guess it is just best to hike up from the tie of the Glacier and then just ski down? Or is there enough snow for that this year?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TOLOCOMAN wrote:
Oh, my bad. That's new this year? So at that point then, I guess it is just best to hike up from the tie of the Glacier and then just ski down? Or is there enough snow for that this year?

Getting off the end of the glacier would be a full on mountaineering experience until there is a lot more snow. The snow on the ski out would only get you halfway down.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CJM wrote:
Okay - I'm guessing it's the Mer de Glass Gondola that isn't running? Gosh, my group isn't going to like to hike that. Will need to rethink.

If the lift isn't running, I would recommend doing the Tula glacier off the Skyway a much better experience at the moment.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HammondR wrote:
@TOLOCOMAN, There isn’t a lift up to Montenvers from the top of the steps anymore. It has been decommissioned. That is the whole point of his question.
It is a fairly unpleasant epic now to get to the train until the opening of the new lift (which is about a month late opening)
That might explain why when I looked on the Compagnie Des Guides site the earliest date for a Vallee Blanche group was 27th Jan which is (a) my last day and (b) already fully booked. I guess that's when they expect the new lift to open.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Morning! not a weather question, but lift passes... we land on Saturday so want to pick our passes up.
None of us have magnetic cards to reuse, so anybody know the best place to go in central Cham to collect cards and then load the passes on? Are there machines for both at the bottom of the Aguille du Midi maybe? thanks in advance
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Montenvers ticket office is probably the most central place.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all for the discussion. Have booked our guides. Hoping the new lift opens but we'll follow @Idris' advice if not.
ski holidays
@ukoldschool, my bro picked up his ticket at the Aiguille last week, as we were picking up skis from Concept. But it was the evening, so not very busy.
ski holidays
I'm looking at the current weather on snow-forecast.com - I'm assuming it is not advisable to head out to any of the nearby resorts (haven't bought a lift pass yet)?
ski holidays
@ThinSocks, "advisable"(?) - well it's totally fine if you like skiing in the rain.

Looks like it'll be snowing all from Lognan ( ~2,250m) up. But crap vis.
snow conditions
Thanks. Haven't skied in the rain before - assumed the piste would turn into some sort of icy mess...
snow report
@ThinSocks, it depends.

Anyway, there not much open due winds. https://www.montblancnaturalresort.com/en/infos-live#b4
latest report
Is there rain forecast? does this mean snow on the mountain?
snow report
ukoldschool wrote:
Is there rain forecast? does this mean snow on the mountain?
That depends on temperature. It could mean rain on (at least some of) the mountain.
ski holidays
LPN around 1,600...

35cms or so above 1,700, a bit heavy.

You don't see the Flégère car park like this very often,

But we did 3 little Evettes and it wasn't quite as grotty as expected
snow report
All rather wonderful today.
ski holidays
@HammondR, Where were you? We opted for Les Houches as a. I'm still taking it easy on my knee and b. expected les Grands to be a total zoo.

Very pleasant highest runs, less so below 1,700m (no surprise there then, eh?).
snow report
@under a new name, Le Tour.

More by luck than skill we bagged 5 × fresh tracks from various lifts just before or after they opened. It was actual real powder above 1800m (not just fresh snow which most folk describe as powder)

Stopped at 15:00 to save our legs for the Col du Passon tomorrow.

This probably wasn't early enough to save my legs

I suspect that the next 2 days will have some of the best piste skiing of the season.
snow report
@HammondR, Nice! Next 2 days I am sure you’re right Happy

We are however in Cap Horn, dancing, I despair for our “early start” Shocked
snow report
Apologies if this has been answered already but...
(last minute as usual) I have just started looking at lift passes. I arrive tomorrow afternoon and will want a 4-day pass for Weds-Sat. Looking on the website I can see it says "If you wish to purchase multiple day passes, you must already possess a rechargeable hands-free badge." but I can see where to buy the rechargeable pass in the first place.
I am staying near the Plan Praz lift so ideally I'd like to buy the rechargeable card and four days 'lift pass' from there but the implication is that they don't sell the physical card.
Any help/advice appreciated.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Higs, you can buy badge and pass there.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Higs, you can buy badge and pass there.
Thanks - I hoped it wouldn't be over-complicated but you never know these days.
snow report
@Higs, I'm going to admit I thought your question a bit "huh?" but you're right, you never do know! rolling eyes Shocked

The queue should be negligible, if anything but if there's an issue, wander across town to Montenvers by the train station and they'll sort you out.
latest report
Coming to Chamonix later this week. A lot of the runs in Brevent/Flegere are closed today, can anyone tell me why? Weather? Snow conditions? Thanks
snow report
@MikeskiH, oh, yesterday?? Probs high wind.

see https://www.montblancnaturalresort.com/en/infos-live
latest report
Thanks, that's what I assumed but the runs are still closed according to the app and it says wind of only 7kmh so wondered if it was something else. The wind is probably stronger than that.
snow report
@MikeskiH, avvy danger mostly.
ski holidays
They are short staffed over there also. Decent powder from the lifts at Grand Montets this morning.

Saw a skier with snap links on the back of his pack clip himself to a chair. Silly billy.

Saw another one break the brake off his macho ski, which fully descended about 200m.
ski holidays
@phil_w, Shocked rolling eyes
ski holidays
Just walked into town for a coffee and the melt is astonishing. Feels like April out there. Shop owner's been here 17 years and it's the warmest he can remember. Long range is predicting lower temps and snow at approx 2,000m next Saturday... hope it's true
latest report
Arrive in Chamonix tomorrow evening for a few days. Usually go to Les Houches to get my ski legs back into gear so was going to go there on Friday before heading to Le Tour on Saturday. Has anyone been to Les Houches in the last couple of days and able to tell me what piste conditions are like please? Many thanks
ski holidays
MikeskiH wrote:
Coming to Chamonix later this week. A lot of the runs in Brevent/Flegere are closed today, can anyone tell me why? Weather? Snow conditions? Thanks
I was there today. Brevent in the morning then headed towards Flegere after lunch. When we got to the Sources lift it was closed (I'd been on it earlier). Reason given for closure was 'avalanche'. So we went up Cornu, came down to find that one closed as well due to 'avalanche risk'. That left going up and down Parsa as the only option so we had a beer and retired early.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy