Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
@BobinCH, get your skins out, wally! Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Inboard wrote:
@heidiski, we’re off to Argentiere for off-piste coaching 18-22 Dec, and have been twice before for same course (not UCPA) in mid-late Dec or early Jan and it’s been fine. There’s always something to learn, different skills for different snow types.

You’ll have a blast.

Good to know thank you! Mind if I ask who you book through? I'll probably go with UCPA as the package looks very affordable but curious about other snowhead-recommended options too
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We like OffPiste Performance - specifically the Ski Performance for Mountaineers course which is essentially off-piste technique. Really great, excellent coaches who’re at the top of their game (Alison Thacker/ Culshaw; also Derek Tate, Shona and others from BASS Chamonix).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@heidiski, Alison is fantastic. Sadly her courses don’t come with bargain accommodation, food, equipment and hangover.

Also, to actually ski with Alison you probably need to start figuring out now how to book for the season 2024/25.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BobinCH wrote:
Inboard wrote:
It’s not clear where he got this from, but I see on Dave Searle’s instagram some recent statement about the Grands Montets lift replacement…

https://www.instagram.com/stories/davejsearle/3246697877932905551/

2026 Shocked

If it slips a bit it should be ready for the 10th anniversary of the fire. We could have had a decade of Europe’s only avalanche protected/patrolled dedicated ski touring area if they’d put their mind to it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@HammondR, oh I don’t know about that… cheap shoebox studio, pick up a pile of beer from Sallanches… Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is very, very wet out there!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What's going on with the Chamonix RapidCard prices where it's more expensive for kids than students 18-30? Seems a bit backwards.

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hold_my_biere, kids are with their wealthy parents whereas students have been cast out, disowned, and are penniless?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hold_my_biere wrote:
What's going on with the Chamonix RapidCard prices where it's more expensive for kids than students 18-30? Seems a bit backwards.

The student price is only valid IF you are a local student (If memory serves)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Idris wrote:
hold_my_biere wrote:

The student price is only valid IF you are a local student (If memory serves)

As of 3 yrs ago (2020, pre COVID), an ISIC student card also worked. Haven't tried since.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Possibly better to ask this in the review section but... last time we went to Chamonix (2 years ago) we didnt bother with Argentiere, it looked like all blacks and reds which didnt really seem to suit a group of 5 50+ snowboarders, but I am wondering if we missed out? So is that area any good for boarders? are the red really 'reds', and are the blacks really 'blacks'..

to give a bit of context our favorite 'run' of the holiday was the long red/blue down from the top of Les Houches all the way to the bottom, then cable car back up again (think it was called aillouds?)

Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ukoldschool, the runs are not soft, I.e. they deserve their colours. Are you missing out? Subjective, it is a great area but only if you like steepish pistes/off piste. High and North facing so snow stays in condition for longer than some other areas but will take longer to soften on a spring morning
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ukoldschool its one of the greatest mountains in the world! Give it a go. Nothing to lose. Do laps down the pierre a ric bottom run if you think the higher herse/bochard runs are too steep (but the reds off of them are no steeper than anywhere else).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ukoldschool, IMV, you go to the Grands for the off piste or the bumps. If that's not your bag that's fine!
snow conditions
harvey13 wrote:
@ukoldschool its one of the greatest mountains in the world! Give it a go.

This.
snow report
@Whitegold, you ever been?
ski holidays
@under a new name, Has Whitegold ever left his bedroom?
ski holidays
Chamonix town currently has 110mm of rainfall lined up for this Fri to Tues.

More than a month's rainfall -- in 5 days.

May need scuba gear, not ski gear!
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
CJM wrote:
@under - agree. Will likely go with them since they are big and can provide the numbers of guides that we need. However, SnowDave's advice caused me to reach out to begin to get commitments for the guided day and the number of takers may be much smaller than I was expecting. I think the youtube video of the guy almost falling off the mountain when he tripped walking down the spine has my group thinking second thoughts. Happy

It’s really not that bad. And in good weather a really memorable experience for the atmosphere up there, views, wild glaciated terrain, big ski day.

Re your ski choice I did it last season on DPS Lotus 117 with Alpine bindings (in good conditions) and they were perfect
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cnv7WN0qJBZ/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Awesome looking trip. Now I’m motivated Eh oh! Eh oh!
latest report
@yellowsnow, not true.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Chamonix town currently has 110mm of rainfall lined up for this Fri to Tues.

More than a month's rainfall -- in 5 days.

May need scuba gear, not ski gear!

Its forecast -7C. That's 1110mm of pure white gold!
latest report
Sadly the rain snow line was pretty high last night so conditions at Grands Montets not as fabulous today as the precipitation might have suggested. Yesterday was awesome, but today had hard pack coming through pretty quickly on piste, off piste a bit variable with mix of drifted snow and rain crust, esp lower down. Great coverage though and fab to see blue skies today!
latest report
Big looking self purging slide down towards the Gaillands climbing (if I got my bearings right about 11h30 this morning) Shocked

Looks like only Les Houches open tomorrow.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Big looking self purging slide down towards the Gaillands climbing (if I got my bearings right about 11h30 this morning) Shocked

Looks like only Les Houches open tomorrow.
News to me, they haven't done anying towards opening anything in LH
latest report
@under a new name, I received an email today from the CdMB stating that the opening of Les Houches was being delayed because of poor snow conditions until Saturday 23rd December.
latest report
On a happier note, it is busily snowing away outside my window in Argentière.
snow report
@Idris, @HammondR, what prompted the comment was that I'd just previously had an email from the Compagnie saying that Le Pass would be valid in Les Houches [today] (was a bit of a surprise, obvs) then got the unsurprising email today that opening was delayed to "23.12 at the latest".

Someone confused in the comms dept? I surely am
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got the email saying the Brevent area is open full-time from this weekend, but the Brevent cable car is pedestrians only, like it was for most of last year. Do we think it'll be open for skiers at any point, or is it going to be off limits all year again?
snow conditions
@hold_my_biere, I think there's something unstable about the rockface above the last ski pitch which has the various authorities very, very nervous.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@hold_my_biere, I think there's something unstable about the rockface above the last ski pitch which has the various authorities very, very nervous.

NO there is something very broken with the upper management of the CMB. The worlds premier ski lift (GM top) has been out of action for years (only took our swiss neighbours 4 months to fix a much worse issue) and then they are trying to make the top of the Brevent guided only! Yes there is mild rockfall danger to a bit of the piste - they fixed it this summer.
latest report
@Idris, that's interesting, thank you. Hmmm, are they related to the upper management of the Schilthornbahn? (Closed most of Mürren for the winter because asiatic summer tourists are more immediately profitable Shocked

Top of Brevent guided only? are they having a laugh? Blithering idiots. The Aiguille isn't guided only is it?

I can only comment about the on piste as my physio has not yet released my off piste demons, but the Grands was very pleasant (other than punters) yesterday (if rather chilly) and a nice pootle around Flégère today (aged in-laws) in tow.

About 1m60cms compacted at the Flégère weather station which is rather the improvement over last year at the same time Shocked
latest report
so CdMB are reporting 250cms at Brevent and 30cms fresh from yesterday. We have chores to do and won't be going up. But encouraging!
snow conditions
Weather in Brevent?
Argentiere?
Vis is cr@p in La Tour from late opening at9:30 to now 1050
Thanks for help
ski holidays
People on here often asking for guide recommendations. Not many better than Scottish Ross

https://www.instagram.com/ross.hewitt?igsh=M3lwZ3BiZjBvbG1n
snow report
Anyone on the ground got an update on current conditions? Brevent/Flegere, Les Houches? Out in 10 days and getting excited!
ski holidays
@ukoldschool, sunny.

That's as far as I've got.
latest report
Nice up Brev/Flég today. Good snow. And lots of it. Off piste a bit tracked/blown mostly but looked like nice tracks to be made above index.

Also, there's been a sandwich bar at the top of the Index for a few years now. Good beer, excellent chips - went very well with our sandwiches.
ski holidays
Skied off the Midi for the first time this year. Hardly anyone up there. Very few tracks ont he classic. Wind deposited/interupted powder, getting heavier the closer to the Requin, piste like below there. Snow a bit thin towards Montonvers. THEN there is the slog, forst up the half removed unmaintened stairways of the old ice caves, to the inactive (Why is this not running) old gondola, then up the footpath, with its strange last part almost under the hotel du montonvers. About an hours worth if you can do it non stop. Nowhere near enough snow to ski off the nose than out via Mottets, glacier an awful mess down there. New gondoloa being worked on at the moment.

snow report
@Idris, you have summed up perfectly why me and my old timer mob are steering well clear until the new gondola opens.

The impetuosity of youth!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy