Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
This is just a skiing forum guys
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Roguevfr, I see. Your nose is all out of joint following me giving some insight to weather and conditions in Monterosa. Including follow-up on the snow line. Which I thought would be of interest to you or anyone else either already booked to come or thinking about it. And now I’m a “dick” because I failed to tell you which village I was in?

Grow up.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Roguevfr, Puzzled random stranger on internet is a “dick” for being less than completely comprehensive and precise in their posting?

Que?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyway. Excellent conditions this morning, with some hero snow on top of well groomed pistes. Some fun to be had side-piste also. Car parks seemed very full, but didn’t feel that busy with no queues to speak of. Bit of carnage at Passo Salati around 10.30, where the slope was busy and bumpy, but the rest of the day did not feel too crowded. I think a mix of locals enjoying the good conditions and those on half term struggling when it was bumpy due to not having ski legs yet and lessons not yet started. It was quite warm lower down in the afternoon but still good skiing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are several villages in the general area referred to, and at varying altitudes.
Many of them have runs (generally red or black) which return to resort and were unpleasant / difficult to ski/ride until (presumably) they were improved by recent "reported" snow-fall .
The black run to Alagna, for example was particularly nasty at the end of last week, and is over 600m lower than the "home run" to Stafal .
Therefore "snowing at village level" is very different between Stafal and Alagna with consequent improvement or not of relative runs.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Roguevfr, yes, sure, but a random stranger being less than specific on an anonymous random ski forum is not "being a dick" huh?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@Roguevfr, yes, sure, but a random stranger being less than specific on an anonymous random ski forum is not "being a dick" huh?

Sorry, I don't need to explain my opinion of him and his posting style to you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Roguevfr, no, you don't.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, @Roguevfr, @zikomo, put your handbags down before someone gets hurt! Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think it might be a useful unwritten rule of the internet to never engage with people who are being pricks. Just let it wash over you and continue having conversation with normal people.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow level was around 1600m, as I already responded with. So well above the level of Alagna. But it has been getting colder at night so maybe they made some snow for the home run to there. I don’t know as tbh I’m not a big fan of the run below Pianalunga, not least as my wife wears a brace which is good for skiing but uncomfortable to walk. Plus I find it a bit dull. Plus I don’t see it is a necessary link in the network. If I was staying in Alagna (which I am not), I would choose to download anyway unless the piste brought me very close to where I was staying. Hope that helps.

I have a more recent update anyway.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gordyjh, I never drew my handbag wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, apologies I thought you had…
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gordyjh, Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I came back on Sunday from Champoluc , lots of snow Friday and Saturday , snowing in Champoluc village and further down. Should be great this week provided temps stay low, conditions tough last week as was very warm. Pistes hard in the morning , porridge in the afternoon and thin snow cover in places too. I did my knee so didnt ski most of the week but they needed snow and half term week should be great.
snow conditions
Thinking of getting a flight to Milan either this coming Monday or the following one and heading for the Monterosa / Aosta Valley area for 3 days on the piste. Am hedging my bets that as Italy doesn't have the month-long half-term holidays of France and Switzerland, those areas should be as quiet as anywhere during the "working" week. How are conditions holding up on the pistes at the moment, please? Thanks in advance Little Angel
snow conditions
@jebroni3_16, you know that the GnarliBuG will bring ~50 snowHeads to Monterosa for the week of 2-9th March? Ask @admin nicely and you might be able to join some of the guided off-piste?
snow report
Thanks @tomj. I didn't realise until earlier today, no.

I was quite set on going next week, but having booked absolutely nothing, I am still able to go the following week, albeit still just Monday to Friday. And whilst I was initially leaning towards Aosta / Pila and Le Thuile, I know that @admin seems to have some mystical power over the weather for bashes, so I thought I might need to consider a day towards Gressoney.

I need to have a proper look at driving times etc first though
latest report
Think Malpensa is closest to aosta, then Linate then Bergamo

Then in Aosta Pila is prob quickest resort to get to, not sure thereafter but prob la thuile, courmayeur cervinia alagna champoluc gressoney

Have the sense the last 3 are further into the side valleys and the first 3 in or just off the main valley

That may all be wrong though!
snow report
@8611, Turin is closest airport, Bergamo a very ling way away.

Alagna a good distance further than Champoluc or Gressoney! La Thuile poss a longer drive than Courmayeur …
snow report
Ask a local!
latest report
off in a few weeks, any recommendations (or avoids) for lunch stops, not after a huge luncheon but a yummy bowl of pasta or meat&cheese plate etc, ta
ski holidays
It's easy to find great pizzas and anything typical con polenta but when, after a few days, we need a change, we quite like Novez (the sign says 9ovez) above Champoluc.
It's quite creative cooking without being overly fussy.

At the other end, on the run down into Alagna, there's Wittine Der Shoppf, it's on the left on a steepish section just after a right-hand turn.
More typical food but well-made and good value. They're also quite snowHeads-friendly (note the stickers on the door snowHead ) so be wearing your snowHeads buff or stickers on your helmets snowHead
ski holidays
@hobbiteater, we often stop for lunch at https://www.albergodelponte.com/en/hotel-on-the-ski-slopes/ just off the first piste into Stafal from Alagna direction.

Simple, unfussy.
snow report
I have stayed at the Albergo del Ponte. Fab location first on the piste in the morning. Have a Grapa with the piste basher drivers at night.
snow report
thanks guys!
ski holidays
Seems to be belting it down with snow across all the Aosta Valley / Italy in gerneral. god bless the föhn and set to be snowy on and off for a week -10 days or so.
snow conditions
I dont know why I do this to myself but I see that Monterosa is due 35cm of snow today and 80cm next weekend, meanwhile our trip at the end of January was plus degrees all week and no snow for over a month!

Just my damn luck, every year!

Enjoy it this week, looks incredible.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Harry3 wrote:
I dont know why I do this to myself but I see that Monterosa is due 35cm of snow today and 80cm next weekend, meanwhile our trip at the end of January was plus degrees all week and no snow for over a month!

Just my damn luck, every year!

Enjoy it this week, looks incredible.

Well it snowed on and off for a week from 3rd -10 Jan, but early march does look to be an ideal time to visit this year, but I was pretty happy with my 11 Jan arrival...
snow report
I am also gutted. Literally had a place booked near Alagna for this weekend but had to cancel as moving flats Sad
snow report
@admin worked his magic. Snow fell.

I'm *extremely excited* about the GnarliBuG starting this weekend!
ski holidays
Swamped in snow in Courmayeur today, officially 40cm fresh in past 24 hrs. Lashing down now in Aosta and has been for some time today. So looking good for Monterosa also.
snow report
Officially shitting it down in Champoluc this evening (drove an underpowered hire car along mountain roads in the midst of it, just to check the winter tyres…).

Looking forward to a bit of fresh in the morning snowHead
latest report
Peter Ross wrote:
Swamped in snow in Courmayeur today, officially 40cm fresh in past 24 hrs. Lashing down now in Aosta and has been for some time today. So looking good for Monterosa also.

Any rain down low?

Looking at skiing 03-10 March in the valley.
ski holidays
absolutely stonking it down again with snow again this morning
snow report
How's it looking over there? I live nearby in Valtournenche and we're planning to head there tomorrow / Monday, likely to Champoluc since it's the closest. Hoping the connections are open but if not will enjoy the trees on that side. Any recent condition and lift status updates would be much appreciated. If tomorrow's forecast is true, looks a bit wild to be on the slopes. Cheers !
snow report
Anyone know much about situation at smaller Monterosa resorts? Both Brusson and Champorcher seem to have had most of thei runs shut all season, even when snow should be ok and weekend. Am keen on the magic pass deal if they repeat it next year but off putting if openings are so hit and miss, particularly on steeper slopes.
snow conditions
@Deibitto, does Brusson even have any downhill slopes?
snow report
Estoul ( just up the hill from Brusson) does. We were in Champoluc for most of feb, but in that time only the smaller chairlift was running. I think due to lack of snow. A shame as it was a nice little ski hill with good views.
ski holidays
@under a new name, yep. See https://monterosaski.eu/en/in-tempo-reale/skirama/brusson

Not a bad vertical if all open. All the magic pass places are small but for us fine for a couple of days each and makes skiing affordable. Don't mind doing same run a lot.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy