Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
@snowdave - thanks for the link. Is there a web cam "snow stake" that shows live pics of storm totals? I googled around and couldn't find one, but half the web cams are in the dark right now, so I might have missed.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@CJM, no idea about "Open Snow" but @snowdave's link is definitely good and reliable.

As is https://meteo-chamonix.org/ who is another independent analyst/forecaster ... but if we're looking at our robot overlords I like

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/week/chamonix_france_3027301 - a Swiss bunch of weather freaks out of Bern who are pretty innovative.

They also seem to more properly take account of altitude https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/week/l%27aiguillettes-des-possettes_france_6931817 is at 2,200m (and in the Le Tour area) and is showing +/- 80-130cms Shocked snowHead snowHead and their precipitation preview is handy.

No "snow stake" cam that I'm aware of (there are snow stakes but not on cams)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well I too like the robot overlords when they are projecting up to four feet of snow over the next five days. Nourishes my daydreams. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:

As is https://meteo-chamonix.org/ who is another independent analyst/forecaster ... but if we're looking at our robot overlords I like

Wasn't aware of that one, looks good and even includes a picture!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sooooo... the Flegere bubble's open, but nothing else, keen folks out there!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Darn, it's a live feed! Anyway, looked as busy as a normal day when I posted!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Question - will the new Grand Montets gondola open this year? And specifically by the end of January? I keep seeing "by 2024" or "winter of 2024" but not a specific date. Thanks
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@CJM, absolutely definitely not I’m afraid. Haven’t even started building it. Not sure planning’s even been agreed.

The new Balme gondola will be running however Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ooof. Haha. I guess not then. Happy
The Balme gondola is Charamillon? Or is there a new lift going to the top of Tete de Balme? And can you comment on this area in general?
I'm wondering which of the many areas would be best for our non-off-piste-seeking crew. Our "Corduroy Kings" love their groomed slopes and long lunches with wine. Which area would be best for this?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CJM, yes, it's Charamillon. It's pretty mellow, not hugely steep anywhere. Probably best for lunching as well Happy les Ecuries de Charamillon and les Alpages de Balme are both quite nice lunch spots. THere's also the Café Comptoir at the bottom of the Vallorcine bubble but we've never been.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, agree defo the best lunch spot around. All of yours (and I can vouch for Cafe Comptoir even tho' I can't do accents) plus also Le Passon at the bottom - great if you're meeting kids post ski school.

Just be sure to book for all of the above. Comptoir - days/weeks ahead, the others are usually ok if you book first thing in the morning.

There's talk of a new lift at some point, starting from the plateau on the resort run, just down from the midstation. It would potentially go up to Col de Balme, or Tete de Balme. Without it, the gondola that's been put in creates a big bottleneck by having 2x the capacity of the chair it connects to.

Snow is looking great - hope you got out for a ski!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snowdave,
Quote:

There's talk of a new lift
ooh, I hadn't heard that - would be great, as yes, the new bubble doesn't even get as high as the drags so it's the slow chair or nothing rolling eyes

Haven't been out as my physio doesn't want me skiing powder (not sure it was even powder!) quite yet Sad more patience required... )

I think Le Passon's up for sale? not sure if it'll be open?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:

I think Le Passon's up for sale? not sure if it'll be open?

Oh no! Hope it changes hands to someone equally proficient; we've had lots of excellent meals there.

Good luck with the knee recovery. Hopefully they'll piste it soon for you Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowdave, thanks, she's just a bit cautious about my proprioception. Fair enough!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under & @dave - excellent. Appreciate the lunch recs and general guidance. Will investigate.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/tUplGo_2Cyw?si=x89Em15imdN-T3Ms

All a bit of a mess.
snow report
@HammondR, thanks for sharing. I had no idea!
snow report
@fixx, +1

That explains the email from my coprop agency saying they'd been to check the apartment block, and all was ok. Must have been an awe-inspiring sight when the river was in full flood, given how much of the bank has been cut away at Monroc.
ski holidays
@HammondR, well, at least there's still snow up le Tour Shocked
snow report
Looks like a big dump yesterday? village actually looking snowy
snow report
@ukoldschool, not a "big" dump, not really any sort of dump, but maybe the forecast 20cms of snow in town , which is very welcome. With more welcomeness to come snowHead snowHead Hard to tell in the garden as the niblings were running around and making snowmen at 20h00 ...
snow report
35-40cm in the valley at 1200m in places is a dump in anyone’s terms .. Argentiere
For example
ski holidays
@Alex A, was not a dump in our garden! Doesn’t look like 40cms at 1,800m either …

But fair to say it is dumping now snowHead

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 28-11-23 11:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Alex A, was not a dump in our garden! Doesn’t look like 40cms at 1,800m either …

It will be fabulous up there on Wednesday and over the weekend!
snow report
@BobinCH, tomorrow looks great. What will Thursday bring?
snow conditions
Chamonix needs a webcam up the mountain with a snow measuring stick. Looks like at least a foot fell at 2,000m from squinting at the pylons and trees. I've got no chance of getting up there before the rain on Thursday unfortunately.
ski holidays
@hold_my_biere, there’s a stick just below Flegere bubble top, just needs a working, sheltered cam.
snow report
There’s a lot up there. Vallorcine is just over the border from the 56cm reading there at 2250m
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, been windy though, the Le Tour cams weren't suggesting quite that much. But still, totally excellent. Sis-in-law was up Flegere on skins on Friday and reckons totally fine base, they could open if they wanted (but obvs they don't).
snow conditions
@under a new name, however they do plan to partially open Flegere on the 9th December (I think there was some indication that the Index was included in that). Which along with the GM also being scheduled to open, goes some way to explain why I arranged today for a pre season warm up trip arriving on the 8th December.

Oh and Verbier. And possibly Megeve.
latest report
@HammondR, do they?? How exciting!! Actually, I'd forgotten we were talking about that last night (but after a few glasses). I am seeing my knee surgeon for sign off on Monday, so I am hopeful that I will be allowed to ski - at least on piste till I'm properly back to form.

Verbier may be more fun.
latest report
Yesterday the snow clearing was out around 8am and realy half arsed, got 30cm deep fresh tracks in the greppon car park around 8.30. This morning everything frozen like Hoth. And no snow clearing, just yesterday afternoons snow, with last nights tracks on it. Bloody ice rink. Prarion piste is starting to see the slow return of Rando man (most are up Flegere or le Tour I think)
snow conditions
It’s not clear where he got this from, but I see on Dave Searle’s instagram some recent statement about the Grands Montets lift replacement…

https://www.instagram.com/stories/davejsearle/3246697877932905551/
ski holidays
The trouble with that timeline is it says they're going to dismantle pylons 2, 3 and 4 in 2023, which it doesn't look like they've done (unless they're going to blow them up for New Year's eve), so are they already behind that new schedule?
snow conditions
@Idris, Yeh, snow clearing pretty abysmal. Got caught be surprise again I imagine. Snow in winter, who knew?
ski holidays
Hi snowheads! A question about Argentiere second week of January.. (I know, I know, it's so far out! Nobody could possibly say!) but am looking for your experiences based off the last couple years and especially given the abysmal early conditions last year. I'm thinking about booking the UCPA intro to off piste course the week of Jan 13th and wondering if that's sensible... if we have a season start like the last couple of years is Argentiere a safe bet or should I be looking elsewhere / later? I mean signs seem to be good so far this year but just looking for some guidance basically
snow report
heidiski wrote:
Hi snowheads! A question about Argentiere second week of January.. (I know, I know, it's so far out! Nobody could possibly say!) but am looking for your experiences based off the last couple years and especially given the abysmal early conditions last year. I'm thinking about booking the UCPA intro to off piste course the week of Jan 13th and wondering if that's sensible... if we have a season start like the last couple of years is Argentiere a safe bet or should I be looking elsewhere / later? I mean signs seem to be good so far this year but just looking for some guidance basically

Argentiere is as good a bet as anywhere for early season considering the base is already great and there’s lots more in the forecast
snow conditions
Inboard wrote:
It’s not clear where he got this from, but I see on Dave Searle’s instagram some recent statement about the Grands Montets lift replacement…

https://www.instagram.com/stories/davejsearle/3246697877932905551/

2026 Shocked
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
heidiski wrote:

Argentiere is as good a bet as anywhere for early season considering the base is already great and there’s lots more in the forecast

Ok thanks this is reassuring!
ski holidays
@heidiski, we’re off to Argentiere for off-piste coaching 18-22 Dec, and have been twice before for same course (not UCPA) in mid-late Dec or early Jan and it’s been fine. There’s always something to learn, different skills for different snow types.

You’ll have a blast.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy